3.2 Million Mile Volvo Owner Passes Away - Car Still Running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What I'd like to see is the highest mileage car with no engine rebuilds whatsoever. Once an engine needs a rebuild imo it's no longer the original car with the original mileage,after all,the engine is the "heart" of the car. I remember people in the 80s driving pos cars that started knocking way before 100,000 miles. To me,that's when the car is toast and no longer its "original miles".

Although I sorta agree with you, most only see the ODO clock and the rest doesn't matter much.

A car (or truck, whatever) can keep driving FOREVER. Can go thru 2, 3, or 10 engines / transmissions and can have absolutely zero original parts left, because everything has already been replaced. It's cool to see a high mileage ODO but at the end of the day, it's not the original drivetrain anymore.

Now if you simply rebuild the block and keep going on the original equipment, I think it's fair to say that it's still the original engine. Replacing seals, piston rings, etc is allowed... technically.

The only real high mileage original untouched engine you'll see is from a semi truck. They are rated for 1,000,000 miles before a rebuild "might" be needed.

IMO, everything else will die long before a Million. Your average car engine simply isn't designed for that type of mileage.

I'm sorry to hear that he has passed away. I always liked the fact that he drove that Volvo everywhere. And that he maintained it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back