2023 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.5T factory fill.

635 miles on the factory fill. Supposed to be a 0w30 for the turbo 2.5 as recommended by Hyundai. Doesn't look like it. Another poster found viscosity of 8.3 at 1200 miles on his factory fill same engine. Refilled with Mobil 1 Esp 0w30.
IMG20231109174756-1.jpg

Maybe Hyundai is using one oil viscosity for everything that rolls down the assembly line despite the base model specifying a different viscosity than the turbo models.

Oil has a hefty additive package. Might very well be they use an across-the-board heavily modified 20w for all the vehicles on the line. The moly count alone is bigger than most any OTC oils I've seen. There is always the possibility that Blackstone did not interpret the viscosity results correctly, either.

Oil has a hefty additive package. Might very well be they use an across-the-board heavily modified 20w for all the vehicles on the line. The moly count alone is bigger than most any OTC oils I've seen. There is always the possibility that Blackstone did not interpret the viscosity results correctly, either.
I'm interested in how the Esp holds up now. I think the other gentleman here used Oil Analyzers and was 8.3cSt at 1282 miles so Blackstones doesn't look out of the realm of possibility. Not sure though .Appreciate the insight.

Hyundai genuine engine oil has a viscosity index of 200 or higher.
A lot of VII (viscosity index improvers) are added, shear stress may be weak and viscosity may be lowered.

This UOA shows how most manufacturers beef-up the factory fill oil. It's possible a bottle of treatment was added at the engine factory.

This is why ever since my first new vehicle in 1970, I leave factory-fill oil in the engine for 3k.
90% of the time, the factory fill is better than what you replaced it with.

Lastly, these are digital-spaced, robotic applications now. That means much more correct clearances and spacing is done. That means there's much less shredding of metals these days, so little or none metals are found at the first oil change.

No more manual new parts placements today. Micrometers sales have fallen to levels not seen since Lee Iacocca drove new vehicles out of a visited Chrysler factory.

This UOA shows how most manufacturers beef-up the factory fill oil. It's possible a bottle of treatment was added at the engine factory.

This is why ever since my first new vehicle in 1970, I leave factory-fill oil in the engine for 3k.
90% of the time, the factory fill is better than what you replaced it with.

Lastly, these are digital-spaced, robotic applications now. That means much more correct clearances and spacing is done. That means there's much less shredding of metals these days, so little or none metals are found at the first oil change.

No more manual new parts placements today. Micrometers sales have fallen to levels not seen since Lee Iacocca drove new vehicles out of a visited Chrysler factory.
How are you inferring this from the UOA? Other than the higher amount of moly, which is likely due to the assembly lube, where are you seeing the oil "beefed up"? Everything else looks very typical.

It’s right at the top of the 20-grade range, so I’d bet it’s a 0W-30 that has sheared down just a bit.

Back