2022 WRX oil filter recommendations

Idk I'm not an engineer. I'm sure you csn find it. I personally have been intrigued enough to look fir it.

No it's 0w-20. I just use whata the owners manual says. There's clearly a reason for the weight difference

Nobody puts 0w20 in a WRX :D

Shell Rotella T6 is quite popular with the WRX crowd. It is available in 5w30 and 5w40, though the latter is more common (both in stores and in WRX engines)

As long as it is in warranty I would use the OE filter. Knowing someone who is a tech as a Subaru dealership here in DFW I know Subaru looks for any reason to void a warranty claim. I hear the stories. But you've made your choice with Amzoil so my point is moot.

As long as it is in warranty I would use the OE filter. Knowing someone who is a tech as a Subaru dealership here in DFW I know Subaru looks for any reason to void a warranty claim. I hear the stories. But you've made your choice with Amzoil so my point is moot.
But they can't "void" anything from using an aftermarket filter as long as it's equivalent/right one.

OEM, especially on a 2022 car that still have a factory 5 year/60K powertrain warranty. Yes, I know all about the Magnuson-Moss Act, yadi-yadi-yada.

so the amsoil filter came in because on their website you just type in the make and model of your car and it generates the oil and filter you need. well the oil is wrong as it suggests 0w-30 and the oil filter is model# EA15K20. I went to change my oil today and the filter looks awfully smaller than the OEM filter on there already. it even specified 2.4 FA24 engine. but when i looked up the oil filter graph subaru isnt even on there.

Reactions: Al
so the amsoil filter came in because on their website you just type in the make and model of your car and it generates the oil and filter you need. well the oil is wrong as it suggests 0w-30 and the oil filter is model# EA15K20. I went to change my oil today and the filter looks awfully smaller than the OEM filter on there already. it even specified 2.4 FA24 engine. but when i looked up the oil filter graph subaru isnt even on there.
Did the base plate and threads match? Sometimes there are some size consolidations.

I couldn't get my drain plug out as the oil was still hot so expansion but just by eyeing it. It looks too small and I looked up the filter model on the website and i didn't see subaru listed

I couldn't get my drain plug out as the oil was still hot so expansion but just by eyeing it. It looks too small and I looked up the filter model on the website and i didn't see subaru listed
OK, so, if I use FRAM's cross-reference for that filter, the EA15K20, it crosses to the FRAM PH9688, which does show the 2022 WRX 2.4L as an application:
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 11.56.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 11.57.28 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 11.58.21 PM.jpg

Also looks like the EaO20 and EaO46 are crosses, but they don't appear to exist anymore.

The Ea15K20 has the following specs:
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 12.00.28 AM.jpg

So, dimensions-wise, if we compare:

Filter:FRAM PH9688AMSOIL Ea15K20
Height:3.08"3.08"
Gasket OD:2.42"2.42"
Outside diameter:3.02"3.11"
Threads:M20x1.5M20x1.5
Bypass pressure:9-15psi11-17psi

So it looks to me like this is the correct filter, assuming you actually have an Ea15K20, as it crosses to the PH9688 and the FRAM search tool yields the PH9688 as well.

Back