2nd Kreen Cleaning -- 98 Camry V6 -- Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes V8man I will stick to good old honest motor oil. Even if a person used Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 it would be less expensive than several bottles of Auto-RX+. And a person could easily add MMO or even Kreen to the cleaning oil at a pretty reasonable price.

At least Pennzoil has some proof with engine sequence tests. What kind of proof do these other cleaners have? And MMO is dirt cheap compared to Auto-RX+.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Considering Shannow's extensive posts on varnish being the precursor to sludge, I think we should all be somewhat concerned about varnish. Particularly in respect to where it forms and in what volumes.

After reading what Shannow had to say, keeping varnish at bay is a certainly a good idea. I think some people mix up varnish and discoloration from staining, especially on aluminum surfaces. It's always a good idea knowing what you're trying to remove, and what the surface you're trying to remove it from is made of.

Well I just started with RxP on a heavily varnished Ford I6 with dual VCT. It will take a while to get 7,500 miles on it though.

So you are using your technique of two or three bottles of Auto-RX+ at a time sprintman to get that engine cleaned up? How about trying a good cleaning motor oil like Mobil 1 HM or Pennzoil Platinum for even less money? Or combining one of those motor oils with dirt cheap MMO? The Pennzoil motor oils have engine sequence testing results for proof that they actually clean.

I remember you sprintman. Pretty impressive that you are able to come back here after all this time. Yes, I am still here after more than ten years. Still one of the old timers still around.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Originally Posted By: panthermike
Doubting you'll see anything with the new ARX formula, but good luck and look forward to updates.

The old formula worked fine (for those who thought outside the square), the new could be better.

Not what my comment was aimed at. OP is trying to get rid of heavy varnish. Since that's his goal, I doubt he'll see the results he wants.

Who cares about varnish?

The OP!!!! The person who started this thread.

I also "care" about varnish, i.e. preventing it from occuring in the first place.

I also "care" about varnish, i.e. preventing it from occuring in the 1st place.

I know you care, I saw your thread where you got nervous when your dipstick had some Varnish on it.
shocked2.gif

If someone likes to try low cost method to see if it can remove vanish or not, try a good engine cleaner such as Amsoil or Lubegard engine flush with reduce dosage. Instead of the full 15-16 oz bottle with engine idle for 10-15 minutes, use 1-2 oz engine flush per 5 quarts of oil and drive for 200-300 miles before changing oil. Check the oil condition on dipstick every day, it it gets very dark after 100-150 miles then change oil, it not wait until 300 miles.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
So you are using your technique of two or three bottles of Auto-RX+ at a time sprintman to get that engine cleaned up? How about trying a good cleaning motor oil like Mobil 1 HM or Pennzoil Platinum for even less money? Or combining one of those motor oils with dirt cheap MMO? The Pennzoil motor oils have engine sequence testing results for proof that they actually clean.

I remember you sprintman. Pretty impressive that you are able to come back here after all this time. Yes, I am still here after more than ten years. Still one of the old timers still around.

It has 2 bottles old Rx and 3/4 bottles new in the sump now but I'm going to dump that and just use 2 bottles new for 7,500 miles. I was member #4 but now member #5, not sure how that happened but who cares. Many old names still here and some with new aliases.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If someone likes to try low cost method to see if it can remove vanish or not, try a good engine cleaner such as Amsoil or Lubegard engine flush with reduce dosage. Instead of the full 15-16 oz bottle with engine idle for 10-15 minutes, use 1-2 oz engine flush per 5 quarts of oil and drive for 200-300 miles before changing oil. Check the oil condition on dipstick every day, it it gets very dark after 100-150 miles then change oil, it not wait until 300 miles.

Not a bad idea, and you won't break the bank doing it.

It has 2 bottles old Rx and 3/4 bottles new in the sump now but I'm going to dump that and just use 2 bottles new for 7,500 miles. I was member #4 but now member #5, not sure how that happened but who cares. Many old names still here and some with new aliases.

You had almost 3 bottles of auto-rx in your sump, and now you are gonna add 2 more bottles on this next run, so that is 5 bottles of arx. Since you buy arx buy the case that is about $21.77 a bottle. So you are spending almost $109.00 on arx, that is alot of money. So what is this $109.00 of arx doing for you, if people are gonna spend this kind of money they will wanna see results, you are basically doubling the dosage of arx.

You said that you don't follow arx's instructions, is that because you feel the arx instructions are wrong. If the average person did 2 cleans with arx and they doubled the dosage they would be spending almost $100.00

I just think you are sending a conflicted message for anyone who is gonna use arx, how do the people over at arx feel about you posting that you don't follow there instructions. I could use that $109.00 and buy 5 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum, each jug holds 5 quarts of oil, that is 5 oil chnages for me, so if my OCI is 5000 miles then I can get 25,000 miles out of my $109.00

Since Pennzoil Platinum claims that it cleans 46% of the sludge or junk on the 1st OCI I just feel that PP will clean my engine better than arx. I don't think Pennzoil would be making any false claims, if they did, they would be in trouble. There are also many members who have shown evidence of Pennzoil Platinum doing some cleaning.

