2023 Gladiator

Anyone use the RP max atf in place of ZF 8 and 9 speed fluid? Says on bottle it meets requirements of ZF transmissions. Noticed that FCA is very proud of the OEM fluid. As pricey as RP is its still cheaper and if it's safe to use its better than any SOPUS offering.

I'm sure it is fine if it meets the spec. I'm doing a change in the ZF8 on my dad's 2020 Grand Cherokee soon with Maxlife ATF simply because I've used that in the ZF8 before in BMWs and it worked well.

Anyone use the RP max atf in place of ZF 8 and 9 speed fluid? Says on bottle it meets requirements of ZF transmissions. Noticed that FCA is very proud of the OEM fluid. As pricey as RP is its still cheaper and if it's safe to use its better than any SOPUS offering.
I used to get this for $21 … up $5 now …
Fluid is green so dealer would know if you put red fluid in …

Thanks for responses. Might look into other options I'm just baffled the ZF 8 and 9 is almost 50 a quart that's ridiculous. I just don't like Shell or Pennzoil products especially Pennzoil. Reason why Walmart always has boat loads of it and Quick Mistake. I know some like it and more power to you I'm just not sold on it. If this works it's far superior in base oil alone. Probably change around 15k or so to get all initial shavings out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231123_041750_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231123_041750_Chrome.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231123_041721_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231123_041721_Chrome.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for responses. Might look into other options I'm just baffled the ZF 8 and 9 is almost 50 a quart that's ridiculous. I just don't like Shell or Pennzoil products especially Pennzoil. Reason why Walmart always has boat loads of it and Quick Mistake. I know some like it and more power to you I'm just not sold on it. If this works it's far superior in base oil alone. Probably change around 15k or so to get all initial shavings out.
Well, it’s $26 - that’s not almost 50 - but still far more than OTC fluids … I think anything else could impact warranty …

I was not a fan of the thought of MaxLife in the ZF8, but know a few people who used it with good results. I can't speak to long term use though. Here's the rub, if the vehicle is still under warranty and it does go into the dealer to address a transmission problem, the MaxLife color could be a deal breaker. Notice I used the word could. That would be something I would be concerned with. Fortunately for me, by the time I own a ZF8 equipped vehicle two, of my buddies will have long term user reports for MaxLife in a ZF8 transmission, and there will be a lot more here.

I was not a fan of the thought of MaxLife in the ZF8, but know a few people who used it with good results. I can't speak to long term use though. Here's the rub, if the vehicle is still under warranty and it does go into the dealer to address a transmission problem, the MaxLife color could be a deal breaker. Notice I used the word could. That would be something I would be concerned with. Fortunately for me, by the time I own a ZF8 equipped vehicle two, of my buddies will have long term user reports for MaxLife in a ZF8 transmission, and there will be a lot more here.
Not only that - but I tend to do a pan volume only - magnets - filter etc … so, really don’t want a random mix of fluids …
I watch eBay and not long ago grabbed enough for next time at $20 … turns out they were liters so a little bonus there …

Not only that - but I tend to do a pan volume only - magnets - filter etc … so, I really don’t want a random mix of fluids …
I watch eBay and not long ago grabbed enough for next time at $20 … turns out they were liters so a little bonus there …
I hear ya. One of my buddies used MaxLife with a new improved pan, the name slips my mind. IIRC it has a drain plug, a replaceable filter, and an extra quart capacity. He did a series of drains and refills and was pretty confident he got most if not all the OE ATF out. I suggested doing at fluid exchange by removing a cooler line, he didn't want to go that route. Hopefully in time the OE fluid will drop in price. In all honesty for $20/quart while high in price I'd go that route. He claims to have done his homework, he does good work, and is out of warranty, so no worries there.

I hear ya. One of my buddies used MaxLife with a new improved pan, the name slips my mind. IIRC it has a drain plug, a replaceable filter, and an extra quart capacity. He did a series of drains and refills and was pretty confident he got most if not all the OE ATF out. I suggested doing at fluid exchange by removing a cooler line, he didn't want to go that route. Hopefully in time the OE fluid will drop in price. In all honesty for $20/quart while high in price I'd go that route. He claims to have done his homework, he does good work, and is out of warranty, so no worries there.
Probably PPE …

It could very well be, that does sound familiar.
He have a T4? CarbonSteel said they hit the cross-over pipe on the V6 and you have to grind them …
That hot pipe is darn close - actually put header tape on mine …
I‘m more likely to do an external filter at end of warranty and an ATF change out would be easy then …

He have a T4? CarbonSteel said they hit the cross-over pipe on the V6 and you have to grind them …
That hot pipe is darn close - actually put header tape on mine …
I‘m more likely to do an external filter at end of warranty and an ATF change out would be easy then …
3.6L. His only comments were it was a PITA to do, but he learned a lot and doesn't plan on dropping the pan anytime soon. He also has a RAM PU, and you got me thinking, I have to ask him if it was the RAM that got the deep pan.

Reactions: 4WD
In to watch this thread. I'm planning on doing my 2021 fluid change sometime in the spring, when it warms up a bit.

How many quarts should I buy for the change?

Redline D6 says it is good for ZF Lifeguard 6, 6+, and 8. Any thoughts on this? It's only about $17 a quart on their web site.

In to watch this thread. I'm planning on doing my 2021 fluid change sometime in the spring, when it warms up a bit.

How many quarts should I buy for the change?
Looks like 5 to 6 for a pan drop. It's like alot of newer transmissions in that you check within a range of tempature. Luckily we have a trans temp which makes it much easier.

Back