2024 Nissan Z Nismo Will Be Automatic-Only. -The Drive

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Lower spec'd Z's will still have available 6spd manuals. Nissan hasn't confirmed any of this yet, but the buyer's guide has no manual option for the Nismo.

Last edited:
When I was a young man, I road raced a 1966 Mustang GT that I retrofit with a Fairbanks "you shift it" automatic. It was crude, harsh and had only 3 speeds. Didn't matter, the car outperformed many competitors. AND, it was fun. Heck, that thing could drift, before drifting was a thing. The torque converter made up for a wide range driver faults, and significantly widened each gear's range.

My current sports car (Jag F-Type S) has a ZF 8 speed auto, which if not absolute perfection, is close enough to not matter. Instant shifts, no delay, no "safety" upshifting at the rev limiter, and no rod breaking unsafe downshifts. What's not to love?

I'm of the opinion that manual transmissions, while absolutely fun, are a relic of the performance past. One need only look at the NASCAR based car that recently ran at Le Mans for an example of why today's automatics are so effective.

The linked article is exceptionally biased:

bad news,,, will be automatic only,,,, the worst possible fear,,,, automatic-only Nismo Z is unbelievably disappointing, not even on the same planet as dual-clutch automatics.

Sorry, not all dual clutch auto's are good. In fact, I'd rather have a torque converter.

IMO, Nissan has a bad corporate culture, and has not a clue how to build a vehicle.

They keep slamming suppliers for price reductions to the point suppliers loose money, that stupid CEO Goshen drama, and the last real vehicles they made was like what, the last gen Frontier, or the discontinued Xterra?

All they make today is fuel guzzling Titans, and plastic n´ CVT cars....

Lower spec'd Z's will still have available 6spd manuals. Nissan hasn't confirmed any of this yet, but the buyer's guide has no manual option for the Nismo.

I remember back when I bought a Z, the Nismo didnt have leather or a NaV. Nissan does dumb stuff with potentially amazing product.

IMO, Nissan has a bad corporate culture, and has not a clue how to build a vehicle.

They keep slamming suppliers for price reductions to the point suppliers loose money, that stupid CEO Goshen drama, and the last real vehicles they made was like what, the last gen Frontier, or the discontinued Xterra?

All they make today is fuel guzzling Titans, and plastic n´ CVT cars....
Nissan is Japan's attempt at having their own Chrysler.

Just a thought about HP and automatics. In the past, ever bit of power mattered. As it was difficult for the average guy to produce more than what standard mods could deliver. So a manual transmission resulted in the highest RWHP numbers. Today, things are very different. The HP loss through an automatic still happens as there are still pumps, torque converters and a large number of components that have friction. But we can easily add 5, 20 or 100, or in some cases 400 more HP (think Hellcat) as needed to accomplish our RWHP goal.

I saw an old Datsun Z 240 in the parking lot last week and stopped to check it out. Wow, it was so tiny. And so low to the ground. A beautiful minimalistic car.

Reactions: Ws6
1688655737216.jpg

I've come to the point where I prefer manuals in cars that really need one- those with engines that need to be wound out to make significant power, like my Club Sport- its M42 needs to be kept north of 4500 rpm to make brisk progress. In contrast, my old M235i and current C43 have turbocharged engines that develop peak torque at a relatively low rpm and maintain that peak for 3000 rpm or more. With an engine like that the 8 speed auto in the 2er or 9 speed in the C43 provide exceptional performance coupled with decent fuel economy.

Is there a mechanical/physical reason as to why, like different hubs, suspension layout, or is it just a body kit like the previous Nismo Zs? I could imagine people just start swapping manual trans from non-nismos into the nismos.

The manual transmission on the regular 400z has bigger mufflers as the noise test and others seem to be stacked against the mtx option. Will the Nismo version be close enough that a mtx swap is feasible? I was hoping a Nismo RS would be in the cards but I'm now thinking not likely. The 370z got a Nismo rs version, but from what I read it was more or less a racecar with license plates.

Back