I am sorry that the other thread got Locked, and you are correct in that there are a few threads that showed auto-rx did increase compression, but one of those threads showed that Pennzoil Platinum combined with arx increased compression faster than arx with dino oil. That tells me arx and Pennzoil Platinum increase compression, but Pennzoil Platinum increases compression faster and cheaper than auto-rx. When you use Pennzoil Platinum you not only get a motor oil, but you also get a cleaner, so there really is no need for auto-rx if you are using Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: V8man

You had almost 3 bottles of auto-rx in your sump, and now you are gonna add 2 more bottles on this next run, so that is 5 bottles of arx. Since you buy arx buy the case that is about $21.77 a bottle. So you are spending almost $109.00 on arx, that is alot of money. So what is this $109.00 of arx doing for you, if people are gonna spend this kind of money they will wanna see results, you are basically doubling the dosage of arx.

You said that you don't follow arx's instructions, is that because you feel the arx instructions are wrong. If the average person did 2 cleans with arx and they doubled the dosage they would be spending almost $100.00

I just think you are sending a conflicted message for anyone who is gonna use arx, how do the people over at arx feel about you posting that you don't follow there instructions. I could use that $109.00 and buy 5 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum, each jug holds 5 quarts of oil, that is 5 oil chnages for me, so if my OCI is 5000 miles then I can get 25,000 miles out of my $109.00

Since Pennzoil Platinum claims that it cleans 46% of the sludge or junk on the 1st OCI I just feel that PP will clean my engine better than arx. I don't think Pennzoil would be making any false claims, if they did, they would be in trouble. There are also many members who have shown evidence of Pennzoil Platinum doing some cleaning.

I am sorry that the other thread got Locked, and you are correct in that there are a few threads that showed auto-rx did increase compression, but one of those threads showed that Pennzoil Platinum combined with arx increased compression faster than arx with dino oil. That tells me arx and Pennzoil Platinum increase compression, but Pennzoil Platinum increases compression faster and cheaper than auto-rx. When you use Pennzoil Platinum you not only get a motor oil, but you also get a cleaner, so there really is no need for auto-rx if you are using Pennzoil Platinum.

Oils lube, cleaners clean. And I've used PP/Shell Helix Ultra (same oil) it might keep an engine reasonably clean, and I mean reasonably, but it won't clean an engine like a dedicated cleaner. Cost in this case is irrelevant, the old Rx was probably 5 years old, I want to test fresh bottles of the new. I have high mileage Ford and Subaru test vehicles this time, both have quality oil previously. Cleaning the diff, g'box, and P/S in both as well which is a first for me.

Oils lube, cleaners clean. And I've used PP/Shell Helix Ultra (same oil) it might keep an engine reasonably clean, and I mean reasonably, but it won't clean an engine like a dedicated cleaner. Cost in this case is irrelevant, the old Rx was probably 5 years old, I want to test fresh bottles of the new. I have high mileage Ford and Subaru test vehicles this time, both have quality oil previously. Cleaning the diff, g'box, and P/S in both as well which is a first for me.

I have not seen any evidence on this board of auto-rx doing any cleaning in engines. The before and after pics from members who have used arx show no cleaning, meaning the before and after pics look the same. I am not signaling auto-rx out, I hold MMO and Kreen with the same skepticism. It just seems like many Kreen and MMO users 1st tried arx and they were not satisfied so they tried these 2 oil additives. I have not seen any dissatisfied members who tried Kreen or MMO 1st show any dissatisfaction and then using auto-rx and saying it was a better product. I have not used Kreen or MMO in my oil because I feel Pennzoil Platinum can keep my engine clean and if there was anything that needed cleaning this oil would take care of any problems.

I understand that auto-rx can only be bought over the internet, if this product is ever gonna sell it should be in auto part stores, selling something over the Internet is tough, I can guarantee that if products like: Slick50, Duralube, Prolong, Tufoil were only sold on the Internet they would not make much money. It seems arx was once a sponsor here, and it is hard for this product or any other product that would get there start here. It seems like any product here gets analyzed beyond belief which brings out alot of skepticism.

It seems like you are getting results with auto-rx, some have said that you have some sort of an association with auto-rx, if you do, then that is fine. What is not cool is attacking people or trashing other oil additives, everyone here has the freedom in buying the oil additive of there choice. If you really believe in auto-rx you gotta show why it is better than these other oil additives, and if you are making any claims why arx is better you need some sort of proof instead of an opinion or scare tactic.

I do agree with you in that oils lube but I do feel that certain oils do clean. There is no doubt that if someone got a new car and at 3000 miles started using Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum that there engine would stay fairly clean. You say that cost is irrelevant, that works for you, but the majority of the people on this forum want the best bang for there buck. Maybe the reason some members are trying Kreen and MMO is because it is cheaper than auto-rx, nothing wrong with auto-rx costing alot of money, but the product should show why it is worth its price.

