2500-3500 New V8 Pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully boxed frames are a death sentence here in NY State. Wranglers, 1/2 ton pickups ... 10 years is about all you are going to get out of it before it rusts from the inside out. Even if Aluminum does start to corrode, it won't corrode through. Also, GM will be going with aluminum bodies on the next refresh.

The higher end fords do use vacuum hubs, but with a manual override. If someone is too lazy to get out and lock it in themselves and pull on the lever, this is the second best option. The vacuum hubs / vacuum disconnect WILL Fail eventually and having the ability to manually lock it in is best.

Gm won't be going with aluminum I can assure you. Fomoco and fiat bought the only suppliesrs large enough to handle the demand. Aluminum does oxidize through...and dents like tin foil...and it's very difficult to repair

Time will convince one of us lol

Based off the amount of towing I do and the amount of people I talk to when camping I don't think you can wrong with any of them.

My old 02 2500HD does fine towing my 7500-8000lbs trailer. The new GM offerings with the 6 speed don't have much more HP/TQ than mine but the transmission makes all the difference in the world. Those extra gears keep it firmly seated in the power band. What helps my 3/4 ton out is it is light. 2WD no options. It is 5800 lbs scaled with me and a full tank of gas. My buddies 14 F350 fully loaded on the scales was just over 7700lbs with him and full tank of gas.

Drive all of them. I would say it comes down to which one you like best and who gives you the BEST deal.

I will say the GM drivetrain is proven and has only been updated since the first LS motors in 1999.

Having said all that I would love a new truck but my 02 just rolled 46,000 miles so it has TONS of life left in it. We just don't see rust out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
F350

Solid front axel and the 6.2 is the best of the big truck mills. It's also the only gas truck that gets the big trans...the fiat and the gm both use weak transmissions in the gas rigs.

LOL WEAK. OK BUDDY. Shows you have no clue.

Frames have been boxed for a long time. The aluminum oxidizes much sooner than steel will rust. Aluminum is nothing new...it's been used for 20+ years in cars. Very problematic...I've seen a bunch of 150s come in for warranty issues relating to paint adhesion due to oxidation. They use the cheapest aluminum they can...it can't even be welded...and many body shops won't tech it. Ding central!

Good on you for not being a blind fanboy like a certain few people on this forum.

Originally Posted By: horse123
F350

Solid front axel and the 6.2 is the best of the big truck mills. It's also the only gas truck that gets the big trans...the fiat and the gm both use weak transmissions in the gas rigs.

LOL WEAK. OK BUDDY. Shows you have no clue.

Frames have been boxed for a long time. The aluminum oxidizes much sooner than steel will rust. Aluminum is nothing new...it's been used for 20+ years in cars. Very problematic...I've seen a bunch of 150s come in for warranty issues relating to paint adhesion due to oxidation. They use the cheapest aluminum they can...it can't even be welded...and many body shops won't tech it. Ding central!

Good on you for not being a blind fanboy like a certain few people on this forum.

LOL you realize you quoted the same person right?

You realize you drive a Jeep, right?

I don't pay attention to who I'm quoting because I'm not a stalker. I figured they were different people because who says "GM is [censored]" then says "Ford is [censored]" 2 posts later?

I like my Cummins, but if I were buying gasoline, I'd buy whatever has the most HP/Torque. Mileage is irrelevant when towing in the mountains.

Sorry, don't bring much to this dance other than to say, I shall be doing all that I can to keep my 5.9 Cummins smoking along for years to come...

John.

Last year I towed about 4000 miles. I can't recall the last time I have seen any truck from anyone broke down or being towed away with the exception of a few 6.0 Fords, but everyone knows their story and they have not been made for awhile now.

I really don't think you can get a bad 3/4 ton or up truck gas or diesel from anyone. I am a GM guy and as such it is what I buy...but as far reliability and towing ability Ford, GM and Mopar make good trucks. I camp with tons of different people all with different tow rigs not once has any of their trucks left them stranded or lacked the ability to tow what they owned.

In this category it really comes down to what you like.

