Status
Not open for further replies.
EQUIPMENT MAKE: Dodge
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 4.7L 287 CI V-8
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 2,962 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Valvoline Durablend
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts
ADDITIONAL INFO: Napa Gold Filter, NEW Napa Gold Air filter 1/2 through OCI.

Blackstone Info:
MIKE: 1.3% of this sample was gas, which is not more than you can pick up from idling and/or city
driving. It lowered the viscosity a little. You said this oil fill was operated under the same conditions as
the last sample, which we take to mean highway driving. We would not expect to find fuel in that case,
but we don't really think this is a problem, either. Wear still looks great in your engine. The TBN read
3.1, so the oil still contained active additive. We'll watch for fuel in the next sample and for now would
not worry about it.

MI/HR ON OIL: 2962
MI/HR ON UNTI: 28,406
SAMPLE DATE: 8/16/04

CURRENT #'S/LAST UOA #'S/UNIV #'S

ALUM: 5/4/6
CHROM: 1/1/2
IRON: 14/12/31
COPPER: 2/3/7
LEAD: 1/1/3
TIN: 0/0/1
MOLY: 3/3/38
NICKLE: 1/1/1
MANG: 0/0/1
SILVER: 0/0/0
TITAN: 0/0/0
POTASS: 0/0/1
BORON: 0/8/51
SILICON: 8/7/13
SODIUM: 4/2/8
CALCIUM: 2016/1862/1965
MAGNES: 25/86/401
PHOSPH: 729/874/803
ZINC: 879/948/985
BARIUM: 0/1/0

SUS VISC.@ 210: 54.6
pat.gif

FLASH: 350
mad.gif

FUEL%: 1.3
confused.gif

ANTI: 0.0
WATER: 0.0
INSOL'S: 0.5

There ya go boys. Please comment. I wonder about the Fuel % though. Just how long does it take to evaporate fuel out of an engine. I took the truck out on a nice warm day on a 25 round trip 75 MPH blast up tot he dump to dump out all the old oil change oil. I figured that would do well to evap out water and fuel. Guess not. I'm not worried as these number are well with in norms but it's still curious. Not impress that the fuel % killed my Valv Durablend to a mid 20wt. Frigg'n All Climate did much better in that regard. I will say that this truck did see alot less trips into town (170 mile round trip) due to gass prices. I would say 95 - 97% usage of this OCI was a 3 mile trip to work and back down a rural highway where my motor even in summer JUST barely get full temp and i'm sure the oil has yet to reach full temp.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000965

Blackstone used again. And here is the link to my previous UOA.

Yea-the fuel is the issue. If you went on that trip I would have thought it would have brought the fuel down. And maybe it did
shocked.gif
. And naturally it brought down your viscosity and flashpoint. As you said-you are not hurting yourself-but I would address this with the dealer since it is under warranty. That way you have another piece of paper in adition to the analysis
smile.gif

I think i'll chaulk it up to less highway trips THIS time but i'm going to open the hood this weekend and make sure it's able to breath. Maybe getting toward 30k on the odometer it's time to look at the PCV and what not.

starbreaker, I have been doing UOA on my nephews Ram 4.7 and what we have concluded is it has to have a very free flowing air filter ie. kept clean. We're using an Airaid and it keeps the Si numbers very low BUT if the airfilter becomes too dirty then the 4.7 will fuel dilute the oil in a hurry and tends to beat up the oil and give higher cylinder,ring,piston wear. Keep the filter real clean and no fuel damage to oil so oil stays stronger.
snoboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back