2022 Subaru Crosstrek LTD 2.5 OEM Oil Filter Photos

Slight edge goes to the Pure 1 on performance, big difference in price;
Wix 57055 is at 99% @23 microns, enhanced cellulose media, $9.79
Pure 1 PL14615 is at 99% @20 microns, high density synthetic blend, $7.49

Pure 1 PL14615 is at 99% @20 microns, high density synthetic blend, $7.49
I doubt it based on the discussions in these threads. I'm betting the only PureOne that's 99% @ 20u is the PL30001 that Purolator references, for a reason I may add ... so people think all PureOnes are that efficient, then they really are not.

I doubt it based on the discussions in these threads. I'm betting the only PureOne that's 99% @ 20u is the PL30001 that Purolator references, for a reason I may add ... so people think all PureOnes are that efficient, then they really are not.

I copied this from Purolator’s website: Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001

Interesting they specifically state on the PL30001, is that just a statement to say what filter they used for the test and would be indicative of all their P1’s? From the other posts, it appears not.

Not even sure what the much-debated bypass pressure is set at for the new replacement.
This is such a beat-to-death moot point by those who don’t understand differential pressure that it’s completely exhausting. @ZeeOSix has repeatedly explained (with references to third-party articles and whitepapers!) how positive displacement pumps work, how differential pressure relates to bypass operation, how internal pump bypasses work, and when all of this grounded-in-results data fails to convince even the most ardent deniers… there is always the rock-solid data that not one single member that owns Subarus, nor all of the myriad Subaru owner sites have produced even just one single engine failure from a “wrong” filter bypass. It’s all pure conjecture, and dissociated from reality at that.

The manufacturers have loads of data on their filter media performance, and how much differential pressure occurs in operation. The bypass valve is designed to meet the requirements for the worst-case scenario. If it’s specced for the application, it’s fine.

Good Morning ZeeOSix,
You called it, here's what I've received from Mann-Hummel on the three Purolator oil filters.

Classic L14615 99% @25
Pure One PL14615 99% @26
Boss PBL14615 99% @>46

So as of now the Wix is better at 99% @23 . . . my database has been updated! Now if they can work on their pricing they'll really move up in the rankings. Perhaps M-H views Purolator has the better brand and Wix as the best brand and is pricing them accordingly. I believe Wix is only available in auto parts stores and Purolator is in retail at Fleet Farm and Menards in Wisconsin.

BTW, I'm finding Mann-Hummel really responsive to inquiries on filter performance. They even provide specific spec sheets for each SKU.

I copied this from Purolator’s website: Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001

Interesting they specifically state on the PL30001, is that just a statement to say what filter they used for the test and would be indicative of all their P1’s? From the other posts, it appears not.
Yes, as shown above, not all PureOne filters are actually 99% @ 20 microns. But the PL30001 is. This is a ploy that most oil filter companies use to bolster their efficiency claim. At least Fram uses the average of 3 different sized oil filters, which is a more accurate way to make an efficiency claim for a line of filters. The size of the filter can have an impact on the ISO 4548-12 test efficiency.

Good Morning ZeeOSix,
You called it, here's what I've received from Mann-Hummel on the three Purolator oil filters.

Classic L14615 99% @25
Pure One PL14615 99% @26
Boss PBL14615 99% @>46

So as of now the Wix is better at 99% @23 . . . my database has been updated! Now if they can work on their pricing they'll really move up in the rankings. Perhaps M-H views Purolator has the better brand and Wix as the best brand and is pricing them accordingly. I believe Wix is only available in auto parts stores and Purolator is in retail at Fleet Farm and Menards in Wisconsin.

BTW, I'm finding Mann-Hummel really responsive to inquiries on filter performance. They even provide specific spec sheets for each SKU.
I value honesty, transparency of product details/specs. I’ll pay a little more for a product for that type of business model.

Back