2022 WRX oil filter recommendations

the oil is wrong as it suggests 0w-30
Think about it- the FA 24 is a FA20 bored out. The FA24 is only rated at 271HP while the FA20 is proportionately higher. But to me it makes zero sense using a 20 wt. when 30 wt is required on the FA20.

On the other hand unless you are very proactive with intake valve cleaning you will have gunked up intake valves at 50K miles. I do the Valve cleaning every 8K but if I decide to keep my '18 XT that long. But that is unlikely, as my extended warranty will end about then.

Think about it- the FA 24 is a FA20 bored out. The FA24 is only rated at 271HP while the FA20 is proportionately higher. But to me it makes zero sense using a 20 wt. when 30 wt is required on the FA20.

On the other hand unless you are very proactive with intake valve cleaning you will have gunked up intake valves at 50K miles. I do the Valve cleaning every 8K but if I decide to keep my '18 XT that long. But that is unlikely, as my extended warranty will end about then.
Fa24dit is NOT a bored out FA20dit. 24 block is different. Thicker sleeves, more sleeve support, hell, even the heads are different.

Great engine design, save for the weak ass rods and pistons.

Amsoil or the Fram Titanium are good choices as already covered. The Napa Gold 7055 is a great backup, but not synthetic media, but it does maintain all relevant specs for Subaru. If you’ve already dropped coin on HPL oil, why not follow suit?

If you’re looking for something else, I always had good results with Motul Gear 300 75W-90 in my Subie diffs. It’s been forever since I had a stick in one, but IIRC the Motul was a little stiffer to shift in Chicago winters than Redline or Amsoil. Not sure what yours takes, use the Amsoil site for weights and capacities, it’s great.

This is the motul I've found

Attachments

• 20220831_130215.jpg
    20220831_130215.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 11
I can't say for certain, but I don't believe your car needs the LS version of Gear 300; none of mine did... but the Motul site does not go up to 2022 models yet. It recommends the "plain" Gear 300 for a 2020 WRX. You can find the regular Gear 300 on Amazon for $23.89/qt. I ran it on a 50k mi change schedule in mine.

Agree with SubieRubyRoo, you need the none LS version of the Gear 300 for our differentials, not the LS version.

Screenshot (13).jpg

so i was just going to ask as the motul is next to impossible to find and im already using HPL engine oil. does anyone have input on their gear oil? this is what it says. everytime i try clicking the techincal data its asking me to sign in.

Differential Life Gear Oil is designed to provide superior performance in many automotive operating conditions, from standard to high performance, including limited slip applications. Made with superior synthetic base stocks and the best additives for the best protection and performance. Differential Life Gear Oil contains a friction modifier additive, no need to add any additional additives. Differential Life Gear Oil performs exceptionally well over a wide range of temperatures while also protecting against thermal degradation, wear and corrosion.

– Available in 75W90 , 75W110, and 75W140 grades.
– High Temperature Use
– Extended Equipment and Oil Life
– Prevents Corrosion
– Limited-Slip additive already added

hpl gear oil.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the LS additive in a differential that does not call for it will not provide any benefit.

If the current WRX rear diffs are still like the older ones like I had, the ring carrier with the spider gears in it is a sealed unit and is not serviceable- changing the differential fluid does not, and cannot effect what’s actually controlling the limited slip feature of the differential. Gear 300 is still available for half the cost of what you found the Gear 300 LS for. Just for your FYI since the manual page was posted above, Subaru Extra MT does not, and never has had an LS additive in it.

So I did notice the ls additive which is why I haven't mentioned it too much in detail as it's not something I need or want. And that gear 300 is retarded expensive.

ive been reading about tribodyn or whatever as well. it seems pretty good from what i can tell.

so i was just going to ask as the motul is next to impossible to find and im already using HPL engine oil. does anyone have input on their gear oil? this is what it says. everytime i try clicking the techincal data its asking me to sign in.

Differential Life Gear Oil is designed to provide superior performance in many automotive operating conditions, from standard to high performance, including limited slip applications. Made with superior synthetic base stocks and the best additives for the best protection and performance. Differential Life Gear Oil contains a friction modifier additive, no need to add any additional additives. Differential Life Gear Oil performs exceptionally well over a wide range of temperatures while also protecting against thermal degradation, wear and corrosion.

– Available in 75W90 , 75W110, and 75W140 grades.
– High Temperature Use
– Extended Equipment and Oil Life
– Prevents Corrosion
– Limited-Slip additive already added

You have a 2022 car, how many miles do you have on the car right now? Unless you have put 30K on the car already, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to change it. Unless you are racing your WRX, Subaru gear oil is more than just capable, don't fall into the trap of wanting to use the "best ever ---- for my car" before it is needed, that's just a waste of money. I would just keep an eye on the Motul store on Amazon, purchase when it is back in stock and do the change on the next service. Just my opinion.

Honestly as I said before. I beat on it but I'd rather put something high quality and high performing in.

I just did my first oil change on my 2022 WRX at 3k. Mobil 1 5w30 with oem filter. I like the oem filter because the black paint looks nice under the hood and they were economical. I thought they still wanted 5w30 on turbos even though the manual said 0w20. Im staying with 5w30.

Good to see people finally using alternative filters to the blue subie fram cans. I was told for years to stray from OEM would result in instant death. Although the shoddy cardboard construction is perfectly sufficient for my 3-4k OCI's I have been using XG7313's on my EJ motor for the last couple changes without catastrophic engine failure.

Back