2nd sending unit for oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to add aftermarket digital gauges to my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. My problem is I cannot find a sensor with two outputs. If I unplug the factory sensor, the PCM will think no oil pressure exists and either shut down the vehicle, or revert to limp home mode. I was hoping to find a sensor that had to electrical connection to maintain both gauges. The only option I can find at this point is a sandwich adapter, and that to me is not a comforting option. Any ideas?

Do you know what the sensor requirements are for the PCM and the aftermarket gauges? Odds are they are different.

I think you are stuck with a plumbing based solution.

Usually people will put a T fitting in teh sender bung on the block then install the real gauge and the stock sender. If you have trouble finding a T, check where they sell fittings for air compressors as I think they have same threads and could get a T, I saw one and it looked just right.

VDO has a range of senders that have a pressure switch output (for the warning light) and a resistive output for a gauge.

360-009.jpg

egauges.com

Of course you need to know the thread size, pressure threshold for the switch and if the output range is compatible with your gauge.

Ok, I emailed VDO, and received a response. He basically said my options for the oil pressure are a "T" adapter with the stock and aftermarket unit on either side, or to find another spot on the engine that would be useable to put in a new sender.
For water, the sender needs to be in the water flow, so find another spot on the engine, or tap into a hose. Usually there is a spot on the engine that accesses coolant, but I guess a heater hose could be a possibility. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
Get a Scan Gauge to monitor the water temperature, volts and all the other stuff and just add an oil pressure sensor using a gauge, T-Adapter and sending unit...
grin2.gif

Trust me, you will have fun with the Scangauge....

I just don't like the look of the scangauges. I plan on building these gauges into the dash. If it works, it should look really cool.I came up with the plan for the temp gauge. The top hose from the radiator to the ending is short and right in front. I will splice a pipe with a bung to accept the sensor(should this be on top or bottom, or does it matter)

Oil pressure, with the "T" adapter, are the sensors going to be too far away to get accurate readings? This seems like the only solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back