30" Deep Tool Box

Follow-up to this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/downsizing-from-44-toolbox-to-service-cart.346774/

After some rearranging, I found a way to squeeze a 56" toolbox into my garage. In order to maximize the use of this space, I need to go with a 30" deep tool box.

Does anyone have recommendations? The current top contender is the Tool Vault Elite 55":

Link: https://strictlytoolboxes.com/product/tool-vault-elite-553010-rc-10-drawer-tool-cabinet/
Video:

Ideally, I would prefer a 72" but that would require some garage modifications that I prefer to avoid.

This box will be for home use.

Last edited:
I didn't like overly deep toolboxes since it'll force me to skip food and live on slimfast to squeeze past the 2 cars in the garage and the cabinets/chests/boxes along the walls on either side.

Home usage depends on how busy you are at home. Consider harborfreight or even Lowesdepot unless future plans require the higher quality box. Some boasters just need to spend excessively and is understandable. Pretty sure my snap-on set was 40 years old when I sold it to my cousin.

Won't ever bother buying certain 'upperscale' brands after seeing this one in my neighbors garage:

I didn't like overly deep toolboxes since it'll force me to skip food and live on slimfast to squeeze past the 2 cars in the garage and the cabinets/chests/boxes along the walls on either side.
I already move the cars out before doing any work, so that is a non-issue.

Home usage depends on how busy you are at home. Consider harborfreight or even Lowesdepot unless future plans require the higher quality box. Some boasters just need to spend excessively and is understandable.
Seems like the selection of 30" deep boxes are pretty limited.

I've always drooled over 30" deep boxes, and I've never used one. I've always been curious if it's just a little too deep to where things get lost in the back or you almost have to take a step back to fully open the drawer.

Regardless, I want one but I too worry about the space lost from a box that would be 6" deeper than my existing boxes.....I guess I'll never know .... first world problems

Follow-up to this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/downsizing-from-44-toolbox-to-service-cart.346774/

After some rearranging, I found a way to squeeze a 56" toolbox into my garage. In order to maximize the use of this space, I need to go with a 30" deep tool box.

Does anyone have recommendations? The current top contender is the Tool Vault Elite 55":

Link: https://strictlytoolboxes.com/product/tool-vault-elite-553010-rc-10-drawer-tool-cabinet/
Video:

Ideally, I would prefer a 72" but that would require some garage modifications that I prefer to avoid.

Will you have room to stack a top box on top of the 56 in the future ?

I know you like quality items. There are a lot of things at HF that will not go in my garage. But the U.S. General series 2 boxes are very stout. I have the 72 with a 56 on top. ( they did not make a 72 top when i bought it ).

Locking drawers. Has expandable end cabinets. Drawer cabinet or 3 shelf end locker. I bought mine nov 2019. So far no issues, locking drawers work fine. Only thing is, the drawers only open from the right hand side, thats where the latch is. Does not bother me, but might annoy some.

It's 22 deep, so less than 30 inches. Its pretty heavy. It's no snap on, but its more than good for a home garage. I will say, i have no luck getting a set of swivel castors from HF to replace the 2 no swivel casters, been out of stock for some time.

Take a look at the 56. Its not light or flimsy. IF 22 deep caused you to run out of storage space, you could set a 56" top box or even a 44"

My 72 with a 56 top box.

IMG_20200723_195041957.jpg
IMG_20221007_201327591.jpg

IMG_20221007_201356532.jpg

Even the cat likes it.
IMG_20200429_215430536.jpg

I know you like quality items. There are a lot of things at HF that will not go in my garage. But the U.S. General series 2 boxes are very stout. I have the 72 with a 56 on top. ( they did not make a 72 top when i bought it ).

Locking drawers. Has expandable end cabinets. Drawer cabinet or 3 shelf end locker. I bought mine nov 2019. So far no issues, locking drawers work fine. Only thing is, the drawers only open from the right hand side, thats where the latch is. Does not bother me, but might annoy some.

It's 22 deep, so less than 30 inches. Its pretty heavy. It's no snap on, but its more than good for a home garage. I will say, i have no luck getting a set of swivel castors from HF to replace the 2 no swivel casters, been out of stock for some time.

Take a look at the 56. Its not light or flimsy. IF 22 deep caused you to run out of storage space, you could set a 56" top box or even a 44"

My 72 with a 56 top box.
Thanks for sharing. I have no concerns about the quality of the Series 2. The 44” version has served me well for the last 3 years. I do need a work surface of some type in the garage, so I don’t think a top box will be in the cards. But my opinion on that may change as time goes on.

I guess I should stop by HF and take a look at the 56” in person. I am also interested in the Icon, but at that price, I’d want a 30” deep drawer.

I've always drooled over 30" deep boxes, and I've never used one. I've always been curious if it's just a little too deep to where things get lost in the back or you almost have to take a step back to fully open the drawer.

Regardless, I want one but I too worry about the space lost from a box that would be 6" deeper than my existing boxes.....I guess I'll never know .... first world problems

I keep a mental note of what's in the back of my drawers, As like most I open them just enough to extract what I need. I've seen short guys with limited reach struggle with taller-deeper box's, For example Snap-on 7000 series boxes are shorter than 1000 series boxes but both are 29" deep.

Most pro's demand a 29"-30" deep box, I think ICON/Harbor Freight missed the mark by making the flagship box 25".

For that kind of money, I would rather have a used KRL1022 in cherry condition. Future parts replacements would be easy to acquire.

That would be my concern about a non snap on box is part availability for repair down the road. Even Mac cornwell etc have issues with that.

Maybe put the bug in your snap on dealers ear for a used one. They vary a lot by region pricing wise.

But they love moving boxes asap as well would give you too much on paper for your HF 44 too

I was offered an epic 60 for like 3 grand plus a trade I had that wasn’t that expensive so deals are out there

Video:

Old eyes for the loss… I was thinking “A 30’ deep toolbox is called a garage” and color me jelly 😎

The substitutes in this thread aren’t bad though lol

Reactions: D60
Back