22hp Briggs and Stratton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a husqvarna with a Briggs it calls for sae 30. I know a lot of people say run 10w30 in them. What do you guys think?

Briggs list Synthetic 5w-30 for all temp. ranges on most of there engines.

I and lot of folks here use Rotella T5 10w-30. $16 gal. at Walmart

I use M1 10-30 in all my OPE, which includes my Craftsman mower with a 21 HP Briggs. Works very well.

I have the same Briggs 22 (or maybe 24) and it was spec'ed for 30.

I run decade old Mystik SX-8 10/30 syn in all my OPE, including the Briggs.

My 22 hp B&S in my John Deere calls for 10w30. The B&S site calls for 5w30 prefered or 10w30. I run Pennzoil Platinum 10w30. Rus well and no consumption noted. Ed

Last edited:
oil_viscosity_chart.jpg

5W30/10W30 synthetic of your choice or any SAE30 oil.

I have three B&S engines sililiar to yours and I run them hard.They are 6-15 years old.I have always used SAE30 as recommended. I usually use Supertech, change it every 50 hours. No consumption or problems. You might have some consumption using 10/30.I believe the newer engines are going towards multi viscosity oil.

Originally Posted By: dslofti
I have a husqvarna with a Briggs it calls for sae 30. I know a lot of people say run 10w30 in them. What do you guys think?

I assume its a mower? In TN with a summer OPE you could use 10W30 synthetic or a HDEo 30.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
What does the asterisks mean on the chart with the 10w30? I think it means Prefered but, not sure. Ed

The asterisk with the 10W-30 means that it can be used up faster above 80*F and to check the oil level more frequently.

Whimsey

The engine will survive on just about anything in the 20 to 40 weight range. Heck, probably even 50 weights too.

What will work best (for the $)? HDEO 10W30. Rotella T5 is probably easiest to find but Chevron Delo, Pennzoil Long Life and others can also be found in 10W-30 if you look in the right places.

If you tend to torture your equipment, especially in 85F+ weather, I'd go with 15W-40.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
What does the asterisks mean on the chart with the 10w30? I think it means Prefered but, not sure. Ed

This qoute below is directly from Briggs & Stratton

Conventional 10W-30 (0 to 100° F / -18 to 38° C) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back