Safe dashboard cleaner / protector for Infiniti / Nissan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have two (now three) older Infinitis. The '06 G35 and '06 FX45 both had their dashboards replaced under warranty and both of them are now cracked again. I try to take the best possible care of all parts of the car. I've used most well-regarded cleaners, never armor-all. Most recently I've been using 303 Aerospace and/or some McGuires spray stuff - both with UV protection. I prefer little to no shine. Needless to say, both are now cracked again all over the place, and they are generally kept in a garage and parked under a tree - unless it is going to rain. I've now purchased a 2012 FX50s with a dirty (but unblemished) dashboard and I am afraid to even clean it.

On our old BMW ('08) I could use a scrub brush with light soap on the dashboard and it looked like brand new until selling it in 2016. Obviously, whatever Nissan uses is not as durable, is there anything that is safe to use on this generation of soft vinyl dash? I know people with Lexus cars have the same problems here - I don't know if it is the temperature or the humidity or the stuff I use. On the first FX dashboard I used Zaino stuff exclusively, after it was replaced I used everything else with similar results.

Also - does the clear windshield tint that is supposed to block UV actually help? I think my windows are supposed to block UV.

I like driving the older Infinitis, so suggesting I buy a car that doesn't degrade isn't a great option.

Thanks!

To your question is there anything safe to use on that generation of soft vinyl dash? I don't know how anyone can answer that, the dashboard is clearly defective since it's a widespread problem, trying to find a cleaner that works for defective dashboards is not going to be easy. Especially given the Meguiar's cleaners are already extremely mild, even more mild than Armorall. I've had Armorall remove factory painted details on the center console (like the labeling over the buttons) where as Meguiar's never does that.

In fact I would argue the dashboard would have cracked without cleaning it anyway so what difference does the cleaner make?

Nissan in general has a [censored] track record with dashboards especially in that timeframe (like the melting Altima coupe dashboards).

The 2012+ model year had a revised dash, it holds up better then the earlier generations. I've been using Turtle Wax Ice Interior Protector and Cleaner on my 12 G37's interior plastic and dash since I got the car about 4 years ago with very good results. The car is typically stored outside and has the original dash and interior panels, no cracks, bubbling warping or discoloration ect. That product does leave everything a little shinier then I like but you can wipe it with a dry microfiber after to tone it down a bit.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
To your question is there anything safe to use on that generation of soft vinyl dash? I don't know how anyone can answer that, the dashboard is clearly defective since it's a widespread problem, trying to find a cleaner that works for defective dashboards is not going to be easy. Especially given the Meguiar's cleaners are already extremely mild, even more mild than Armorall. I've had Armorall remove factory painted details on the center console (like the labeling over the buttons) where as Meguiar's never does that.

In fact I would argue the dashboard would have cracked without cleaning it anyway so what difference does the cleaner make?

Nissan in general has a [censored] track record with dashboards especially in that timeframe (like the melting Altima coupe dashboards).

I agree that the dashboards probably would have cracked regardless, but I want to make sure I use something that won't accelerate the process - ideally, I'd like to slow it down.

I use Gyeon LeatherCoat which can be used on all interior soft surfaces. It adds UV protection.

As for cleaning, a slightly damp cloth is all I use. If there is a buildup of something then I use a weak dilution of APC.

I just recently used TurtleWax Dash and Glass and I like it. I didn't spray it directly on the dash but lightly misted a microfiber towel and wiped everything down. I don't care to try the glass part but what did get on the glass wiped away easily. Available at Walmart, priced decently. Left the dash looking like new no shine or anything....
Used it on my F150 if that means anything.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I use Gyeon LeatherCoat which can be used on all interior soft surfaces. It adds UV protection.

As for cleaning, a slightly damp cloth is all I use. If there is a buildup of something then I use a weak dilution of APC.

^^^^^This right here. I use a damp cloth to wipe down the interior of my vehicles, I just figure that some of these chemicals may lead to unforseen deterioration or bothersome buildup over time. Can I prove it? No, but I know a damp cloth cleans my dash just fine if it's not allowed to get out of control and it leaves no chemicals behind. I also use sunshades when parked outside to keep the sun from beating down on my dash, I figure that helps with the fading and cracking situation.
With that said, that cracking and bubbling problem that the infinity's had was probably going to happen no matter what anyone did. I've seen a few and they're horrendous!

Yeah, I use the dashguard as well. Mine have never blistered or gotten sticky, they just developed cracks around the air vents and a couple other spots. And they used to be soft, now they are not soft.

I just want to make the 2012, which looks perfect, stay perfect as long as possible. If that means tinting the windshield with a clear UV tint, I'd do it.

I've used leather conditioner on all interior surfaces of my cars as long as I've been driving. I've never once had a cracked dash.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I've used leather conditioner on all of my interior surfaces aside from my dash with good results. It never occurred to me to try it on my dash. I don't even know what it's made of - some type of rubber, I guess?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I've used leather conditioner on all interior surfaces of my cars as long as I've been driving. I've never once had a cracked dash.

I've started doing this has well... So far so good.

Originally Posted by bbhero

What name brand are you people using? I have never thought about using leather conditioner on my dash.
Do you clean with a thin coat on an applicator pad, then wipe it off with a microfiber towel?

It makes sense because automotive leather is plastic coated and most automotive leather conditioners are probably plastic conditioners. It might not work to use a natural leather boot conditioner like mink oil on your dash.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by bbhero

What name brand are you people using? I have never thought about using leather conditioner on my dash.
Do you clean with a thin coat on an applicator pad, then wipe it off with a microfiber towel?

I've had many favorites. My current favorite is Turtle Wax Luxe leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

It makes sense because automotive leather is plastic coated and most automotive leather conditioners are probably plastic conditioners. It might not work to use a natural leather boot conditioner like mink oil on your dash.

A good leather product will work on both. It's one of those legendary detailer's secrets. Vinyl and plastic "protectants" contain a ton of harsh chemicals whereas leather conditioners contain aloe,shea butter,coconut oil,and uv inhibiters. If it's gentle enough to be used on intricate leather stitching it's gentle enough for dashboards. Can't go wrong imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back