20w50 with zinc

I've been running VR-1 for years in my Midget. Had some sludge under the valve cover when I first got it, but VR-1 cleaned it up nicely.

I've been very happy with VR-1 in its big brother, the 1800 B series engine.

The engine in my MGB is currently in pieces waiting for the machine shop to get it, but I'm planning on breaking it in(including the new cam) with VR-1.

I don't have to worry about shared sumps, but I do Supertech 20W-50 in the gearbox and try to change it when the notion strikes and I remember, which is usually every couple of years. The rebuilt engine is going back in with an LH Overdrive transmission, which will get the same treatment.

Hi,
Comma Classic 20W50. It's an SE so better than the recommended oil of the time. Dirt cheap. Its a mineral oil.
A fully synthetic will stay in grade longer than mineral oil. Something to consider with the mini's engine/gearbox combo.
Unless you live somewhere warm I would forget the 20W50 as it will flow at reduced output through the important bits until it is warmed up.
If you ever get snow in the winter I would consider something else.
Forget all the ZN/Ph hype unless you plan on racing it.
Cheers,
Iain.

I appreciate all of the input and responses. I found a decent deal on VR1 so I'm going to give it a go.

While 20W-50 is fine for a well worn Mini, it is not the ideal oil for one that has been rebuilt.

Many on here already know my paper on Classic flat-tappet engine oils:

But I also have one on the selection of oils for the Classic Mini. There are so many old wives' tales out there, that I put together this paper to get you through them. Selection of oil for Classic MinisSelection of oil for flat tappet engines

I might as well add the third one here, where I go into the protection of transmissions and the differences in GL-4, GL-5, plus much on viscosities that are not well understood. Selection of synchronized transmission oil

All three of these have been updated recently.

Originally Posted by Firemedic15
I appreciate all of the input and responses. I found a decent deal on VR1 so I'm going to give it a go.

It's a great oil with a proven record , you'll have no problems with it.

im not a Lucas fan at all but..

"Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car Motor Oil SAE 20W-50 is manufactured with the highest quality paraffinic base oils and is fortified with a unique additive package containing high levels of zinc, molybdenum and phosphorus, which provides a tougher, thicker additive film for maximum protection even under the most severe conditions."

no idea if its better or not.
The Lucas hot Rod & Classic has way too much phosphorous for your mini, or any engine. SAE studies show that that level will damage your cams.

As a side note, most Mini's on the road should be using 10W-40. 20W-50 is for when either the engine or transmission are well worn. This ex[plains it: https://www.widman.biz/mini_pics/classic-mini-oil.pdf

Hi,
Comma Classic 20W50. It's an SE so better than the recommended oil of the time. Dirt cheap. Its a mineral oil.
A fully synthetic will stay in grade longer than mineral oil. Something to consider with the mini's engine/gearbox combo.
Unless you live somewhere warm I would forget the 20W50 as it will flow at reduced output through the important bits until it is warmed up.
If you ever get snow in the winter I would consider something else.
Forget all the ZN/Ph hype unless you plan on racing it.
Cheers,
Iain.
The Comma product is garbage for a mini ( or other car). I explain it better here: https://www.widman.biz/mini_pics/classic-mini-oil.pdf

Back