I could use that $109.00 and buy 5 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum, each jug holds 5 quarts of oil, that is 5 oil chnages for me, so if my OCI is 5000 miles then I can get 25,000 miles out of my $109.00

Around here you can make that 5 jugs of PU, which you can likely run 50% longer, so figure 7500 miles (an accurate figure for my Corolla). With my 4qt sump, that's 6 OCIs and 1qt extra for top-off. If I had a dirty engine and PU didn't clean it in 45,000 miles, I'd consider maybe using a bottle of ARX. That'd never happen though; PU (with a little help from MMO in the last 750 miles) cleaned my engine up in less than 3k.

Mystic said:

I remember you sprintman. Pretty impressive that you are able to come back here after all this time. Yes, I am still here after more than ten years. Still one of the old timers still around. [/

I have not seen any evidence on this board of auto-rx doing any cleaning in engines. The before and after pics from members who have used arx show no cleaning, meaning the before and after pics look the same. I am not signaling auto-rx out, I hold MMO and Kreen with the same skepticism. It just seems like many Kreen and MMO users 1st tried arx and they were not satisfied so they tried these 2 oil additives. I have not seen any dissatisfied members who tried Kreen or MMO 1st show any dissatisfaction and then using auto-rx and saying it was a better product. I have not used Kreen or MMO in my oil because I feel Pennzoil Platinum can keep my engine clean and if there was anything that needed cleaning this oil would take care of any problems.

I understand that auto-rx can only be bought over the internet, if this product is ever gonna sell it should be in auto part stores, selling something over the Internet is tough, I can guarantee that if products like: Slick50, Duralube, Prolong, Tufoil were only sold on the Internet they would not make much money. It seems arx was once a sponsor here, and it is hard for this product or any other product that would get there start here. It seems like any product here gets analyzed beyond belief which brings out alot of skepticism.

It seems like you are getting results with auto-rx, some have said that you have some sort of an association with auto-rx, if you do, then that is fine. What is not cool is attacking people or trashing other oil additives, everyone here has the freedom in buying the oil additive of there choice. If you really believe in auto-rx you gotta show why it is better than these other oil additives, and if you are making any claims why arx is better you need some sort of proof instead of an opinion or scare tactic.

I do agree with you in that oils lube but I do feel that certain oils do clean. There is no doubt that if someone got a new car and at 3000 miles started using Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum that there engine would stay fairly clean. You say that cost is irrelevant, that works for you, but the majority of the people on this forum want the best bang for there buck. Maybe the reason some members are trying Kreen and MMO is because it is cheaper than auto-rx, nothing wrong with auto-rx costing alot of money, but the product should show why it is worth its price.

Again, I DON'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AND HAVEN'T FOR OVER A DECADE! I also don't waste $1,100 odd on something that doesn't work. And I won't put solvent type cleaners in any engine I own.

I also don't waste $1,100 odd on something that doesn't work.

You have proven that auto-rx is expensive, but you have not proven that this product works.

Quote:
And I won't put solvent type cleaners in any engine I own.

Do you have any proof that these solvent type cleaners you speak of are harmful, or is this just your opinion. Is there any proof from auto-rx or any thread here that shows any of these other oil additives causing harm.

I visited the Kreen and MMO site, both of these additives do not make alot of claims or bash other oil additives yet it seems that auto-rx makes alot of claims without any proof and they trash other oil additives.

You have proven that auto-rx is expensive, but you have not proven that this product works.

Quote:

Do you have any proof that these solvent type cleaners you speak of are harmful, or is this just your opinion. Is there any proof from auto-rx or any thread here that shows any of these other oil additives causing harm.

I visited the Kreen and MMO site, both of these additives do not make alot of claims or bash other oil additives yet it seems that auto-rx makes alot of claims without any proof and they trash other oil additives.

Think what a harsh solvent does to seals. I've seen the results. You use what you feel happy with.

Think what a harsh solvent does to seals. I've seen the results.

Did you use a certain product that destroyed your seals?

I believe Amsoil makes an Engine Flush, is this product solvent based?

Has anyone on this board seen problems with using any of these engine flushes?

Quote:

Think what a harsh solvent does to seals. I've seen the results. You use what you feel happy with.

Think what sodium and phosphorus do when they're not incorporated into an oil, then consider how beneficial they are in a formulated oil. You can't determine how a part will act in a system based solely on its behavior outside that system; that's common sense not rocket science (or tribology).

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Considering Shannow's extensive posts on varnish being the precursor to sludge, I think we should all be somewhat concerned about varnish. Particularly in respect to where it forms and in what volumes.

A great point. My "varnish" is simply discoloration of the aluminum interior surfaces exposed to oil.

Actual build up means an issue that will eventually develop but most of this whole Artem 'testing' has been about subtle discolorations being unaffected by cleaners.

Then you have age-old members rallying to defend a controversial product. It's pretty obvious what's up. Not everyone here is drinking the ARX kool aid.

Not sure what Kool Aid is but I sure don't drink it. I just run diuble strength Rx for three times the distance and get great results. Nothing anybody else here couldn't have worked out for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back