30,000 miles AMSOIL 5w30 1993Taurus SHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are results of my brothers car I ended up with after my 1991 SHO was stolen
from me last sept.
We bought the car in 2004 and added AMSOIL into the engine and from all the upkeep
after buying a used car we just never felt like changing the oil, it used/leaked
a quart every 1000 miles,
just a few months ago the car quit running and I had to change all the sensors
and I fixed the leaking cam sensor seal that was stealing all my money. so now
the oil stays put, I am posting up the results from it's first UOA and I wonder
if I need to change the oil? from the results I dont think I need to.
One thing I may need to change with this particular engine is the Rod bearings
, since these engines are known for beating them up.
well here we go
Aluminum 3
Chromium 2
Iron 20
Copper 7
Lead 36
Tin 3
Moly 48
Potassium 2
Silicon 7
Sodium 9
Calcium 3077
Magnesium 15
Phosphorus 672
boron n/a
Zinc 828
cST Viscosity @100 10.9

no tbn with this sample

with more than 30,000 miles on this oil and plenty of fresh
quarts added in over the years this oil will stay in the crankcase

Originally Posted By: dave123
With 30 fresh QT's you spent more on oil than the car is worth.

ouch! but I agree! still I will not change the oil and the leak I had is gone, so far 900 miles and it is stil in the cross hatch and that is with me pulling a sample too.
at least 10 oil changes is something I can skip on I spent it at the Beach, the track, on the road! LOL not at some Jipme lube! LOL!!

Makes you wonder if at lets say 6000 miles you change out the filter and 2 qts of oil. Call it a partial OC, that is one of many possible combinations. How long can an OCI be stretched doing something along those lines?

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Makes you wonder if at lets say 6000 miles you change out the filter and 2 qts of oil. Call it a partial OC, that is one of many possible combinations. How long can an OCI be stretched doing something along those lines?

AD

this is why I took this oil sample, now that I fixed the oil leak in due time I will get a better UOA with a TBN and NIT OXI reading to better understand the oil condition.
I could add a bypass but I dont really like this car, I want a 5 speed, I hope the bottom feeder brings my old car back one day
mad.gif

anyway I did change out the SDF oil filter 2 years ago and added a EAO, it is still on there, and for the duration it had an old stlye AMSOIL air filter that I just swapped out for a EAA filter. looks like I was doing just fine!

The title you used for this thread is deceiving. You did that for attention/shock value so that people would read it. There is no value in this to others. You're nothing but an attention whore.

with 30 qts of makeup, this sample doesn't have 30k miles on it. if your sump is 5 qts, just the 30qts of makeup, that's six oil changes. I would have used supertech until the oil leak was fixed.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

The title you used for this thread is deceiving. You did that for attention/shock value so that people would read it. There is no value in this to others. You're nothing but an attention whore.

maybe you are right? I wanted to be the first to post up a UOA that was different than the normal ones posted here.
Maybe it does not float ur boat
05.gif
but there is nothing decieving with the title, I have not drained any oil for 3 years and I have had to add to my engine every 3 months, Im sure there are plenty of people in my boat having to add oil as they go.
thanks for your vote of confidence anyway!!!

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Wow, tell us how you really feel. I for one am impressed with the metal numbers. I'd like to see a TBN but it is probably fairly high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
with 30 qts of makeup, this sample doesn't have 30k miles on it. if your sump is 5 qts, just the 30qts of makeup, that's six oil changes. I would have used supertech until the oil leak was fixed.

10 oil changes would cost $200 in oil alone not to mention the time at wally world or you laying on cardboard.
I was at the beach or driving some place, I dont worry about oil changes!

if you cant fathom it then it just cant be true and they have to be a troll! LOL! you must feel Threatened everytime I post anything positive about AMSOIL your so silly!
43.gif

It's just that this is not a true indicator of how the oil performed with so many new quarts added. You're just so over the top Amsoil. It's a VERY good oil, no doubt, but come on...you're just SO Amsoil nutty. If I were a dealer on this forum I'd want to scream.

I'm done...

It's impossible to tell if this is a 'good run' or not. Wear metals are low, but with that much make-up oil, its just been 'flushed out'.

One thing I will agree is that your bearing wear is high - its not 'supposed' to be higher than iron, or you have a wear problem from too low visc., or so I've read. In Forida, I'd change the oil to 10W-40 and see how it does.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's impossible to tell if this is a 'good run' or not.

It's good enough for him so who cares what anyone else thinks?

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

10 oil changes would cost $200 in oil alone not to mention the time at wally world or you laying on cardboard.
I was at the beach or driving some place, I dont worry about oil changes!

OK. Now, if somebody was doing 5K OCI's using conventional on this car, that is six oil changes, as Cutehumor pointed out.

I just checked Amazon.com, and I could buy a case of TWELVE litres of Valvoline 5w30 for $32.28. So, 30L of Valvoline would cost $80.70. Add a Motorcraft filter for $4.00, or six of them for $24.00, and our grand total for SIX oil changes is $104.70.

Now, for an average Joe without PC or dealer pricing, 30L of AMSOIL is going to cost $262.50, and that's without shipping. And no filters.

Even using dealer/PC pricing, the 30L of makeup oil cost you more than TWICE what six oil changes would have cost within that time frame.

Lying on the beach or otherwise, you spent an [censored]-load of money on make-up oil and I bet there was just as much work involved opening the hood 30 times to add oil to that beast as there would have been changing it six times too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back