20wt with highest HTHS

Doing my best to help the OP stay within his desired viscosity range. It would have been easy to just tell him to use a 0W-40 oil :D

Would a 40wt be safe in a 07 Acura TL type S with a J35a8.

Yes, I use Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 which is the exact same thing with a touch more ZDDP and a lot more Calcium.

[Edit]

Doing my best to help the OP stay within his desired viscosity range. It would have been easy to just tell him to use a 0W-40 oil :D

The FS is great oil but with DPF and GDI I think the ESP is closer to Universal.

The FS is great oil but with DPF and GDI I think the ESP is closer to Universal.

It doesn't have any problems with GDI. In fact, Mobil 1 recommends it for our 2017 Hyundai Santa FE SE 3.3L GDI. Also, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, and VW all have GDI engines that this motor oil is certified for, not to mention that it's the oil recommended for the Nissan GTR, which has a Twin Turbo engine. There is no reason to pay for the ESP version. Heck, if I owned a Corvette I would use the FS version of it. The low SAPS oil is more of a "we're trying to be green" move on GM's part when it comes to the Corvette. Hence, the ESP 0W-40.

Interesting option. Maybe the 40wt might help some of my seeping gaskets. If you have some seeping gaskets would a regular dino leak less?

Nope, bad gaskets are just that. What exactly is leaking, your oil pan, valve covers or both?

Nope, bad gaskets are just that. What exactly is leaking, your oil pan, valve covers or both?

Nope the dino won’t help or the 40wt won’t help or both? Intermittent rear main seal leak. I say intermittent because sometimes it completely stops and sometimes it seeps a tiny amount. I’m not certain on this but it seems like it seeps with redline oil.

The other seep is a oil pump gasket leak I believe.

Intermittent rear main seal leak. I say intermittent because sometimes it completely stops and sometimes it seeps a tiny amount. I’m not certain on this but it seems like it seeps with redline oil.

The other seep is a oil pump gasket leak I believe.

If you have oil seepage issues, then just get this right here and see if it helps. It may take a few oil changes to get results.

Your leaky gaskets don't care that your oil is 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 cSt@100C, when your motor is running, they will leak. Maybe the extra additives and seal conditioner will help in the Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 High Mileage will help.

That's a port-injected V6, this is the oil you want: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-...ll-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-40-5-Quart/23636902

You'll be amazed at how clean this oil will keep your engine. I run it in my 5.7 HEMI that calls for 5W-20 (and doesn't have an oil cooler) and purrs like a kitten.

Also, in Europe, for most Hondas Mobil 1 recommends 5W-30 or 0W-40. So win-win 😁

Hi Yogi. You are making some broad statements about what Mobil recommends for Honda in Europe. May we see your source of information? Honda in England reccomends 0w20.

It's not like the higher levels of zinc/phosphorus will make the catalyst fail instantly but I think the problem is more that it can shorten the lifespan of the cat. I'm sure the difference is more noticeable in a laboratory setting or in a large fleets setting with cars that are driven tons of miles and are kept until they become uneconomical to repair.
Additionally, the API is not worried about your cat only, they are worried about the cats in the 280 million vehicles operating in the USA. Dropping the efficiency by only 10 percent makes a huge difference in large cities.

Back