2AZ-FE. Does viscosity matter for oil consumption?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
D1dad: I used that stash of DELO 10W30 XLE up already in family's fleet of vehicles. Hard to find it near me now anyways. I'm probably going to stick with ST blend HM 5w30

What did you use it in? I bought it then ford had a hissy fit about ck4 so it's just sat. I actually have 30qts that I got on clearance for $27.

I did one run of the DELO XLE 10W30 in my 09' Camry for around 5k~

Did it help any issues you were trying to address?

Camry wasn't consuming oil then. Consumption started around 130K mark. I dont think any oil will help consumption as I am well over 155k now. Whatever is cheap without rebate is what I'm usin

only 60,xxx on girlfriends 13 malibu, drinking 5-20 OE 10-30 good for a while + now 5-40 euro spec working better. parts wear + clearances get wider higher viscosity quality oils help up to a point. todays smaller stressed DI + turbo engines are harder on oils as well, + thin lo-tension rings being the norm don't help either. newer cars advance technically but many suffer reliability at higher miles.

Originally Posted by benjy
only 60,xxx on girlfriends 13 malibu, drinking 5-20 OE 10-30 good for a while + now 5-40 euro spec working better. parts wear + clearances get wider higher viscosity quality oils help up to a point. todays smaller stressed DI + turbo engines are harder on oils as well, + thin lo-tension rings being the norm don't help either. newer cars advance technically but many suffer reliability at higher miles.

Periods and paragraphs help. Or maybe not.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by benjy

Periods and paragraphs help. Or maybe not.

Thicker viscosity may help with oil consumption

My sons Ford Taurus, 04 with just over 100k uses around a half quart of 5-30 in 5k miles. Last fill was qsud 5-20 and at 4K hasn't used a drop. Go figure.

Notice how many views this thread has ??? 10k plus.... Interesting. Must be do to the number of people with this car/motor...

Apparently not. Mine burns about 1 qt/1,000 miles of 5w-20. I switched to 5w-40 HDEO along with some MMO to hopefully either clean the rings or at least reduce consumption with the thicker oil. Consumption stayed the same and the engine felt sluggish so now I'm back to 5w-20.

I may rebuild it at some point or at least replace the pistons with the engine still in the car, or I may just live with it.

Last edited:
I used Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 on our 2007 Toyota Camry with the 2AZ-FE and it burned about a quart every 4,000 miles. The car has 140k miles. I read some good things on BITOG about switching to a HM oil so I recently changed the oil to Mobil 1 5W-30 HM. So far, its burned half a quart with 5,000 miles on the oil. I can say with confidence that HM oil definitely helps with oil consumption.

-ttvr4

Last edited:
5w20 and 10w30 has lower noack than 0w20 and 5w30 of the same oil (i.e. both Pennzoil Platinum).

So if you want to reduce volatility, use 10w30 instead.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Notice how many views this thread has ??? 10k plus.... Interesting. Must be do to the number of people with this car/motor...

Yeah, my ole beater 09' Camry has saw the consumption drop nicely with some ST 10w30

May blend some Maxlife 15w40 with more ST 5w30 soon to see what happens

Originally Posted by bbhero

Yeah, my ole beater 09' Camry has saw the consumption drop nicely with some ST 10w30

May blend some Maxlife 15w40 with more ST 5w30 soon to see what happens

How much does it use Adam?

Still got the bu? I also have a 13. 2.5L. Was hers 2.0T or 2.5L? Switching from a 5w20 to 5w30 has helped.

So my 2007 Camry 2.4L with 90k miles burns about a quart of oil every 3k miles, which isn't that bad for the 2AZ-FE Toyota engine (and well shy of the 1.2 quart per 1,100 - 1,300 mile consumption test for the rebuild). I got the car at 60k and ran 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum in it for about 25k miles. Last oil change I switched up to 5W-20 PP High Mileage for the seal conditioners. Now I am trying to determine whether to go up to 5W-30 PP High Mileage or stay at 20.

The reason for my indecision is the nature of the problem with the 2AZ-FE consumption issue. Given my understanding of the issue (the oil return holes in the piston rings were milled too small and become clogged), it seems to me that increasing the oil viscosity would allow less oil to pass through, resulting in greater burn off. However, it seems that many people with this engine utilize the 30 viscosity oil over the 20 anyway. I don't think my consumption has increased using the 20 viscosity PP, but if it will potentially burn less per OCI with 30, then why not?

Is my thought process on this issue wrong?
Seriously try BG EPR.
It will clean those rings right up.
Fix the problem......gummed up oil control rings.

Back