RIP: Indy Funny Car winner Don Schumacher passes away

Love or hate him, everyone always hates "the big guy", there is no denying what he built and what he has done for the NHRA community over the past 27 years.

From Tony's 1st round somber idling win from the #16 qualifying spot at the 1996 US Nationals to being the foundation of so many teams between Don Schumacher Racing and Don Schumacher Manufacturing. His loss will be felt throughout.

I don't know him from the early era, only the more modern eras.

certainly an NHRA legend that will be sadly missed. He is one of the many greats that are "getting long in the tooth"

Others that come to mind are Garlits, Prudhomme, Kalitta etc... Many of the guys that helped to shape the sport as it is known today.

Just my $0.02

certainly an NHRA legend that will be sadly missed. He is one of the many greats that are "getting long in the tooth"

Others that come to mind are Garlits, Prudhomme, Kalitta etc... Many of the guys that helped to shape the sport as it is known today.

Just my $0.02
It’s kind of amazing we have the ones we do. Considering the level of safety then, they should all be dead.

I got to meet Garlits last May, you’d never guess than man is in his 90s.

Just my $0.02
John Force must be getting up there in age as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Solidly in his 70s, 76/77 I believe.

He's currently 74. He's still competitive, so he could be driving for awhile.

The oldest competitor I can recall, is Chris "The Golden Greek' Karamesines, who last piloted a TF/D at Las Vegas in 2020, at 88 years of age. His granddaughter, Krista Baldwin, now runs the car.

Last edited:
He's currently 74. He's still competitive, so he could be driving for awhile.

The oldest competitor I can recall, is Chris "The Golden Greek' Karamesines, who last piloted a TF/D at Las Vegas in 2020, at 88 years of age. His granddaughter, Krista Baldwin, now runs the car.
Chris is the oldest for sure, but Force will be the oldest competitive professional.

I was invited into Don's coach with Tony and my friend I was with. My friend knew both Don and Tony well. Don was a class act, easy to talk to, and always thinking. He took the time to ask me about me, which was a surprise given his busyness with all of his businesses.

Back