2AZ-FE - What is the best oil option?

Well, I have 20w50 in the sump of my 09’ Camry and other half 0w20 CQ Syn 0w20. Consumption is about same so I have to add 2.5 quarts over 4,500 OCI. What would help reduce the consumption shy of pulling all 4 pistons and fixing the piston/ring problems? I have almost 190k on mine and plenty of AAP clearance oil and Harvest King Clearance oil. 2AZ-FE engine also

Well, I have 20w50 in the sump of my 09’ Camry and other half 0w20 CQ Syn 0w20. Consumption is about same so I have to add 2.5 quarts over 4,500 OCI. What would help reduce the consumption shy of pulling all 4 pistons and fixing the piston/ring problems? I have almost 190k on mine and plenty of AAP clearance oil and Harvest King Clearance oil. 2AZ-FE engine also
Wow. 20w50 in the Camry? :)

Was running Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 on my son's used 2008 Solara with a 2AZFE, thing would drop a half quart first 300 miles. Strangely after 30000 miles of this with 5000 mile changes it got better and better and was down to a quart every 5000. Until one day he bought Valvoline Advanced 0w20 put that in and the oil level didn't drop in a week. Hmmm, next week a hair drop. It likes 0w20 Valvoline HM now, still burns 1/2 quart over each 5000 miles OCI but we can live with that.

I have a 2007 Camry 2AZ-FE one of the notorious oil guzzlers. My anecdotal evidence for the best oil is Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE. This engine has had it from day one, 5000 miles oil changes no matter what and its about to roll over 280,000 miles. The oil consumption right now is exactly the rate it has been from day one. It uses a quart every 5000 miles.

My brother's RAV4 2AZ-FE no longer consumes ANY oil. It decided to make a life change and alter it's diet. Instead of consuming 'organic' petroleum products, it decided it wanted a high mineral diet and consumed a rod.

Newly acquired 2AZ-FE. 180K miles on the clock. No clue if it was fixed by Toyota or not, all I know is it was in for a consumption test (don't even know the results, just know the test was performed - these were Toyota's words). I know these have bad rings and are notorious for burning oil like crazy. I plan to change the PCV valve immediately as a precaution. I'm debating what oil would be the most beneficial. I know that no oil will fix bad rings, just looking to choose the best option under the circumstances. Note that this will be slightly short-tripped (6 miles 1-way) in-town most of it's life and the owner can't drink yet & has a lead foot. I'm just looking for the best of the following answers, as these are the oils I already have plenty of on hand for pennies on the dollar:

A. Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-20
B. Mobil Super Synthetic 10W-30
C. Mobil 1 HM 5W-20
D. Mobil Super HM (blend) 10W-30
E. RGT 5W-20
F. RGT 5W-30
G. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30
H. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-20
I. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 0W-20

I guess my two key questions are...
1. Will the cat be better off with synthetic over a blend? My guess is whichever burns less, which both should be about the same...
2. Will a XW-30 help or hinder the specific issue with the 2AZ-FE versus a XW-20? More specifically, will a lower viscosity help the oil problem or the other way around?

My initial thoughts are to use D, because it's the cheapest/most plentiful oil I have, I think a XW-30 may help consumption, and ultimately it's going to burn no matter what...
I have had a similar problem but following helped... respectfully I say this oil weight may not be a full solution here...

1. Call your Toyota Dealer to see if there is an outstanding recall work pending on your car
2. Check for any leaks, upper or lower gaskets and as well as from Oil Filter Switch!
3. Maybe you need new set of spark plugs & coils
4. Ensure Radiator Tank is full
5. Give STP Ultra 5-in-1 Fuel System Cleaner a shot with Shell 93 gas fill up
6. Do few short OCI's for 1 year like... one every 3 months (using appropriate oil)

If all this does not help, you may very well have to have your engine opened up and inspected by a mechanic who has knowledge of repairing engines!

Back