2022 Silverado Trans Cooler

I couldn't find the trans cooler on my 2022 Silverado 2.7 with 8 Speed trans. I figured it had to have one to be able to tow from factory 9000 lbs. Turns out there is a liquid cooled one bolted to drivers side of tranny that looks identical to an engine oil cooler (which coincidentally is located right next to it). Liquid cooled oil coolers are obviously are way more efficient than air to oil coolers, however, when that liquid is 210 degrees I’m not sure how much help that is. Hopefully it has been battle tested. Aftermarket air cooler ain't happening since there aren’t any trans cooler lines going to radiator area at all (and I’m not running 15 foot of rubber hose).

It also functions as a fluid warmer to bring it (trans/trans fluid) up to temp quicker. Can't do that with an air-to-oil cooler. Helps getting the fluid to the proper viscosity quicker, and eeks out a tiny amount of increased fuel mileage.

It's not about keeping it 'cool' these days, it is about keeping it in a very narrow range of temperatures, hotter than you would historically run an automatic transmisson at.

My 10R80 has a similar cooler and I have no temp problems dragging around a 26'/6000# travel trailer in the summer here in GA. Hottest I ever see the trans is 210, even in mountain slow going.

Last edited:
The 2.7L doesn't have a thermostat or a mechanical water pump. All the cooling functions are divided into cooling loops and coolant is directed as-needed by valves and coolant is moved by an electric pump.

Like, during warm up, all the valves remain closed. As temp comes up (rather quickly), the loop to the heater core opens to warm the cabin. Then loops to the engine oil and transmission are opened to warm them. Given low ambient temps and low engine load, actual coolant flowing through the radiator is very minimal.

The 2.7L doesn't have a thermostat or a mechanical water pump. All the cooling functions are divided into cooling loops and coolant is directed as-needed by valves and coolant is moved by an electric pump.

Like, during warm up, all the valves remain closed. As temp comes up (rather quickly), the loop to the heater core opens to warm the cabin. Then loops to the engine oil and transmission are opened to warm them. Given low ambient temps and low engine load, actual coolant flowing through the radiator is very minimal.
One thing I like is there is a loop near the exhaust manifold especially for the cabin heat…the thing produces heat in the morning so incredibly fast.

I couldn't find the trans cooler on my 2022 Silverado 2.7 with 8 Speed trans. I figured it had to have one to be able to tow from factory 9000 lbs. Turns out there is a liquid cooled one bolted to drivers side of tranny that looks identical to an engine oil cooler (which coincidentally is located right next to it). Liquid cooled oil coolers are obviously are way more efficient than air to oil coolers, however, when that liquid is 210 degrees I’m not sure how much help that is. Hopefully it has been battle tested. Aftermarket air cooler ain't happening since there aren’t any trans cooler lines going to radiator area at all (and I’m not running 15 foot of rubber hose).
The best advice is don't tow 9,000 pounds-not because of the motor.

The best advice is don't tow 9,000 pounds-not because of the motor.
Probably doesn't have the payload rating to get close to 9000#. Most trucks on the road today run out of payload long before you can hit the maximum towing number. His 6000# trailer should be well within limits though.

That's interesting. I would have figured it's ATF cooler would be integrated into the a/c condenser coil like so many these days ( usually the top few rows is for the ATF).

The ZF8's in my Ram 1500s were like that, as is the Jatco built 9G tronic in my 2022 Frontier. Both of those have fluid heaters mounted on/near the transmission itself.

Probably doesn't have the payload rating to get close to 9000#. Most trucks on the road today run out of payload long before you can hit the maximum towing number. His 6000# trailer should be well within limits though.
Yes. Exactly.

Payload of 2010 lbs. Take a 10 percent tongue of 900-1000 pounds, 100 pound w/d hitch, 910 lbs remaining for people and whatever else. Not saying I would do it, but its not out of the realm of possibility. Prob would overload rear axle rating…I generally dont like towing anything that weighs more than the max GVWR of the tow vehicle. Obviously that would exclude a large swath of trailers for a lot of people, but its just my personal comfort thing. To comfortably pull the 6000 pound trailer with my last 4.8 Silverado I had to get 4.11 gears put in. That got a GCWR up to 13000 capability. At the most loaded down the trailer/truck was at a combined 11,400. (Prior to gear switch the 3.42s had 11k limit).

Last edited:
Payload of 2010 lbs. Take a 10 percent tongue of 900-1000 pounds, 100 pound w/d hitch, 910 lbs remaining for people and whatever else. Not saying I would do it, but its not out of the realm of possibility. Prob would overload rear axle rating…I generally dont like towing anything that weighs more than the max GVWR of the tow vehicle. Obviously that would exclude a large swath of trailers for a lot of people, but its just my personal comfort thing. To comfortably pull the 6000 pound trailer with my last 4.8 Silverado I had to get 4.11 gears put in. That got a GCWR up to 13000 capability. At the most loaded down the trailer/truck was at a combined 11,400. (Prior to gear switch the 3.42s had 11k limit).
That's actually quite a bit more than I would have expected. I was thinking probably in the 15-1600# range.

Sounds good to go. Be interesting to hear how it does, I'm sure it will be just fine. I think there's something to be said about lighter engines, especially when it comes to total vehicle weight.

Last edited:
That's actually quite a bit more than I would have expected. I was thinking probably in the 15-1600# range.

Sounds good to go. Be interesting to hear how it does, I'm sure it will be just fine. I think there's something to be said about lighter engines, especially when it comes to total vehicle weight.
Well, I would still never go for the 9000. But like you said, 6000-6200 seems reasonable.

Back