2022 VW Taos first drive

We owned a 2014 with the 1.8 TSI and I agree it’s a wonderful engine to drive, however it wasn’t free from problems. Water pumps, timing chains and oil consumption are all issues with the 1.8 TSI. When ours started showing signs the timing chain was going out we traded for a new Jetta with the 1.4 TSI and 8 speed auto, a wonderful drivetrain.
I think he was referring to the earlier 1.8T. People look back on them fondly now that there are 20+ year of collective experience with them.

LOL this is real rich coming from someone with a Ford EcoSport which has not had the most glowing reviews in the press and is ultimately a 8-9 year old platform and design at this point......and tell me where was your EcoSport built? Was it India, Romania or Brazil?

EcoSport 2.0 AWD - 166 HP/149 lb/ft - EPA 23/29.
Taos 1.5T AWD - 158HP/184 lb/ft - EPA 25/32
I bought my Ecosport For under 17K New out the door due to big rebates. AWD, Interior quality is Better than the VW and I don't have to pay $40+ for oil. Car is quiet and comfortable and the engine and base radio sounds great.
I had a new Jetta lease my last car. It had its good and bad points but overall impression was a cheap car not fully sorted out with rear springs breaking and falling out and horrendous, damaging wheelhop in the rain, floaty ride, overly assited EPS and poor water management in the decklid and no rear visibility

And then add VW with the industry's WORST powertrain warranty.

You VW fan boys. I'm being objective. You go play up your Brand.

I bought my Ecosport For under 17K New out the door due to big rebates. AWD, Interior quality is Better than the VW and I don't have to pay $40+ for oil. Car is quiet and comfortable and the engine and base radio sounds great.
I had a new Jetta lease my last car. It had its good and bad points but overall impression was a cheap car not fully sorted out with rear springs breaking and falling out and horrendous, damaging wheelhop in the rain, floaty ride, overly assited EPS and poor water management in the decklid and no rear visibility

You had your mind made up about that Jetta before you even bought it. I'm still not sure why you did.

And then we had to hear about it for the duration of your lease. Objective - that's funny.

You had your mind made up about that Jetta before you even bought it. I'm still not sure why you did.

And then we had to hear about it for the duration of your lease. Objective - that's funny.
truth.jpg

I think he was referring to the earlier 1.8T. People look back on them fondly now that there are 20+ year of collective experience with them.
No, I'm talking about gen 3 EA888. The prior generations had more problems. So far the only major issue with the Gen 3 is water pumps.

it looks good + i am a VAG guy, 200 thou on my great 2001 Wolfsburg 1.8T PORT injection, + now a fun 2001 Audi TT 1.8t 225Q roadster!! simpler is better NO DI no slushboxes + surely NO techy newer models!!! all manufacturers are striving for more mpgs while meeting the EPA tougher laws!! i like KISS keep it simple stupid!!! No newer vehicles in my future, but i enjoy looking into reviews etc, being retired i drive only as needed so my 2011 Fronty + 2001 225Q should last!!

You’ll be sick of the new car in a year.

We owned a 2014 with the 1.8 TSI and I agree it’s a wonderful engine to drive, however it wasn’t free from problems. Water pumps, timing chains and oil consumption are all issues with the 1.8 TSI. When ours started showing signs the timing chain was going out we traded for a new Jetta with the 1.4 TSI and 8 speed auto, a wonderful drivetrain.
At what mileage did you start experience the problems you mentioned in your 1.8 TSI?

Around 60k
Thanks. Mine has over 52K right now and so far with 0 issues.
Idle is buttery smooth so no sign of IVD yet. 0 oil consumption between 5K OCI.
Annual coolant lose about 2-3 oz. 43.1 Aver. MPG is outstanding.
How do you know you had timing chain issue? There are many on VW Vortex with 1.8 TSI E888 Gen3 engines with well over 100K miles and some even with tunes and report no issues at all.

Thanks. Mine has over 52K right now and so far with 0 issues.
Idle is buttery smooth so no sign of IVD yet. 0 oil consumption between 5K OCI.
Annual coolant lose about 2-3 oz. 43.1 Aver. MPG is outstanding.
How do you know you had timing chain issue? There are many on VW Vortex with 1.8 TSI E888 Gen3 engines with well over 100K miles and some even with tunes and report no issues at all.
Classic symptoms such as stalling when coming to a stop, and rough idle. VW updated the timing chain a few months after our 2014 was manufactured to a new part because early 2014 builds had a bad design. Ours had the old style chain. It was a matter of time.

I’m glad yours is doing well. We loved the car but between the chain and expensive a/c work that needed to be done it was time to move on.

Back