20wt with highest HTHS

Does anyone know of any higher HTHS xw20 oils besides redline? Preferably in a high mileage formulation? Being that redline is ester based would it serve as a “high mileage” oil?

Just want to get the thickest 20wt possible. Unless there isn’t a significant difference between say a 2.6hths 20wt and 2.9hths 20wt.

Some great & affordable 0w30 lubes out there - that will be real close to an expensive thick 20.

Pennzoil Maximum Power 0w30 has a kinematic viscosity of only 9.6 at 100 degrees. That's very close to the 20wt range.

What I don't understand is why it only has a flash point of 204 C. That's among the lowest I've seen with a full synthetic. Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 is another that is at 204. Hmmm.

Use a thin xW-30 instead of a thick xW-20 ... more choices, and probably cheaper.

Last edited:
A VW 508.00 or BMW LL-14FE/LL-17FE oil. Be prepared to pay, as none of them are "mainstream" and Castrol/XOM/SOPUS can't be bothered to market a "Euro" 0W-20.

I liked the redline oil 0w20 as it was very shear stable,quiet and still offered better performance than oils in a grade thicker. Lots of BRZ and FRS guys run it even on boost. It's about the only 0w20 that would give me any confidence to run on a track. Ran it over 150,000 miles before moving up to a 30wt as my rings are letting a bit of oil by. It's going in the 2020 CR-V after I get 12,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems like a thin 30wt is the way to go.

If you guys know any other thin 30wts let me know. Anyone know the HTHS of Castrol EDGE High Mileage 5w20? It’s 9.0cst at @100c.

Back