2022 Subaru Legacy 2.5, 3437mi, factory fill 0W-20

First oil change on 2022 Subaru Legacy with the 2.5L FB25D engine. OC mandated at 6mo / 6000mi by warranty, so here we are. Factory fill oil ("holy moly"), Subaru blue can (FRAM?) filter. Analysis by ALS (NAPA kit).
Markdown (GitHub flavored):
| Date | 9/24/2022 |
|-----------------------|------------------:|
| Miles on oil | 3437 |
| Miles total | 3437 |
| Oil Mfg | Factory Fill |
| Filter | Subaru 15208AA15A |
| Metals (ppm) | |
| Iron (Fe) | 42 |
| Chromium (Cr) |  | Lead (Pb) |  | Copper (Cu) | 129 |
| Tin (Sn) | 2 |
| Aluminum (Al) | 7 |
| Nickel (Ni) |  | Silver (Ag) |  | Titanium (Ti) |  | Vanadium (V) |  |-----------------------|------------------:|
| Contaminants (ppm) | |
| Silicon (Si) | 444 |
| Sodium (Na) | 11 |
| Potassium (K) |  |-----------------------|------------------:|
| Additives (ppm) | |
| Magnesium (Mg) | 284 |
| Calcium (Ca) | 1609 |
| Barium (Ba) | 4 |
| Phosphorus (P) | 736 |
| Zinc (Zn) | 885 |
| Molybdenum (Mo) | 982 |
| Boron (B) | 182 |
| Contaminants | |
| Water (%) |  | Coolant | No |
| Physical Tests | |
| Viscocity (cSt 100C) | 6.3 |
| Physical / Chemical | |
| Base Number (mgKOH/g) | 4.1 |
"All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample. High Copper level in isolation is probably a result of leaching of oil cooler core/oil additive reaction and does not indicate wear. Silicon level is most likely due to seal and gasket material reaction with the lubricant. Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating range. Action: As oil already changed, resample at next recommended interval to monitor and establish wear trend."

Wow that is low KV100 for a 2.5 knocker.. Whopper Si. Hopefully you don't have a snake of RTV sealant blocking up the oil pickup like Subaru has on the 2.4 l engines.

Too bad ALS didn't perform a flashpoint so you could infer fuel contamination %

Our 2021 outback was very noisy - is yours rackety when pushed?

Wow that is low KV100 for a 2.5 knocker.. Whopper Si. Hopefully you don't have a snake of RTV sealant blocking up the oil pickup like Subaru has on the 2.4 l engines.

Too bad ALS didn't perform a flashpoint so you could infer fuel contamination %

Our 2021 outback was very noisy - is yours rackety when pushed?
Yeah, hopefully Si drops on the next change, which will be in 6mo so I guess I'll find out pretty soon!

The engine doesn't seem especially noisy but the Legacy has a ton of sound deadening stuff in the engine compartment / cabin. My wife has the 2.0l FB engine in her Impreza and it's pretty darn loud on startup.

Glad you posted but UOA's are a waste of time before 20K miles and at least 3 drains. If you push it you could say do a uoa on oil that was changed at say 15K miles. (Just my opinion)

Just for reference on my '22 Forester I switched to 5W-30 after factory drain.

Glad you posted but UOA's are a waste of time before 20K miles and at least 3 drains. If you push it you could say do a uoa on oil that was changed at say 15K miles. (Just my opinion)

Just for reference on my '22 Forester I switched to 5W-30 after factory drain.
You're not worried that 15K mi OCI or switching to 5W-30 might cause a headache if there's a warranty claim?

Silicone and copper were at similar levels when I dumped the factory fill oil at only 1000 miles in my 2022 Crosstrek. Iron: 18, Copper: 113, Silicon: 399. I have done three oil changes since then and I am down to Iron: 9, Copper 10, Silicon 62. You should really watch for fuel dilution. Mine was at 2.4% this last time at only 3000 miles. I will be doing 3000 mile oil changes from here on out unless fuel dilution goes down. Unfortunately your analysis did not include fuel dilution. Very important in my opinion, especially for Subaru engines. Your viscosity was on the low side at 6.3, so I would imagine you had a fair amount of dilution. My last viscosity was 7.8 at 3000 miles and like I said, 2.4% fuel dilution.

Thanks, dezlpwr - just saw your most recent UoA. Yeah it's a bummer, the NAPA kit doesn't do fuel dilution, but it sounds like if I keep an eye on TBN that'd give me some idea of if it was happening?

I'm probably skipping the UOA on the next OC since I'm on even more telework and 6 months for my car is likely 2000 miles or less :/

Back