210,000 miles with K&N air intake system

This week I was at my local Toyota dealership getting a tire rotation on my Tundra. This 2010 Tundra with 210K miles pulled up for an oil change. Got to speaking with the owner, who was kind and shared all about his truck. Owned since new and installed a K&N cold air intake system on it when he first purchased 13 years ago. He has never had a single issue with this truck and runs great.

I personally choose to use OEM Toyota (Denso made) paper filters, but this is a lot of miles with a K&N and he loves it. Maybe we should all re-think K&N if you want to run a vehicle to high mileage. Thoughts?

Some people smoke cigarettes and live to 91.

That doesn't mean smoking is a good idea.

It's always nice to hear stoies about people that are smarter than the engineers that built their vehicle! :unsure:
Comments like this are annoying. Manufacturers often don't hire brilliant engineers, and they don't build perfect products, nor do they test them as thoroughly as one might expect. One counterpoint might be the folks that race, who alter and modify vehicles for additional performance. Many of those modifications then find their way back into the vehicles manufacturers make. The K+N is not for everybody, but it's a top choice for high output, high airflow applications. I'm among those with powerful engines needing high airflow. EDIT: Put another way, quite a bit of development occurs outside of the manufacturing world.

Interestingly, aircraft are no different. The original equipment may not be all that well designed and may not last as long as hoped. The aftermarket often steps in with improvements. The paper filters fail when wet, and the foam filters clog fast. The K+N is a valid choice if one wants to keep flying safely. But again, what do I know...

original.jpg

b890d4AW109_IBF.jpg

Am example of a high output engine with K+N style filter.

img_0942-jpeg.132797

Last edited:
Comments like this are annoying. Manufacturers often don't hire brilliant engineers, and they don't build perfect products, nor do they test them as thoroughly as one might expect. One counterpoint might be the folks that race, who alter and modify vehicles for additional performance. Many of those modifications then find their way back into the vehicles manufacturers make. The K+N is not for everybody, but it's a top choice for high output, high airflow applications. I'm among those with powerful engines needing high airflow.

Interestingly, aircraft are no different. The original equipment may not be all that well designed and may not last as long as hoped. The aftermarket often steps in with improvements. The paper filters fail when wet, and the foam filters clog fast. The K+N is a valid choice if one wants to keep flying safely. But again, what do I know...

original.jpg

b890d4AW109_IBF.jpg

Am example of a high output engine with K+N style filter.

img_0942-jpeg.132797
Think it's important to include Dave's words with that picture:
The filter is a very high maintenance area. Has to be cleaned and oiled every race. They get a whopping 1 mpg roughly at speed on Methanol. The oil lasts 5 nights only because it is contaminated with enough dirt to matter. If we could keep the dirt out it would be a different story

It's a conscious compromise for the sake of performance.

Think it's important to include Dave's words with that picture:

It's a conscious compromise for the sake of performance.
Racing in the dirt has a tendency to do that. Whether it's dirt bikes or off road racers, dirt tends to get into everything. It also clogs filters fast.

It's rumored that the K&N oil in the filter element can fly off (over time) and contaminate the thin resistor wire inside the MAF sensor.

Racing in the dirt has a tendency to do that. Whether it's dirt bikes or off road racers, dirt tends to get into everything. It also clogs filters fast.
Yep, and, as we know from the testing data, K&N's do pass more dirt, so it invariably ends up in the oil. Still a heck of a lot better than no filter though, lol.

It's rumored that the K&N oil in the filter element can fly off (over time) and contaminate the thin resistor wire inside the MAF sensor.
While I've never experienced that, I'm fairly sure one could over saturate a K+N filter with oil and get any number of poor results.

While I've never experienced that, I'm fairly sure one could over saturate a K+N filter with oil and get any number of poor results.
This vehicle was not being raced or flown AFAIK, and even you admit you would not run one in dusty conditions.
These are not the best choice for the average Toyota owner.

No I meant with the factory applied oil; some people think that contaminates the MAF sensor resistor wire.

If his explanation is correct, and I sure have no reason not to believe him, I doubt they work well on a turbo application, which will act much more like a steady state flow as a fan produces.
They work perfectly on helicopters in dusty conditions. Downstream is always clean.

I just cleaned the K+N on my Jag X-Type today. Dirty on the upstream side, no visible oil or dust downstream. But I don't drive in significantly dirty conditions. 225K miles.

The Weber carb I bought for my Isuzu came in with a K&N style air filter.
I bought the K&N air filter aerosol canister, sprayed it on the filter fabric because it doesn't have oil coating into it. I searched the web and found out that the oil inside the aerosol is made of up mineral oil plus red dye. I said, Nah it's better to buy the real K&N stuff.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

61DuNT+3ZKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
This video doesn't make sense to me.

If the filter catches debris in this manner, it would still plug up but magically this filter catches a tremendous about of dirt and makes it disappear. Where does it go?

Fibers or streamers will oscillate in a steady airflow, the pulsing of an engine is not required. Hold a tissue in front of an air duct.

Cellulous air filters have fibers as well.

If this is the magical explanation as to how it works, why doesn't KN say this in their ads?

Pretty sure one can drive a car for well over 100K miles WITHOUT any air filter and it would still run “OK”. Such a vehicle would surely incur more engine wear than a vehicle equipped with a K&N. Similarly, a K&N equipped vehicle will likely incur more engine wear than a vehicle equipped with an OEM style filter.

The use of a K&N filter is not the end of the world.

This video doesn't make sense to me.

If the filter catches debris in this manner, it would still plug up but magically this filter catches a tremendous about of dirt and makes it disappear. Where does it go?

Fibers or streamers will oscillate in a steady airflow, the pulsing of an engine is not required. Hold a tissue in front of an air duct.

Cellulous air filters have fibers as well.

If this is the magical explanation as to how it works, why doesn't KN say this in their ads?

It sits on the media, and not in the holes of the media as with a paper filter. Flow is reduced, but apparently to the level of a new paper filter.

It's not vibration, it's a more severe movement like waving from what I gather.

ask K&N why they say what they say, I wouldn't know.

Pretty sure one can drive a car for well over 100K miles WITHOUT any air filter and it would still run “OK”. Such a vehicle would surely incur more engine wear than a vehicle equipped with a K&N. Similarly, a K&N equipped vehicle will likely incur more engine wear than a vehicle equipped with an OEM style filter.

The use of a K&N filter is not the end of the world.

No, they get destroyed pretty quickly, seals leak, oil consumption rises, compression drops. Even a holed filter will cause damage in short order.

Back