2022 VW Taos first drive

Autoblog - 2022 VW Taos First Drive

This looks like a VERY solid subcompact CUV entry from VW. Well I should say their 2nd attempt as this is really the successor to Tiguan 1.0 like the article points out. Tiguan 1.0 never really fit in the NA market with it designed more for UK/EU market.

Cliffs notes:

- Larger than typical subcompact CUV but smaller than compact CUV (RAV4, CR-V, etc.).
- 1.5T (158 HP/184 lb/ft). 8 speed torque converter automatic on FWD. 7 speed DSG on AWD.
- Torsion beam rear on FWD, multi-link on AWD.
- 28/36 MPG FWD, 25/32 AWD.

The MPG penalty for the AWD is pretty significant - wonder how much is attributable to the DSG. For comparison the Tiguan 1.8T AWD loses 2 mpg city and 2 mpg hwy and I'm guessing the systems are very similar (outside the DSG).

The interior is visually appealing but like other current gen VW's some interior materials have gone down in tactile quality but much of it is non-touch or low touch areas. Switchgear, infotainment, etc. is parts bin VW but that is not a bad thing as VW does pretty well with all these items.

I am not nor have I ever been a fan of the CUV for everyone craze but I have to say I would look at and consider it. I find this package incredibly handsome.

ALF6917.jpg

ALF6939.jpg

test drove a cx-30 today.. love the drive and handling, transmission and engine
Dash was pretty good, and HUD was interesting.
.. everything else was not really an upgrade from the jeep and some things were significantly *** designed.
such as the no-touchscreen design
and radio controls.. slow and laggy and annoying.

Oh the radar cruise control was GREAT.. Lane assist wasnt as annoying as hyundai.

I will be out test driving a bunch more in next couple months since they want to give me 27400 for my jeep.. that I paid 28.5k new 3 years and 40500 miles ago.

Its not so bad to pay 2-3k more when you are getting extra 6k for vehicle.

Yeah it's a decent handling and riding car from the reviews I watched. Sucks that you have to take the MPG hit if you want the much better dual clutch and multi-link rear, but I think it would be well worth it.

As with all VWs, avoid the panoramic sunroofs if you can. They've been utter garbage forever and VW still can't seem to get them right...

It is handsome looking, even a guy could drive that. The DSG is worth any penalty attached to it, it's that good. We had a 12 Tiguan my daughter just loved and still misses, it does remind me of an updated version.

That giant swath of piano black trim across the entire front of the dash is a total deal breaker. I wouldn't even test drive it upon seeing that, that's how much I hate that garbage.

Otherwise this is a neat little vehicle.

Yeah it's a decent handling and riding car from the reviews I watched. Sucks that you have to take the MPG hit if you want the much better dual clutch and multi-link rear, but I think it would be well worth it.

As with all VWs, avoid the panoramic sunroofs if you can. They've been utter garbage forever and VW still can't seem to get them right...
The drain problem is a VW problem, not just the panoramic sunroof problem. I had the soaked headliner issue on my old MK4 Golf with a regular sunroof. No issues with the panoramic sunroof on my Tiguan, just occasionally lube rails and clean the drain tubes.

But a pro/negative is the shade.
Pro: when parked with the sunroof open, the sun doesn't beat on you and allows for ventilation
Con: the screen design still lets a lot of light in, but the sun's radiant heat also soaks into the cabin.

Since I usually keep the shade open... best thing I did was have 50% carbon/ceramic tint applied for better heat rejection and still see out of the sunroof panels.

Back to the topic:

I believe it comes standard with a digital cockpit now also. Too bad no more 40/20/40 rear seat, and the seat back doesn't adjust and seats down move fore/aft for more cargo room. The 40/20/40 comes in handy when I need to haul the snowboard in the car an other people.

DSG, the weird part is, with the MPG hit, it must be the gearing, because it's a 7-speed DSG vs 8-speed on FWD... and since the introduction of the DSG in VW's, VW has stuck with DSG instead of a conventional automatic with TDI's ever since... but maintenance will be a surprise to new to DSG owners... iirc, every 30,000 miles for DSG fluid and filter changes, and you typically need to remove the battery to get to the filter, vs now 80,000 miles for the ATF change (FWD).

It is cheaper to take one basic design and either shrink or expand it to fit the size class you want. It’s a practical design too.

I agree on the gloss black. What is worse is that some automakers are putting it on the outside now. It’s a scratch magnet and too gaudy for my tastes.

It is cheaper to take one basic design and either shrink or expand it to fit the size class you want. It’s a practical design too.

I agree on the gloss black. What is worse is that some automakers are putting it on the outside now. It’s a scratch magnet and too gaudy for my tastes.
That's the whole premise of the MQB, MLB and MEB platforms. One size fits all platforms.

DSG, the weird part is, with the MPG hit, it must be the gearing, because it's a 7-speed DSG vs 8-speed on FWD... and since the introduction of the DSG in VW's, VW has stuck with DSG instead of a conventional automatic with TDI's ever since... but maintenance will be a surprise to new to DSG owners... iirc, every 30,000 miles for DSG fluid and filter changes, and you typically need to remove the battery to get to the filter, vs now 80,000 miles for the ATF change (FWD).
I wonder if this is the dry 7 speed DSG (DQ200) - it is right at the torque limit for the dry transmission (184 lb/ft). This would pretty much eliminate transmission maintenance outside clutches and flywheels way down the road.

The drain problem is a VW problem, not just the panoramic sunroof problem. I had the soaked headliner issue on my old MK4 Golf with a regular sunroof. No issues with the panoramic sunroof on my Tiguan, just occasionally lube rails and clean the drain tubes.
Yeah that's what I don't get. I've had plenty of experience with older cars. Personally, I've had 2007, 2008, and 2012 Fords all have sunroofs and zero maintenance done on the sunroofs and not one has ever had an issue. I hear people going through the lemon law because their brand new VW won't stop leaking. I'm a VW guy, I own a Golf (with no sunroof), but the engineers need to pull their heads out of their butts in Germany and not make a sunroof that sucks. /rant

That's the other thing. I test drove a '13 TDI Passat with the DSG and it was amazing in terms of smoothness. You couldn't even feel it shift it was that fast. In stop and go it was just so smooth. VWOA is taking pages out of domestic brands and focusing less on driving experience and more on saving $$$. I'd much rather have the DSG in my Golf than the herky-jerky 6 speed Aisin I have.

I’m sure it will sell well since we are in the middle of an SUV / CUV craze. Things I don’t like: it’s a CUV, it has cheap looking plastic on the dash and grille, and the fact that it’s a CUV. Did I mention I don’t like CUV’s? Lol. It has great drivetrain options, and will be powerful for its class. I expect to see a lot of these on the road soon.

I’m sure it will sell well since we are in the middle of an SUV / CUV craze. Things I don’t like: it’s a CUV, it has cheap looking plastic on the dash and grille, and the fact that it’s a CUV. Did I mention I don’t like CUV’s? Lol. It has great drivetrain options, and will be powerful for its class. I expect to see a lot of these on the road soon.
My only issue is that they should have put in the 2.0T that's in the Passat in it for ~180hp instead of the 1.5T that came out of nowhere, especially when the top trim is $35,000.

Back