3 mpg gain by cleaning up the undercarriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost would be the big reason automakers don't install more streamlined belly pans at the factory. Also, dealer service department staff would probably complain to the automakers if they had to remove such pans for routine work.

However, I could also see a risk with an aftermarket installation if the air entering the engine compartment through the grille and radiator cannot flow out efficiently. The air under the hood could stagnate, so the modifications could lead to overheating. Watch your coolant temperature gauge in the summer to stay safe.

The underside of my '03 Passat seems to have attention paid to it, as far as streamlining is concerned. There are two or three plastic panels under there, including a big one under the engine.

When I worked for AMG Mercedes, the cars were hand modified in a similar way. We had to get the Hammers to do 200+ mph and the undercarriage sheet aluminum was a key factor.
3 mpg better at 65 mph from this alone? That is VERY hard for me to believe, so I won't.

My Civic Hybrid has a plastic "plate" under the engine, held on with six plastic screws. The folks at the Greenhybrid forum suggest it alone adds about 3 % to fuel effeciency.

Dimple the sheet metal akin to a golf ball.

Should give an additional couple extra of those mpg thingys.

Or, at least, a little extra range during thine "drives."

Or just "putting" around town...
stooges.gif
whistle.gif

By sheer accident a Volvo owner on another board (tjts1) put a piece of plastic between his rear axle and the bottom of his rear bumper. Poof he got an instant 1.5 mpg increase in gas mileage. That was where the original idea came from. BTW that piece of plastic was a carpet protector he got at an office supply store. The kind of plastic that an office chair sits on. In my case the biggest mpg gain is protecting the air flow from striking the rear bumper upon exiting.
If you look underneath the bumper it is basically a U shaped piece of aluminum. The open side facing the exiting air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back