24 Hour run on Natural Gas Generator - Change oil or no?

I have a Generac RG027 Generator. It runs a 2.4L Naturally Aspirated Mitsubishi I4 engine. Its 1800 RPM and liquid cooled.

I posted my last UOA here - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2021-generac-rg027-generator-48-hours-total-5w30.374090/

We just had some crazy storms in Houston, and I was on generator power for 24 hours and 17 mins, in one long run. The oil was fresh in it before this, and the OCI is 125 hours per the book. After this outage, I have 92 hours left.

Would you change the oil? Part of me thinks I should just leave it until 92 hours, but part of me also thinks I should swap it while leaving the filter in place, just so that next time, I'm also starting from fresh.

The oil was at the full level when I changed it last, and its still at the full mark now. Oil was so clean I could hardly see it on the dip stick

Where do you stand?

I'd leave it. Most power outages, that I have been through anyway, fit within that four days that are left on the oil. And even if a power outage went over 4 days, you could shut off the generator, change oil, and start it back up within short enough of a time that everything would be ok. Just have an oil change on hand, so you could do that if you ever needed to.

Assuming the break in period is done and the majority of that oil and material is gone, keep the oil in her and wait until you get to the stipulated hours. Changing it does nothing but create waste.

When you have a generac generator with a non generac engine be it ford, GM, cummins, mitsubishi, etc, the engine will be the last part to wear out. The rotor will short, or the fields, or the controller will become obsolete long before that little mitsu engine wears out.

Back