202X Ford Maverick

I think this is a good move by Ford. There's nothing like it on the market and not everyone wants a mid or full sized truck.

Well it’s unibody and we already know how much us Americans hate unibody trucks...
I don't. :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: Soon to be assaulted by flying Baloney Sandwiches. :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

This is going to be a popular delivery truck with the 3 cyl turbo. Could even see this electrified for the delivery biz.

For me, I would like to see a 2 door ext cab, 4 cyl ecoboost, minimal tech, and a well put together interior with some pleasing colors other than Black.

Is it possible to hope for a manual trans

Last edited:
This is a Maverick ;)
1972-ford-maverick.jpg

Automakers seem lost. They see that buyers want trucks and SUvs/CUvs (for the most part). So they are simply throwing whatever passes for that type of vehicle on the market to see what sells.

Is there really a demand for a compact/light truck these days? Wonder if they will make a $50K King Ranch edition?

Next thing you know, we will get the Chevy Montana from Brazil here in the United States.

Ford has already manufactured a vehicle like this from 2001-2010, the Sport Trac. It looks like it was almost identical in size to this new truck, and it was pretty popular. I don't know why they are calling the new one Maverick, they should have just used the Sport Trac name, people would have understood what it is.

Would you prefer guzzler?

Any pickup driven by just one person is a guzzler. I drive one, I know. Love the utility, but you pay at the pump.

Exactly.

My first vehicle was a pickup - the S-10 ZR2 I (still) own. What got me on the multi vehicle bug was even back then, when I was buying gas for 80-90c/gal, I realized that 18-21 MPG wasn’t a great idea.

And I also love trucks. Heck, have two at this point. I think it’s kind of sad that after all this time, the ecoboost and 5.0 F-150 only match the torque of my 96 Cummins... and returns the same MPGs effectively (I’ve averaged over 19 in that truck). After all this time and tech.

Love trucks, wish there was a true 30MPG option to justify one as a DD....

I drove a Renault Duster pickup truck, great little vehicle even with the unibody and wrong wheel drive. i think the average person here would like it.

the VW Amarok with a real frame was great too but I doubt it would make money in this market

Last edited:
Love trucks, wish there was a true 30MPG option to justify one as a DD....

Just can't argue with physics on that one. Even with hybrid tech you're still pushing a brick through the air. Same reason you'd not really ever want to use one of the new electric pickups for towing. Physics always wins out.

I've been getting around 23mpg out of the Ranger, about 20 when I drive it like I drive my TL (Which usually gets about 21mpg driving to work, but will get 26-28 on the highway even at 80mph average speeds). It will be interesting to see what my average is when we take a 400 mile trip in a few weeks. Taking the ranger, loaded with luggage and 3 or 4 people. I'm guessing it still will hover around 20mpg since we'll be moving at highway speeds (80ish).

He's paying $7.47 per gallon, so I think its somebody in the UK using imperial gallons with a small diesel car...
True, they do get the 2.0L diesel over there. You can probably drive one of those gently enough to hit that number. Imagine it would be super boring doing it though.

Although, at 168hp and 369 lb/ft it would be an interesting hauler for a small truck.

Back