2022 VW Taos first drive

My only issue is that they should have put in the 2.0T that's in the Passat in it for ~180hp instead of the 1.5T that came out of nowhere, especially when the top trim is $35,000.
VW has used the 1.5 TSI for a number of years in Europe already on the MQB platform cars

VW has used the 1.5 TSI for a number of years in Europe already on the MQB platform cars
I do remember that now that you mention it, but why bring over a brand new motor when they had the 1.8T and 2.0T? It seems like a weird choice to me to introduce a brand new engine to the States when they had 2 perfectly good ones already that fit the bill (and with more power too)? Idk, VWOA is acting weird man.

EDIT: Not to mention no MPI either... :mad:

EDIT 2: https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=117 interesting read about the 1.5T

Last edited:
It's not VWOA that makes the decisions, it's the overlords back in Wolfsburg, Germany that makes the decisions.
I do remember that now that you mention it, but why bring over a brand new motor when they had the 1.8T and 2.0T? It seems like a weird choice to me to introduce a brand new engine to the States when they had 2 perfectly good ones already that fit the bill (and with more power too)? Idk, VWOA is acting weird man.

EDIT 2: https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=117 interesting read about the 1.5T

My only issue is that they should have put in the 2.0T that's in the Passat in it for ~180hp instead of the 1.5T that came out of nowhere, especially when the top trim is $35,000.
The 1.4 EA211 has been a solid power plant that gets stellar MPG, the 2.0 EA888 can't touch the numbers it makes. Having said that the 1.5 TSI does use a variable vane turbo among some other new to the USA tech so time will tell how reliable it will be.

Indeed the 1.5 TSI has been used elsewhere for a few years. VW likely selected this motor to keep MPG high, which is very important to buyers. A combination of good power and good MPG is a win. The jury is out on reliability, time will tell.

Almost certainly they put the 1.5 in it because it is a smaller vehicle, smaller engine. Want the bigger, "better" engine? Buy the vehicle that is more expensive. Additionally they probably wanted to hit a certain fuel mileage.

This CUV checks all the boxes and will sell well. TFL tested it and opined it's a nicer ride than the Tiguan. I love the looks in and out, and the performance is just right.

We drove a brand new Tiguan a few months ago when my wife ended up with her Edge, while I thought it was a good value and solid enough vehicle it definitely did not drive as well as my Passat. Much noisier, did not ride as well as some competitors IMO. If the Taos is better in this area VW will have hit it out of the park, because the market is certainly hot for CUV's right now and many younger buyers will be looking for something a little different.

Looks like a Dodge Journey and Honda Passport had a baby.

Also too small of an engine.

It's in line with pretty much every single one of its competitors in the subcompact CUV class. I don't think Suzie and Todd Q buyer care (or know) one hoot about 1.5T vs 1.8T but know and care about the fuel economy #'s on the window sticker.

Autoblog - 2022 VW Taos First Drive

This looks like a VERY solid subcompact CUV entry from VW. Well I should say their 2nd attempt as this is really the successor to Tiguan 1.0 like the article points out. Tiguan 1.0 never really fit in the NA market with it designed more for UK/EU market.

Cliffs notes:

- Larger than typical subcompact CUV but smaller than compact CUV (RAV4, CR-V, etc.).
- 1.5T (158 HP/184 lb/ft). 8 speed torque converter automatic on FWD. 7 speed DSG on AWD.
- Torsion beam rear on FWD, multi-link on AWD.
- 28/36 MPG FWD, 25/32 AWD.

The MPG penalty for the AWD is pretty significant - wonder how much is attributable to the DSG. For comparison the Tiguan 1.8T AWD loses 2 mpg city and 2 mpg hwy and I'm guessing the systems are very similar (outside the DSG).

The interior is visually appealing but like other current gen VW's some interior materials have gone down in tactile quality but much of it is non-touch or low touch areas. Switchgear, infotainment, etc. is parts bin VW but that is not a bad thing as VW does pretty well with all these items.

I am not nor have I ever been a fan of the CUV for everyone craze but I have to say I would look at and consider it. I find this package incredibly handsome.
My local dealer has these but but VW have them are priced WAY too high.
for a jacked up Mexican made compact with a tiny engine and rear twist beam suspension.
Then add the industries WORST powertrain warranty of 4 years.

