2023 Kia Sportage oil info

I would run 6.5 qts of 0W-30.

Not telling you what to do, just how I roll.
And AMSOIL of course is another good choice. I don't see why not 5W-30 (ASL) down in NC. I went with 0W-20 thinking of the warranty, as the service department made it clear that I can run whatever brand I want, as long as the viscosity is a match. They said that's their only criteria. Of course, KIA/Hyundai aren't sticklers for viscosity like FCA/Stellantis is. We have plenty of good lubricant choices today.

For the record that is not an Amsoil recommendation.
I apologize, I didn't intend to make it seem like it was with my comment above. I also use AMSOIL products, the red and blue cap ATF/ATL products, and Severe Gear fluids. I prefer small lubricant blenders over large mainstream ones because they each focus on certain things, like extended OCIs, performance applications, or both. I am glad that we have several viable choices. By the way, I wouldn't recommend Red Line to anyone looking to do extended OCIs, it's not what's intended for. I run it because I developed a hobby for trying out new oils.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was interesting is when I purchased the extra oil filter the parts manager stated that the new 2023 Sportage took 5w-30. To my surprise the book called for 0w-20.

I'm going to run ASM 0w-20 in it for now since I have a ton of it on hand using it in our GM vehicles. Will do a UOA as well to see how things go. We got high fuel dilution on our GM vehicles and so OCI is short for them.

My Cruze diesel didn't do well on the European oil and when the new diesel oil came out and I put that in, DP530 my UOA improved.

I wish manufactures would make it a simple qauntity. Like GM and 8qts. I just dump in two gallons and done. No messing with all those qts bottles.

I'm going to run ASM 0w-20 in it for now since I have a ton of it on hand using it in our GM vehicles. Will do a UOA as well to see how things go. We got high fuel dilution on our GM vehicles and so OCI is short for them.
This is an MPI/GDI engine, and they fixed the software bugs related to the air/fuel mixture and when the switching between MPI and GDI injectors occurs in the engine's computer. I know because I had all the software flashes applied to our 2020 Sonata. So you should be fine, as these engines don't really suffer from fuel dilution issues.

What was interesting is when I purchased the extra oil filter the parts manager stated that the new 2023 Sportage took 5w-30.
Please don't ask such difficult questions at the service/parts departments, as their answers might be seizure-inducing. An anecdote here: I was told by a Hyundai Certified Tech that if I was gonna run a 0W oil in our 2017 Santa Fe, not to run 0W-40, but instead 0W-20 because 0W-40 doesn't have "enough viscosity to it." The Hyundai/KIA Lambda V6 GDI engine is a notorious fuel diluter that was designed around 5W-40 mind you. I nodded, thanked him for his insight, and ran out of there as fast as I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back