3.0 EB TT V6 Oil Options

2022 Explorer ST 3.0 V6 Twin Turbo EB

Almost at 1k miles and looking to do my first oil change, I have only found a few UOA's from this engine online. Everyone of them seemed to show a decent amount of oil shear and all the 5w-30s where down to 5w-20 by 4-5k miles.

My goal is to run for 1y/5k (I do not drive a ton but does sit idle and some short trips). I require a 5w-30, SP rated oil to maintain the factory/extended warranty.

Not asking the best oil as I know that is subjective.... I am asking what would you run in these specs that has a better chance of not breaking down by 5k.

My son has a 2019 Explorer with I believe that same engine. 73K mostly highway miles and Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30 from day one. Vehicle has been well maintained but now has the dreaded cam phaser rattle. Going to the shop next week for evaluation. He purchased an extended warranty from Ford so we will see how they treat the problem.

Don't think I'd like to have one of these engines. They seem to have trouble even with the best oil changes.

Anything d1g3 should work for you. Maybe one of the EP syns might be best, like PUP (if you can find it), M1 EP, Castrol gold bottle, etc.

Does your Explorer have the IOLM? :unsure:

My son has a 2019 Explorer with I believe that same engine. 73K mostly highway miles and Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30 from day one. Vehicle has been well maintained but now has the dreaded cam phaser rattle. Going to the shop next week for evaluation. He purchased an extended warranty from Ford so we will see how they treat the problem.

Don't think I'd like to have one of these engines. They seem to have trouble even with the best oil changes.

The 2019 had the 3.5, different platform.

Anything d1g3 should work for you. Maybe one of the EP syns might be best, like PUP (if you can find it), M1 EP, Castrol gold bottle, etc.

Does your Explorer have the IOLM? :unsure:

Yes it has a IOLM, from everything I have read says do not go past 5kish regardless of the OLM. These engines are DI only and known for fuel dilution.

The 2019 had the 3.5, different platform.

Yes it has a IOLM, from everything I have read says do not go past 5kish regardless of the OLM. These engines are DI only and known for fuel dilution.
They are hybrid DI/PFI though, correct? (whoops, see your DI-only comment now) Minimize idling, make sure at least once a week to have it at highway speeds for 30-60 minutes to make sure oil is hot enough to boil off as much fuel as possible.

Catch cans on EBs are never a bad investment- I routinely get 2-3 ounces of light fractions & fuel in my JLT catch can per 5-6k OCI… definitely not something you want floating around in the intake and on the backs of the intake valves. Plus, with boost, oil is known to be a cause of detonation & other bad things when introduced into the intake tract…

They are hybrid DI/PFI though, correct? (whoops, see your DI-only comment now) Minimize idling, make sure at least once a week to have it at highway speeds for 30-60 minutes to make sure oil is hot enough to boil off as much fuel as possible.

Catch cans on EBs are never a bad investment- I routinely get 2-3 ounces of light fractions & fuel in my JLT catch can per 5-6k OCI… definitely not something you want floating around in the intake and on the backs of the intake valves. Plus, with boost, oil is known to be a cause of detonation & other bad things when introduced into the intake tract…

Correct, DI only that runs a miller cycle? Most of my driving is a 10min idle warm up and then a 20min highway drive to work. 6x days a week.

I did already install a UPR duel valve catch can at around 400 miles.

Direct Injection only on the 3.0, same as the current gen of 2.3 - so common on the Explorer engines.

I've got the 2.7 1st Gen in my F150, which the 3.0 is based on. 100,000 miles in, changing the oil at around 25-30% left on the OLM. I've been using Castrol Magnatec 5w30 (and have a stash to last a few more changes). No catch can and it gets used like a truck. No issues to note to date.

2022 Explorer ST 3.0 V6 Twin Turbo EB

Almost at 1k miles and looking to do my first oil change, I have only found a few UOA's from this engine online. Everyone of them seemed to show a decent amount of oil shear and all the 5w-30s where down to 5w-20 by 4-5k miles.
Verified mechanical shear or a viscosity deviation due to fuel dilution?

Cheat the specs. 6 quart fill????

No one is going to notice a quart or 2, of 5w40, mixed in with your 5w30 SP purchased for the 'maintenance records'.

The other option is to shorten the interval and remove the fuel/oil blend often... might need a 6 month interval.... or a UOA or 2 to verify your driving/idling isn't trashing the oil

Any ‘EP’ version of a 5W-30 synthetic will most likely be more than adequate. I’m doing the same thing with my wife’s 16 Patriot that might see 3-4K worth of short trips in a year now.

Cheat the specs. 6 quart fill????

No one is going to notice a quart or 2, of 5w40, mixed in with your 5w30 SP purchased for the 'maintenance records'.
Catch cans on EBs are never a bad investment- I routinely get 2-3 ounces of light fractions & fuel in my JLT catch can per 5-6k OCI…

What a joke. I cannot imagine needing to do things like this on a brand new $50k+ vehicle.

Hindsight is 20:20

Nonstop issues with most automakers.... caught 10 years too late, and pathetically overlooked by R&D.

So yes, with a brand new vehicle, if someone wants to keep it long term, need to consider having the EPA/CARB/CAFE/enviroidiocracy beaten out of it.

5k miles a year, short trips, idling = severe service. Fuel buildup can be verified by UOA. If none, then the threadstarter can do whatever they want and be happy with that yearly interval.

On a brand new $50k vehicle, I wouldn't be a cheapskate moron concerning maintenance. Do spend a little more yearly and hopefully avoid the inevitable.

Had the oil changed at 1k today, blend 5w30 from the dealer. Will use my last free change at 5k. After that will figure out what i'm using.

Back