2025 Camry, oil for gig work duty cycle?

Parents are picking up a ‘25 Camry this week, it’s basically the same car underneath as the 18-25 hybrid model. Same A25A-FXS engine as the previous model but it shares the latest iteration of Toyota Hybrid System II(Car Care Nut calls it a gen 4.5 or 5 system) with the current “new” Prius as well as a platform refresh. Toyota calls for 0W-16 for the US/Canadian market, we all know the current Dynamic Force can use “thin” all the way to “thick” oils. Car will see 90% of its life for Lyft and Uber. OCIs at 5K with OE Toyota N1 or PH4967 equivalent filters.

I have two choices - use 0W-16 or use 0W-20/5W-30 for a bit of a buffer with stop & go driving, especially with a gig work situation. My brain is saying 0W-16 until warranty is up and go 5W-30. However, Toyota hybrids don’t really allow their engines to get “worked” up to redline, the engines live mostly comfortably between idle and 5000RPM and I feel I can get away with 0W-16. What should I do?

0w16 probably is a good choice for the Camry hybrid, especially if the engine doesn't work that much. See how it is with the 0w16, then after the warranty is up, experiment with something else.

The more electric miles you do, the better 0w16 is. The thinner oil is good when the engine is hardly used, and when it is, not always fully warmed up, so it will never be too thin.

I have a 2024 RAV4 (gas model) with the same A25A engine. I'm running 0W-20.
Just returned from a 1100 mile round trip, mostly expressway, and the car ran great. No issues.

The user manual says for extreme use or high speeds, a higher viscosity may be used and 0W-20 is listed as acceptable. Therefore, I am using the higher viscosity 0W-20.

I would check the owner's manual when it arrives. The 2025 Camry may call for 0W-8 oil.
Past warranty, I would use Mobil 1 0W-20 EP. Out to 8,000 miles OCI.
Yea, I’m picking up the car this week so I’ll take a gander under the hood. I know I saw a 0W-8 sticker on either a used 2023 Prius or Corolla Cross at one of the dealerships. But still, Toyota does allow a spectrum of viscosity in these. 0W-8/16/20 seems to be the choice in Japan and for CAFE reasons in the US/Canada.

I have a 2024 RAV4 (gas model) with the same A25A engine. I'm running 0W-20.
Just returned from a 1100 mile round trip, mostly expressway, and the car ran great. No issues.

The user manual says for extreme use or high speeds, a higher viscosity may be used and 0W-20 is listed as acceptable. Therefore, I am using the higher viscosity 0W-20.
Yea, gig work with stop and go picking up/alighting people and cargo does fall into “severe” use, and into Toyota’s wording of “thicker is better”. The last car used in this case is on 5W-30, but it’s now retired and used for road trips.

But as I noticed in the new Prius, the hybrid system will allow the car to get up to speed on electricity before it spins up the gas engine, for a smoother transition. The last 4 iterations of THS had quick and abrupt electric motor-ICE engagement. Hence why I’m debating staying with the default.

0W20 in the A25A right now. Works fine but so has 0W16.

Ex: M1 AFE 0W16 is 7.6 cSt @100c so technically it is in the 0W20 range. M1 AFE 0W20 is 8.2. Not much difference between the two. The engine won’t noticeably operate differently with either.

1716986364545.jpeg

Parents are picking up a ‘25 Camry this week, it’s basically the same car underneath as the 18-25 hybrid model. Same A25A-FXS engine as the previous model but it shares the latest iteration of Toyota Hybrid System II(Car Care Nut calls it a gen 4.5 or 5 system) with the current “new” Prius as well as a platform refresh. Toyota calls for 0W-16 for the US/Canadian market, we all know the current Dynamic Force can use “thin” all the way to “thick” oils. Car will see 90% of its life for Lyft and Uber. OCIs at 5K with OE Toyota N1 or PH4967 equivalent filters.

I have two choices - use 0W-16 or use 0W-20/5W-30 for a bit of a buffer with stop & go driving, especially with a gig work situation. My brain is saying 0W-16 until warranty is up and go 5W-30. However, Toyota hybrids don’t really allow their engines to get “worked” up to redline, the engines live mostly comfortably between idle and 5000RPM and I feel I can get away with 0W-16. What should I do?
How often will they do longer runs ?

If it is all local, I would use Walmart best price 0W20 and change the oil on the 3.3k miles and the filter at 10k miles.

The issue will be fuel dilution and viscosity.

~300k miles of experience with 2.0L version, lots of highway driving.

I see you are in California and presume your parents are nearby.

Last edited:
You are correct. Just picked up a 25 Camry and it does indeed spec for 0w-8
High Performance Lubricants Premium Plus 0W8 is not much more expensive than marked up TGMO 0W8, and is of substantially higher quality.

With HPL PP 0W8, gradually extended OCIs with UOAs from a lab that does a good job on measuring fuel dilution might be a smart investment.

How often will they do longer runs ?

If it is all local, I would use Walmart best price 0W20 and change the oil on the 3.3k miles and the filter at 10k miles.

The issue will be fuel dilution and viscosity.

~300k miles of experience with 2.0L version, lots of highway driving.

I see you are in California and presume your parents are nearby.
The longest run my dad will do, and quite often is from the Oakland suburbs to San Jose/Santa Clara. If Toyota does spec 0W-8 and words it so other oils can be used, I’ll use 0W-16/20.

I’m nearby them as well.

Back