2023+ BRZ (2nd Gen) Oil Recommendations

The car is on sticky tires (A052) a high G setup. Pull around 1-1.5Gs when autocrossing and tracking.

I was curious as to what oil would be best? I currently run Liqui Moly SpecialTec AA 5W30 and change every 3k (approximate).

I have run Pennzoil Ultra Plat 5w30 in the past. But have never done any oil analysis (might be the missing piece of the puzzle for me).

Curious if anyone has any suggestions. Car is stock power, OEM oil filters, and oil temps get to about 245F max.

That's ok to use. Really any 30/40 euro grade will be fine but if you're pushing to 245f maybe 40 grade. You could downgrade and use just about off the shelf oil euro 40 at walmart and that engine will still last. I assume you didn't turbocharge that car. If it's not i might look into using delvac extreme 15w-40 or m1 15w-50 for autocross and track use. For street use 0/5w-40 euro is fine. I believe you can add an extra quart when racing.

for my money, i'd just grab a 5 qt just of M1 0W-40 for sub $25 at walmart for your moderate heat levels and 3k mile changes. its the easy button. but otherwise any ACEA A3/B4 5W-30 could likely also suffice just fine.

more to your use case though - I'd just be sure to overfill a bit given those engines have drainback issues on sustained right-handers.

for my money, i'd just grab a 5 qt just of M1 0W-40 for sub $25 at walmart for your moderate heat levels and 3k mile changes. its the easy button. but otherwise any ACEA A3/B4 5W-30 could likely also suffice just fine.

more to your use case though - I'd just be sure to overfill a bit given those engines have drainback issues on sustained right-handers.
I overfill just a bit (0.25-0.5L max).

Could I use 0W-40 in the winter? My car is located in Massachusetts so it gets below freezing. Or should I only be using 0W-20 in the winter.

I overfill just a bit (0.25-0.5L max).

Could I use 0W-40 in the winter? My car is located in Massachusetts so it gets below freezing. Or should I only be using 0W-20 in the winter.
Assuming you aren't racing in the winter and are driving a rwd car during winter, what are oil temps when it's below freezing?

I use 15W-40 Delvac bc its summer and I get a free change in 3K miles. Go with 0W-40.
I have the GR86 do you have the FA20 or FA24 engine?

absolutely. the pour point for that oil is like -42 degrees. you could even get away with a 5W.

i ran that exact oil in my K20z3 Si for years, it returned fantastic wear numbers and consumed less than a 30 weight.

You can probably use 5W-30/40 as well. Unless you live in Magadan, Siberia, which again you might need a block heater anyway.
Nope just Massachusetts.

So it seems 0W40 is even better than 5W30. Since it will do better at the colder temps (0W) and better at the hotter temps (40W).

Nope just Massachusetts.

So it seems 0W40 is even better than 5W30. Since it will do better at the colder temps (0W) and better at the hotter temps (40W).
It's about temperature and the definition of "cold". An oil with a 0W rating will only have better cold weather performance at temperatures below about -35. Above that there is no guaranteed difference compared to one with a 5W rating.

It's about temperature and the definition of "cold". An oil with a 0W rating will only have better cold weather performance at temperatures below about -35. Above that there is no guaranteed difference compared to one with a 5W rating.

Exactly, and if you look at the viscosity at 40c, a 0w40 is actually thicker than a 5w30, so in the summer weather the 5w30 would actually flow slightly better on that initial start of the day.

Back