2023 Kia Sportage oil info

Just picked up a 2023 Kia Sportage and thought I would share what the owners manual states for oil use. I thought it was interesting that it is just 0w-20 and no other oils listed as in the past with other vehicles.

kia oil change info.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1267.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1268.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1258.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1259.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1261.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1257.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1257.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 341
  • thumbnail_IMG_1269.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1269.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 597
Just picked up a 2023 Kia Sportage and thought I would share what the owners manual states for oil use. I thought it was interesting that it is just 0w-20 and no other oils listed as in the past with other vehicles.
Thanks for sharing. We have a 2020 Hyundai Sonata with a 2.5 GDI/MPI engine. Officially it holds 5.5 quarts of oil and the oil recommendations range from 0W-20 up to 10W-30, so technically I could run a thin 0W-40 or 5W-40 in it without issues. I run Red Line 0W-20 in it, however, HPL is an awesome choice as well. Starting with the 2021 model year, they changed the dipstick and probably the oil pan as well, and are now calling for ~6 quarts. The engine is identical to the 2020 model year. They restricted it to 0W-20 for EPA compliance reasons and because they finally fixed the Air/Fuel ratio problems in the software and when to use the GDI and when to use the MPI injectors. If you're going to run 0W-20 I recommend you pick up a high-quality 0W-20 with good HSTS. Otherwise, 0W-30 or 5W-30 are very good options for that engine. I ran Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 in it previously and I got the same fuel economy (28 city/44 highway), and the engine sounded and behaved the same. Good luck and enjoy! It's an awesome vehicle.

Why motor company just can't design the oil volume to be 5QT... Is it that hard lol?
Sump size is a crucial factor in how long you can run the oil in your engine. The more you have, the better your engine is off. I'd prefer most engines to have 7~8 quart sumps, and ten would be even better.

To answer your question: Honda did it for some of their engines. They now have a sub-5 quart system, oil filter included. Unfortunately, it can't cope very well with fuel dilution from GDI.

The 2.5gdi uses 0w20

The 2.5Tgdi gets 0w30

The smartstream motor has a good sump capacity, blended mpfi/gdi injection, oil cooler, and a variable oil pump. And, obviously, its a theta-iii but theta2 created a bad rap for the word theta... So, don't call it a theta3. Obviously, it hasn't inherited any of the theta-2 defects :devilish:

usThe 2.5gdi uses 0w20

The 2.5Tgdi gets 0w30

The smartstream motor has a good sump capacity, blended mpfi/gdi injection, oil cooler, and a variable oil pump. And, obviously, its a theta-iii but theta2 created a bad rap for the word theta... So, don't call it a theta3. Obviously, it hasn't inherited any of the theta-2 defects :devilish:

After watching vid I'd like to congrats Hyundai for making an engine that has pistol slap from born lol.
Also, low tension oil ring, oil byoassed leads to burning, sounds famailiar? Thank you so much CAFE, you are murdering ICE.

Why motor company just can't design the oil volume to be 5QT... Is it that hard lol?
To me this is why GM went to 8qts for their V8's. They knew there was going to be fuel dilution issues with the GDI and there are for sure. Both our 5.3 Suburban and my 6.2 Silverado have higher than normal fuel dilution.

@Rat407 - more important than anything: when you install that gasket into the plastic cup (filter housing), ensure that the groove is wiped well with no oil underneath the gasket. Put a tiny bit of oil on a finger and go around that gasket until it is well seated in its groove. I didn't do that in the beginning, and it leaked. It's a poor design, but you'll get used to it.

Investing in a digital torque wrench that goes down to around 10 ft-lb (3/8") is well worth it. I use this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-.../38-in-drive-digital-torque-wrench-64915.html

It will come in handy, you'll see.

The little plastic screw has to be tightened no more than 5 NM with an 8mm hex bit.

@Rat407 - more important than anything: when you install that gasket into the plastic cup (filter housing), ensure that the groove is wiped well with no oil underneath the gasket. Put a tiny bit of oil on a finger and go around that gasket until it is well seated in its groove. I didn't do that in the beginning, and it leaked. It's a poor design, but you'll get used to it.

Investing in a digital torque wrench that goes down to around 10 ft-lb (3/8") is well worth it. I use this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-.../38-in-drive-digital-torque-wrench-64915.html

It will come in handy, you'll see.

The little plastic screw has to be tightened no more than 5 NM with an 8mm hex bit.
Thanks for the information. Hopeing this will last a long time. It is actually my daughters. She just got her Masters degree and is starting out on life. Her 2012 Cruze was a good car and we actually got $7,892 for it from Carvana. Carmax was giving us $6,000. She is home for now but going to get her own place this fall.

Thanks for the information. Hopeing this will last a long time. It is actually my daughters. She just got her Masters degree and is starting out on life. Her 2012 Cruze was a good car and we actually got $7,892 for it from Carvana. Carmax was giving us $6,000. She is home for now but going to get her own place this fall.
That is awesome, congratulations!!!

I recommended the digital torque wrench because the filter housing needs to be torqued no more than 18 ft-lb or 25 NM. It's plastic, after all, and the gasket is what makes the seal.

Lastly, since the vehicle is hers and I assume you will help her with maintenance, I would recommend High Performance Lubricants PCMO Premium Plus 0W-20. It's what I use in my wife's Jeek GK. I posted about it here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ted-ups-just-dropped-off-the-packages.355350/

The reason why I am recommending this oil is due to its very high quality, and due to the warranty, she might need to stay with that 0W-20 viscosity. But more importantly, she doesn't need to be stressed out about timely oil changes. I have seen this oil in 0W-8 with a 9.6 TBN after nearly 17K miles. Check it out here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2022-corolla-cross-hpl-pp-0w8-16-723-miles.355421/

Even if she goes over a year or can't make it in time for an oil change, it won't be a big deal. It's very good stuff, well worth the cost. It will keep the engine deposit free and in good condition for a very very long time.

Interesting choice of oil. The average KIA owner will probably Gawk when the service manager drops a $89 oil change bill on them for a Soul.

I have spent my fair share of waiting time in Hyundai dealers. Hyundai has resorted to dumping 5w30 quaker state into everything and calling it a day. I bet that won't last with these new cars wanting full syn.

Hyundai has resorted to dumping 5w30 quaker state into everything and calling it a day.
In 2019 I was busy replacing the entire HVAC system in our home, so time was of the essence. No HVAC with small kids is a nightmare, and every contractor wanted an arm and a leg for what I needed to be done, which was to replace everything. Went to the dealer with my usual jugs of M1 EP 5W-30 with our 2017 Santa Fe SE, and they oh so conveniently changed their policy that they would no longer allow customers to bring their own oil. I went along with it and they put in there whatever 5W-30. I did a smidge over 7500 miles on that oil and a brown crusty buildup was everywhere. It took many oil changes, engine flushes with Lubegard and Liqui Moly, and a full OCI of M1 FS 5W-40 to get rid of all of it. The dealer bulk even partially clogged the little CVVT oil ports. I learned my lesson really well to the point I will never do it again. I'd rather spend the money on high-quality lubricants and change the oil myself. Today the engine is spotless on the inside and runs perfectly on Red Line 5W-30.

Back