22" ride quality compared to 20"

Looking to purchase new Defender LTX's for a Yukon XL Denali, has air suspension, no magnetic ride.

This is a 2012 and has the 22" wheel option, but I'm contemplating going with the OE 20" wheels and gaining some sidewall.

I think the 22" wheel looks great, but I'm ultimately after ride comfort. If the 22" can still provide the soft ride without the vibrations and taps through the steering wheel then I'm fine with it.

Looking for anyone with experience driving on both.

Can't say I blame you. Your stock tire size is likely 285/45/22 (11.25x32") on a 22x9" wheel. A small gain in ride comfort could be had by moving up
one size to 285/50/22 (11.25x33). Better would be 275/60/20, 11x33" which is the stock size on 2021 1500s, or 265/70/18 10.5x32.6". All work well on 9" wide wheels.
If it was mine and I wanted a nice ride, it would be lifted with 285/75/18s (11.25x35) on 9" wheels.

www.tiresize.com

www.customoffsets.com

I've driven Yukon XLs with 265/65R18, 275/55R20 and 285/45R22 setups. While the 275/55R20 appears to be in the middle as a "balance" between ride comfort and handling, I honestly did not really notice that much of a difference in ride comfort. Going from 275/55R20 and 285/45R22 will not be that significant, unlike going from say 24" to 20".

That being said, tires do make a big difference. If you're going with the Defender LTX M/S, that will give you a softer ride than say a Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season (from experience, those were "hard" riding tires). Another option for a softer ride would be BFGoodrich Advantage T/A, although from personal experience I can tell you the Yokohama Geolandar A/T rides very well on these trucks in 285/45R22 size. They've been a repeat fleet purchase, and they have a very decent lifespan.

First, there is more difference between tire make/models than between different tire sizes. So careful selection is important.

That being said: Going from 22" to 20" is directionally towards a better ride. But don't forget, you'll be losing handling in the bargain.

I agree different tires have different characteristics, I'm going to stick with the Michelin Defender. This size is expensive so mileage and comfort are both a necessity.

My Yukon XL with a stiff magneride on 22s is noticeably firmer than rental Suburbans with I’m guessing 18s, maybe 20s on them that I’ve rented. The rentals were not mag ride so I’m not sure which part of the ride was attributable to the tire size vs the suspension. Mine handles better but it is very stiff now vs when it was new.

Is there air at all 4 corners on yours or just the rear for load leveling? I thought this new generation was the first with optional air suspension.

Tire Rack says you could go down to 17" with no problems :D

It seems like nobody can make a reliable air suspension. They all seem to have problems, which is why most people usually convert air suspension to coil springs :sneaky:

Ha, 17" would make a good winter tire.

I should clarify my situation, the air system works on this vehicle, I've only driven it on the worn Bridgestones so I don't have any experience with the Defenders in either size for this application.

Ive had 20s and 18s on my f150. The 18s have less unsprung weight and the smoothness in the cabin from that is noticeable. and to the same degree that it became calmer and also more stable over bumpy surfaces, it lost what was a razor-like precision at speeds over 45. 20” wheels were helpful on interstate roads especially in tight traffic. But they definitely came at a price to NVH. Since I still have a set of oem 20 inch wheels, they might find their way back on. BUT, no way I’d want 22’s. i don’t see the payoff. i suspect the sweet spot is between 18-20 unless you drive on high speed glass.

Back