3 Mad Ponchos Amsoil 1,000 mile results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I posted the link to his 1000 mile results as soon as they came out, and we had a long discussion already:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001116

I'm very surprised he hasn't come in to discuss it with us though.

I'm also curious as to why it took him longer to put the first 1000 miles on the car this time around compared to how quickly he was doing it during the last testing. At the rate he's going, if it continues at that rate, he wouldn't come close to hitting 18,000 miles in one year, so he'd end up stopping the Amsoil test at a lower mileage (since he's set up the one year time limit) It would be nice to see Amsoil go beyond 20,000 miles on this test.

Don't forget he had a rinse cycle in the middle (NOT AutoRx). As I recall, he said he went over 3K or so on the rinse Amsoil......

I think he just needs some encouragement. People have been bad mouthing him for the order of oils, for using Amsoil, for not doing Redline first, for his sampling technique, for not swapping filters, for swapping filters, for not starting earlier, for not AutoRxing, for the change of seasons, for the phase of the moon, for asking for donations, people asking stupid questions and allegations when he clearly has the info on his web page...on and on...

Nothing wrong with scientific critique, just keep your verbal hands and arms in the ride at all times.

The "test" is the test. Let it proceed, and with Godspeed. Thank you.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Don't forget he had a rinse cycle in the middle (NOT AutoRx). As I recall, he said he went over 3K or so on the rinse Amsoil......

I know about that, but I'm talking about the fact that he put the Amsoil in on Nov 19th according to his website, and didn't hit 1000 miles on it until Dec 11th. Compare that to his previous tests where he put on 1000 miles at a much faster rate, sometimes in as little as two weeks.

Per Patman:

quote:

I know about that, but I'm talking about the fact that he put the Amsoil in on Nov 19th according to his website, and didn't hit 1000 miles on it until Dec 11th. Compare that to his previous tests where he put on 1000 miles at a much faster rate, sometimes in as little as two weeks.

Oh, OK. Maybe he has a sore butt.
confused.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm also curious as to why it took him longer to put the first 1000 miles on the car this time around compared to how quickly he was doing it during the last testing.

Holidays and such is my guess. Hopefully he'll be back into the swing of things soon...

(Sore butt! LOL)

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The "test" is the test. Let it proceed, and with Godspeed. Thank you.

Yeah, I agree totally. One posted test result does not a test make. And if anyone was overly critical of the results, nothing is stopping them from running their own test, setting up their own test web site, etc. Haven't seen much of that yet
grin.gif
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm also curious as to why it took him longer to put the first 1000 miles on the car this time around compared to how quickly he was doing it during the last testing.

Holidays and such is my guess. Hopefully he'll be back into the swing of things soon...

(Sore butt! LOL)

You're probably right. I looked closer at his test from last year and it got off to a slow start in November and December too, so it'll probably follow the same pattern this time around too.

Have we discussed this already?

3MP seems a little weary of criticism

"Okay, with our first Amsoil sample in, you can start sending the hate mail. We know that from this point forward, nothing we say will go un-flogged by the armchair critics out there."

I would think that lower wear can be expected
from higher viscosity if most of the wear comes
from HT/HS conditions.

amsoil oil life

cheers.gif

Jae

I checked his site again this morning and noticed he took the 2000 mile sample yesterday.

It does seem he's driving less than last year though, so it looks like it'll take longer to get to each 1000 mile sample.

For instance, he started the M1 test on Nov 9 and hit 1000 miles by Dec 3, 2000 miles by Dec 12 and 3000 miles by Dec 31st. Compare that to this test where he started it on Nov 19th, hit 1000 miles by Dec 11 and was only at 2000 miles by Jan 5th. So he's already 1000 miles behind the old pace basically.

I do hope he joins us on here again soon!

I also notice he's added more info to the Mobil 1 portion of his test, so go check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

Really? I was surprised that he went from 18k to like 31k in so little time. Where does he do all this driving???

Also, it looks like we'll have the 2k mi. results soon too. But, we're back to topping up...another 1/2 qt. in 1k mi. Will allow for some mileage comparison to M-1, but will screw the results again as a complete oil change will be done in a few thou mi. How much is being used up to do the sample????

The sample itself is only about 3oz of oil, so the reason he needs to top up so much is because he drains a little bit of oil first, then takes the sample, then screws the drain plug back on fully (he only loosens the drain plug enough to get a trickle of oil flowing out)

Since he followed this method on the first test, he's going to continue it, but the better way to do it would've been to use a suction pump to draw out only the oil he needs, or to use a Fumoto valve and drain out one quart into a clean container, taken the sample, then poured that quart back into the engine. This way he got a midstream sample, but did not lose much oil.

The guy has done a heck of a lot of work for a bunch of strangers and he needs to be applauded.

To 3MP
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
The guy has done a heck of a lot of work for a bunch of strangers and he needs to be applauded.

To 3MP
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Definitely! His work is very much appreciated, especially when he's putting himself out so much by spending so much time crawling underneath his car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back