2022 Ford Explorer ST - 3.0L EcoBoost - 2,130 Miles on Factory Fill Oil

Oil Analysis at 2,130 miles.

Vehicle had 6 miles when I picked it up in February 2023. It was built between November 2022 and January 2023.

Showing high silicone in here. Opened up filter box and checked the clamps. It's clean and all is good to go.

Apparently Ford put something else in the motor other than the recommended fill? It's supposed to be Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-30. Factory cartridge filter on this sample.

Switched up to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 and now have the Baxter adapter running an FL500S filter.

I'm going to change and sample it again at 5,000 miles.

This is mostly highway miles on this sample. No track time or hard pulls other than a few spirited runs. Was completely stock at oil change.

1682699162874.png

@SR56 “Apparently Ford put something else in the motor other than the recommended fill? It's supposed to be Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-30.”

hunh?

Oh I see, you actually read the lab’s comments. Oil Analysers needs to up their game on these comments. Maybe this shows they are trying…not sure it has risen to the “helpful” status yet. In fact, this may qualify as “hurtful.” It would have been interesting to see what drivel Blackstone would have spewed, but OA’s comments are typically worse. at least OA actually tests for fuel dilution with Gas Chromatography, and I appreciate the Oxidation and Nitration testing, and they include TBN (base #) without extra charge. I would NOT switch to Blackstone, or NAPA. Stick with OA.

So I searched for @himemsys VOA database, and your results look VERY plausible for Motorcraft SemiSyn 5w30, except viscosity is low. So now OA’s comments appear even more bogus. This is really too bad, as I bought a number of their prepaid test kits. Better than Blackstone, not as good as Dyson’s analyses were. I would GUESS the low viscosity is due to the fuel dilution as well as shearing.

I’m such a sucker for EcoBoost UOA’s, makes me want to chime in, offer advice, when in fact, I shouldn’t, not qualified. Only opinions. BUT, my OPINION is switch to Amsoil or maybe even HPL. If that is too rich for you, try Euro spec oils (but don’t tell Ford until you are out of warranty). I know you are just feeling this engine out at this point, but my OPINION is the better Amsoil’s and maybe even more so the HPL’s (especially their better versions) will better withstand the EcoBoost’s tendency to fuel dilute and gunk up.

Last edited:
They have you chasing your tail. They should have taken into consideration that the engine is brand new before making a recommendation on an intake leak. The silicon is from gaskets and sealers from the factory. In one or two OCIs they will go away.

Oil Analysis at 2,130 miles.

Vehicle had 6 miles when I picked it up in February 2023. It was built between November 2022 and January 2023.

Showing high silicone in here. Opened up filter box and checked the clamps. It's clean and all is good to go.

Apparently Ford put something else in the motor other than the recommended fill? It's supposed to be Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-30. Factory cartridge filter on this sample.

Switched up to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 and now have the Baxter adapter running an FL500S filter.

I'm going to change and sample it again at 5,000 miles.

This is mostly highway miles on this sample. No track time or hard pulls other than a few spirited runs. Was completely stock at oil change.

View attachment 153045
PUP starts out to thin for an Ecoboost engine
Fuel wash will have it at a 20wt soon
Try Valvoline EP
It’s a heavy weight oil and has lots more additives you’ll like for your engine

@SR56 “Apparently Ford put something else in the motor other than the recommended fill? It's supposed to be Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-30.”

hunh?

Oh I see, you actually read the lab’s comments. Oil Analysers needs to up their game on these comments. Maybe this shows they are trying…not sure it has risen to the “helpful” status yet. In fact, this may qualify as “hurtful.” It would have been interesting to see what drivel Blackstone would have spewed, but OA’s comments are typically worse. at least OA actually tests for fuel dilution with Gas Chromatography, and I appreciate the Oxidation and Nitration testing, and they include TBN (base #) without extra charge. I would NOT switch to Blackstone, or NAPA. Stick with OA.

So I searched for @himemsys VOA database, and your results look VERY plausible for Motorcraft SemiSyn 5w30, except viscosity is low. So now OA’s comments appear even more bogus. This is really too bad, as I bought a number of their prepaid test kits. Better than Blackstone, not as good as Dyson’s analyses were. I would GUESS the low viscosity is due to the fuel dilution as well as shearing.

I’m such a sucker for EcoBoost UOA’s, makes me want to chime in, offer advice, when in fact, I shouldn’t, not qualified. Only opinions. BUT, my OPINION is switch to Amsoil or maybe even HPL. If that is too rich for you, try Euro spec oils (but don’t tell Ford until you are out of warranty). I know you are just feeling this engine out at this point, but my OPINION is the better Amsoil’s and maybe even more so the HPL’s (especially their better versions) will better withstand the EcoBoost’s tendency to fuel dilute and gunk up.
I went with OA since they have the fuel dilution and EcoBoosts are known to have the issue. I used Amsoil for a long time on previous vehicles. Switched up with my Mustang GT to the PUP since it had some good test results. Never had any issues with it.

I was thinking about going to a 5w-40 due to the thinning. I'm in Central Florida, so temps can get pretty hot here and I don't granny it. Plans are to change every 5k unless test results don't recommend. Amsoil doesn't have the 5w-40 in Signature Series flavor and neither does the Ultra Platinum. Looking for alternatives, and as you mentioned some of the Euro oils may fit. We'll see what the next couple samples test out at before changing it up.

Last edited:
They have you chasing your tail. They should have taken into consideration that the engine is brand new before making a recommendation on an intake leak. The silicon is from gaskets and sealers from the factory. In one or two OCIs they will go away.
Was worth taking a look either way. Running a stock filter and it's clean as a whistle!

I went with OA since they have the fuel dilution and EcoBoosts are known to have the issue. I used Amsoil for a long time on previous vehicles. Switched up with my Mustang GT to the PUP since it had some good test results. Never had any issues with it.

I was thinking about going to a 5w-40 due to the thinning. I'm in Central Florida, so temps can get pretty hot here and I don't granny it. Plans are to change every 5k unless test results don't recommend. Amsoil doesn't have the 5w-40 in Signature Series flavor and neither does the Ultra Platinum. Looking for alternatives, and as you mentioned some of the Euro oils may fit. We'll see what the next couple samples test out at before changing it up.
Give this a try

Attachments

• 1E11CDC7-F3D6-4472-9F84-354D4BC02B18.jpeg
    1E11CDC7-F3D6-4472-9F84-354D4BC02B18.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 7
  • AF07A9FF-161E-4196-BC17-A6F7BE9A58B8.jpeg
    AF07A9FF-161E-4196-BC17-A6F7BE9A58B8.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 7
Nice to see another ST on here. I currently only have 3k miles and did a change at 1k. Using up the free dealer changes before I take any samples.

I plan to run either Valvoline Euro SP, or M1 ESP SP oil.

I maybe will hit 6k miles a year so I wont be posting any OA for awhile lol.

How do you like her so far? I have had 0 issues on my 22 with a sept/oct build date. I really want to get a ZFG tune but waiting till I have some more miles on her.

Back