Originally Posted By: Need4racin
compare the front steering/ axle shafts/ knuckles on the 4x4 super duty to an IFS front end. They have the best axle setup of any truck, most of us use the axles for off road/ rock crawlers etc. They are a beef setup. With IFS you will be replacing ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods every 100-150k.

The Dana 60 in the front of Super Duty Fords is a STOUT set-up, I am not going to argue against that fact.
If the OP is going to some serious off roading/rock crawling/4wd launches at the strip.....Get the Ford (Dana 60) or a Dodge (AAM 9.25) solid front axle.

If this is a tow pig that needs traction for ice-snow/boat ramp/camp ground/light off roading.........Like 95% of people do with their 3/4 & 1-ton trucks, The GM trucks drive/ride/handle BETTER. The Inner Tie Rods & Draglink are the weak link when you start hitting boulders & launching in 4wd on dry/sticky surfaces.....Common sense says not to do either of those in a vehicle you depend on everyday.

The aluminum GM AAM 9.25" front diff.....NOT going to break that with a 6.0L or a modified Duramax for that matter!
The CV axles on 2500/3500 trucks are HUGE, Not going to break those either.
All 4x4 HD trucks use Wheel Hub assemblies.....Try again!
Keep the Tie Rods & Ball Joints greased, My 2500HD Chevy has 350,000 miles on it & ALL the front end parts are original including the Wheel Hubs......They have had a little play for the last 150,000 miles, No Noise & they're still smooth.

If one wants 500 pounds of extra UN-SPRUNG weight in the front of their truck, Insufficient Caster, Poor Damping, Harsh Ride & the possibility of "Death Wobble" that may or may not be fixed by throwing parts at it........Have at it. At least you can brag about your ancient outdated "Beefy" front end!

PS......HD trucks absolutely SUCK at off-roading....Why even do it??

Some of us prefer simplicity and durability. IFS, in my opinion, has no place on any sort of HD vehicle. Too many bushings to go bad. Too many steering components to go bad. See a lot of newer Chevy HD trucks and the older Fords with TTB with all sorts of awkward camber and odd tire wear on them.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Some of us prefer simplicity and durability. IFS, in my opinion, has no place on any sort of HD vehicle. Too many bushings to go bad. Too many steering components to go bad. See a lot of newer Chevy HD trucks and the older Fords with TTB with all sorts of awkward camber and odd tire wear on them.

Would you argue that adding drive to that front end also adds too many problem points? [I'm feeling snarky. ;)]

Guess I need to see one of these front ends, doesn't seem like it's that many more parts than a solid axle. But I'm way more used to passenger car stuff, where most of the parts go vehicle lifetime under light usage. Heavily loaded has got to be a different story on all the parts (bushings included).

Eh, what is heavy loaded? My truck it 2WD IFS no issues.

I will say it again how many HD truck do you see broke down?
How many people spend there summers camping talking about it? (This guy)
They all have problems but nothing horrible or nothing that leaves you stranded.

For gasoline, you can't beat the GM engines. They do transmissions pretty well too. If you ever need to replace things you have excellent options including hot rod crate engine replacements. I've had some Cummins powered rams and some gas toyotas but i think i did well for my needs with my 2WD 6.0L. 190k miles and still pretty nice. For my one day a week or less truck use its perfect. I did just barely have to replace what looks to be the original starter; easy as pie.

Drive them all. I have had a lot of time in a 2006 Chev 2500 4x4 6 liter. Was a great truck. It hauled a$$, handled very well and was a pleasure to drive all around. I even bent the frame on one. The front ends on them were more prone to needing tie rods, ball joints when driven hard on rough roads. I also had plenty of time on a 2009 or so Superduty with the 5.4 three valve. Now it was a dog compared to the Chev. It loved the gas, had a huge interior and you could not break it off road. I ran them hard and they never let us down except for a few that had the death wobble. But over all they were much more dependable off road. Just plan ahead when wanting to turn them around.

I have not run the Ram's with the gas motors but I love my diesel. It rides great, I am happy with the fit/finish and the interior layout.

All I can say is drive them all and see what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back