30 Weight Rotella Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using 5W-40 Rotella synthetic in all my vehicles for years. I recently bought a Subaru outback that calls for 5W-30, and I've been recommended to use even 5W-20. So, I get the feeling that Rotella is a bit too thick for my Subie.

Anyone have a recommendation for a full synthetic 5W-30 or 10W-30 that will live up to the standard of Rotella? Something less than $20/gallon preferably.

Pennzoil Platinum is hard to beat.

You could use Rotella in the Subie with no ill effects though. More so in Florida.

You know there IS a Rotella 10W30. I don't know if there are Menards in Florida (which is a Home Depot / Lowe's competitor), but they usually have it. I paid under $10 for a gallon.

I believe you can order it from Advance Auto Parts and have seen it once in a blue moon at Wal Mart.

I think you're asking for a full synth HDEO in a 30 grade. There are no options over the counter that I'm aware of. That is, I think you'll be ordering it in no matter which way you go.

I couldn't quite figure out if the Schaeffer 9000 5w-30 would qualify.

Otherwise (and there may be a couple of more)

Amsoil

HDD/ACD

Chevron

Delo 400 0w-30

If you go to blends, then Shell has the Rotella SB HDEO's

10w-30/0w-30 (meets SJ/CH-4)

All are gonna cost you compared to WM 5 quart jugs of anything
21.gif

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to look over the oils available at Walmart during my next trip, but currently am leaning towards Penzoil Platinum.

If he's willing to go dino .then Rotella 10w-30 (or other 10w-30 HDEO) should be available at most farm/fleet (TSC type places) outlet. He may have to buy a 5 gallon pail.

The 10W-30 HDEO Group II (pdf) based motor oils already mentioned, like Rotella and Delo 400 offer an excellent level of performance these days, even though they are not synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back