3 Pack of Pennzoil Synthetic Euro L 5W-30 5qt. for $43.29 ($2.89/qt) @ Amz

Ordered November 20th. Showed up today.
IMG_4911.jpg

Gotcha. I think dexos 2 isn't the best for turbo gdi from what I read. Doesn't apply to me, just an FYI for whomever.
From a SAPS perspective, it's good for GDI. Since most diesels are turbos, I assumed it would be fine for TGDI. But I know that's not exactly equivalent.

From a SAPS perspective, it's good for GDI. Since most diesels are turbos, I assumed it would be fine for TGDI. But I know that's not exactly equivalent.
This is a pretty good explanation:

My orders from early December I updated the payment method a couple weeks ago as my CC got hacked.
I think doing that reset the order date to the date I changed the payment method. The previous estimated delivery date disappeared.
Today the delivery dates finally updated: Monday, February 12, 2024 - Sunday, March 17, 2024. So I now have another one to two months wait. Fortunately I don't really need this, as I have four gallons already for some upcoming changes.

It has some T/GDI euro approvals (BMW LL04, MB 229.51) however if your automaker recommends API SN+ or SP then this oil may not be the best choice.
My vehicles are speced for 20 weight oils. But I've switched all of them to the higher HTHS 5W-30 3 years ago and am very happy with that decision. Also, I'm thinking of migrating them to only use ACEA A3/B4 or C3 based oils with HTHS 3.5+.

I honestly don't think API SN or SP is a very strict standard - the bar is too low.
I prefer to look for the Dexos 1 Gen 3 certification as a bare minimum on any low priced full synthetic 5W-30 that I buy,
or ACEA A3/B4 or C3 if buying a Euro oil.

My vehicles are speced for 20 weight oils. But I've switched all of them to the higher HTHS 5W-30 3 years ago and am very happy with that decision. Also, I'm thinking of migrating them to only use ACEA A3/B4 or C3 based oils with HTHS 3.5+.

I honestly don't think API SN or SP is a very strict standard - the bar is too low.
I prefer to look for the Dexos 1 Gen 3 certification as a bare minimum on any low priced full synthetic 5W-30 that I buy,
or ACEA A3/B4 or C3 if buying a Euro oil.
I mentioned SN+ and SP because they both have a LSPI test and SP contains the TGDI chain wear test. The euro certs I mentioned have a chain wear test performed on their own GTDI engines. I only know the tests exists but I'm not aware of how they compare to API. Seeing as the tests under SN+/SP are performed on a highly modified* TGDI engine it may be more stringent if not equally stringent.

*ex, modified rings which introduce excess soot into the crank case.

Back