No value here until they start discounting the heck out of them.

look here at what on the Lot: VW Taos SE inventory

Wife just bought a NEW midsized 2021 Outback for $26K before trade. And that has a "VW" engine :)

My local dealer has these but but VW have them are priced WAY too high.
for a jacked up Mexican made compact with a tiny engine and rear twist beam suspension.
Then add the industries WORST powertrain warranty of 4 years.

No value here until they start discounting the heck out of them.

look here at what on the Lot: VW Taos SE inventory

Wife just bought a NEW midsized 2021 Outback for $26K before trade. And that has a "VW" engine :)
LOL this is real rich coming from someone with a Ford EcoSport which has not had the most glowing reviews in the press and is ultimately a 8-9 year old platform and design at this point......and tell me where was your EcoSport built? Was it India, Romania or Brazil?

EcoSport 2.0 AWD - 166 HP/149 lb/ft - EPA 23/29.
Taos 1.5T AWD - 158HP/184 lb/ft - EPA 25/32

The drain problem is a VW problem, not just the panoramic sunroof problem. I had the soaked headliner issue on my old MK4 Golf with a regular sunroof. No issues with the panoramic sunroof on my Tiguan, just occasionally lube rails and clean the drain tubes.

But a pro/negative is the shade.
Pro: when parked with the sunroof open, the sun doesn't beat on you and allows for ventilation
Con: the screen design still lets a lot of light in, but the sun's radiant heat also soaks into the cabin.

Since I usually keep the shade open... best thing I did was have 50% carbon/ceramic tint applied for better heat rejection and still see out of the sunroof panels.

Back to the topic:

I believe it comes standard with a digital cockpit now also. Too bad no more 40/20/40 rear seat, and the seat back doesn't adjust and seats down move fore/aft for more cargo room. The 40/20/40 comes in handy when I need to haul the snowboard in the car an other people.

DSG, the weird part is, with the MPG hit, it must be the gearing, because it's a 7-speed DSG vs 8-speed on FWD... and since the introduction of the DSG in VW's, VW has stuck with DSG instead of a conventional automatic with TDI's ever since... but maintenance will be a surprise to new to DSG owners... iirc, every 30,000 miles for DSG fluid and filter changes, and you typically need to remove the battery to get to the filter, vs now 80,000 miles for the ATF change (FWD).
Isn't this a 40/20/40 rear seat? 40/60 with an armrest pass through?

The 1.4 EA211 has been a solid power plant that gets stellar MPG, the 2.0 EA888 can't touch the numbers it makes. Having said that the 1.5 TSI does use a variable vane turbo among some other new to the USA tech so time will tell how reliable it will be.

The GTI 2.0T can't, but the de-rated one they have in the Passat can easily achieve 40mpg.

The GTI 2.0T can't, but the de-rated one they have in the Passat can easily achieve 40mpg.
In some respects you could argue that the ea211 (1.4 TSI and 1.5 TSI) is more refined than that version of the 2.0 TSI. The ea211 makes the same torque numbers as the 2.0 and will get better gas mileage.

In some respects you could argue that the ea211 (1.4 TSI and 1.5 TSI) is more refined than that version of the 2.0 TSI. The ea211 makes the same torque numbers as the 2.0 and will get better gas mileage.
But those precious horsepowers though 😭

We have the 1.4 TSI in our Jetta and it moves the car along nicely.
They used to have a 1.8T that was even faster ;) That's what I have, and I think it's the sweet spot. I've never driven the 1.4 before but I imagine it's got the same peppy low end and probably just less power in the high end.

They used to have a 1.8T that was even faster ;) That's what I have, and I think it's the sweet spot. I've never driven the 1.4 before but I imagine it's got the same peppy low end and probably just less power in the high end.
We owned a 2014 with the 1.8 TSI and I agree it’s a wonderful engine to drive, however it wasn’t free from problems. Water pumps, timing chains and oil consumption are all issues with the 1.8 TSI. When ours started showing signs the timing chain was going out we traded for a new Jetta with the 1.4 TSI and 8 speed auto, a wonderful drivetrain.

Back