202X Ford Maverick

TFL got hold of some pictures of it kicking around in the wild.

I think it looks good. Be interesting what it ends up as far as powertrain and size. Probably hit the Honda Ridgeline market pretty well. Supposed to be based around the Bronco Sport underpinnings, so probably a 2.0L I4.

Can't wait for the Ford fanbois to have to hate on their brand because its not a body on frame, or the people that bash the Ridgeline to death who think this is just right. (Personally I think the Ridgeline would be the ideal vehicle for around 50% of the people that insist on buying fullsize trucks just to commute in and maybe carry some plants from Home Depot)

Last edited:
Hard to tell that from the picture.

Yea, not too much to reference.

Ohh, well lookie there...one sitting beside a ranger.
799131.jpg

755659.jpg

And for further reference, pictures of my ranger sitting beside an F150

I think they missed the mark again. From that picture it's nearly the same size as the ranger. I was hoping they would finally fill the hole in the market for an actual small pickup but oh well.

Will that 1.5 3cyl turbo with the timing belt bath in oil be enough to handle the loads ?
they have 100hp small trucks in other countries.. dont see an issue with the 1.5T 181hp and 190 torque, also timing belt in oil.. is better than dry supposedly not sure why its brought up in the same sentence.. could you elaborate on your concerns?
The 1.5T isnt exactly the 60hp engine from a mirage.

When it grows up does it want to be a Ridgeline or an Avalanche?

The Ridgeline got hammered for being unibody so Honda finally put the fake cab/bed line on it to look more traditional. Maybe Ford will get a pass?

Last edited:
Well it’s unibody and we already know how much us Americans hate unibody trucks...

being smaller than a mid sized truck it fills the slot of what the Subaru Baja used to be. There is certainly a space for it in the market, although very small. It’s for someone who wants a commuter that can go camping one weekend and DIY a home project the next. All while being efficient...but at the cost of capability.

People used to rave about the Gladiator and last I heard Jeep wasn’t selling as many as they hoped. These type of niche cars are rarely hot sellers after the first couple of MYs. Plus Hyundai is supposed to make the unibody Santa Cruz pick up soon, which I assume will be competing with the Maverick.

I love how they have been using the Maverick name in Europe for the Escape this whole time. It pops up on the IDS when you hook up to an Escape, Mariner, or Tribute.

Too bad there might never be a USA market again for small pickups like the 90's Ranger. In my area, all the guys are going for the biggest rigs they can get, the smallest being Toyota Tacomas (which are huge now compared to first gen) and 4Runners with TRD and never-used overlanding gear slapped all over them 365 days a year for commuting to work and getting groceries. It's way into crazed fad and personal image now and has nothing to do with practicality, which small pickups are very practical for the occasional drive down a dirt road or hauling dirt or putting a dirt bike in the back. Our truck market suffers from a massive amount of toxic, misplaced masculinity of guys who want to feel and look tough without actually needing to be or look tough.

I think Ford made a decent attempt with the new Ranger, but it is still too big and bloated with expensive stuff. Someone needs to come out with a bare-bones, no frills, small pickup at a low price point, and then I think there might be enough of a market left on the table for it to succeed enough to be justified. Truck prices are out of control and way into the realm of luxury vehicles and not work vehicles.

Wonder if this would eat into f-150 or Ranger sales, for folks who want some truck utility but not a pig in daily unloaded use.

It doesn't look much smaller than the Ranger other than being a lower height? Seems like a weird idea to bring that in with the Ranger.

Back