25yd pistol training

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I've been practicing with dry fire. I'd like to keep everything within a 6x6 box. My range's qualification is 10/10 in a 12" diameter target at 25yd.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Long way to go...

I thought the splatterburst targets were a good idea for the distance and square grid. I'm thinking the 2"x2" red square is actually hard to see just peering through sights. Should I train on the 25yd NRA targets? I don't have a spotting scope and shoot entirely outdoors. I'm willing to buy a good scope, preferably with an iPhone attachment.

I have a backyard range. I shoot at plastic pink flamingos (because they are hard to hit and shake when hit) , spinning targets and targets like you pictured above. I make no claims to be a pistol marksman and any shooting advice I give would be better found in video tutorials. Such as videos that address why inexperienced people often shoot down and to the left.

HOWEVER, among my toys, there is one thing that always crops up. Certain pistols seem like they are target rifle accurate and can be used to semi-reliably hit a tiny 80 yard spinning target. Other pistols tend to show groups like your picture and even with a sandbag rest and careful aim, produce a pie plate sized (or larger) pattern. I had a short 1911 that despite my best effort, I could not high the broad side of a 2x4 at 3 feet! I never did understand where the rounds went.

The quality, full sized 1911's are smooth and just work well, they produce good groups. The 22 Ruger MK-II is laser accurate. The others, such as my compact 1911, are bad, and it's downright horrible with the micro 380's.

Although I don't own one, a gun that I've seen produce great groups is the 5-Seven pistol.

Last edited:
I prefer shooting pistols at bullseye targets. I shoot rifles at targets like you are using from 100yds and out. Keep practicing.

Learn to sqeeeeeze the trigger so that you do not know when it will fire. A friend of mine, who was a bullseye pistol shooter, taught me that many years ago. Your groups will shrink quite nicely.

Originally Posted by wwillson
Learn to sqeeeeeze the trigger so that you do not know when it will fire. A friend of mine, who was a bullseye pistol shooter, taught me that many years ago. Your groups will shrink quite nicely.

This is how I was taught and also to try to keep both eyes open with open sights.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Originally Posted by wwillson

This is how I was taught and also to try to keep both eyes open with open sights.

Yep, I was taught to "let it surprise you"

I once hit a white plastic 5 gallon bucket , off of sandbags , at 200 yards , with a S&W M29 . Took 2 or 3 shots to guess the hold over .

Of course , it has a 8-3/8" barrel . That helps a lot .

Probably the most accurate pistol I have is a Ruger .22 LR target pistol . Used to practice shooting at empty 12 gauge shot gun shells .

I'm guessing that's a 22? Have you tried a couple of different ammo types? I'm not convinced that standard velocity "must" be used for best groups in a handgun as I don't think they will go supersonic in a handgun anyhow, but it won't hurt to try out a few brands.

Sites are tight, good hand grip and all that?

Originally Posted by supton
I'm guessing that's a 22? Have you tried a couple of different ammo types? I'm not convinced that standard velocity "must" be used for best groups in a handgun as I don't think they will go supersonic in a handgun anyhow, but it won't hurt to try out a few brands.

Sites are tight, good hand grip and all that?

Yes .22. It's a 617 6.5". Not light. No real recoil. This was a combo of Winchester white box, cci clean, and federal target ammo.

Originally Posted by Olas
posture and brathing help you stay still, a match trigger lets you be more precise with when you actually relelase the shot.

Noted. Keeping nice and still on target is tough, especially when it's just that little square. 25 yards is a long way to see shooting arms outstretched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back