2022 Nissan Frontier Info Reveal Today

That was a great looking truck for sure. You got out of it at a good time given how trucks have been selling.

My only hesitation is these latest direct injected Nissan VQs. I've got one in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder and participate on a few Nissan boards. I've seen/read of an alarming amount of engine failures with these DI VQs associated with excessive sludge build up and most are on very low mileage vehicles, like around 36-60K miles.

I know I've mentioned it a bunch, but the rate at which our 2019 Pathfinder with VQ35DD turns the engine oil diesel engine black, I don't go beyond ~3500 miles between OCIs. Nissan says go 5000. The port injected VQs are a completely different animal in regards to this.
Sounds like neglect.

Sounds like neglect.
To a degree. The ones I've read of "stretched" oil changes to ~7000mi . The recommendation per the OM is 5000 using 0w20. FWIW, I use 5w30 in mine like I did in my previous port injected VQs. No engine should sludge to the point of death in 2-4yrs and under ~60K miles, even with a ~10-12K OCI IMO.

I know we talk about it often here and I'm going OT, but this situation still intrigues me. How can simply moving a fuel injector from upstream of an intake valve, to downstream have such a dramatic effect on the engine oil across all makes/models? I get there's some fuel dilution, etc. but there's got to be other reasons.

To a degree. The ones I've read of "stretched" oil changes to ~7000mi . The recommendation per the OM is 5000 using 0w20. FWIW, I use 5w30 in mine like I did in my previous port injected VQs. No engine should sludge to the point of death in 2-4yrs and under ~60K miles, even with a ~10-12K OCI IMO.

I know we talk about it often here and I'm going OT, but this situation still intrigues me. How can simply moving a fuel injector from upstream of an intake valve, to downstream have such a dramatic effect on the engine oil across all makes/models? I get there's some fuel dilution, etc. but there's got to be other reasons.

Does this include the new 3.8L in the Frontier?

A lot of owners - in fact, maybe a majority - have their oil changed either at the dealer, or, at the local quickie lube, both of which are known to use bulk oil that‘s not the best quality, and don’t use top quality filters.

A good quality 30 weight synthetic and a good filter like a Fram Ultra and I bet those sludged engines would have been fine.

If it was a two chain setup with two sets of tensioners , guides, etc I'd feel better about it. But DI and a very long single timing chain just seems like a bad time in the making after the first set of owners get rid of them and didn't keep up with maintenance

Two hours to go. If they would make a new Toyota T100 type that carries 4x8 sheets flat in the bed, gate closed, with a normal step in height, 4 cyl engine and a 5 speed manual, it would be nice. Manual windows, manual a/c, and 15k Msrp. That’s what I want.
i bought a new base model silverado 1500, 4.3, 4x4, n3500 for 15k in 2007, it was the outgoing gmt800 model. msrp was probably low 20’s though.

Mercedes-Benz 9G-Tronic transmission - Wikipedia

"It is also fabricated by Jatco for use in Nissan and Infiniti vehicles."

Also here is the alliance agreement.

89933.pdf (alliance-2022.com)

5.) License for Daimler next-generation 9-speed automatic transmissions Facts:  Nissan has been granted a license to manufacture Daimler’s advanced 9- speed automatic transmission with latest technology for use in Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.  The transmissions will be manufactured in Japan by Nissan’s subsidiary Jatco starting in 2018 and will feature "start and stop" and "park and shift by wire” technologies.

Truck looks nice, too many buttons on the steering wheel. I've always liked the Frontier. The painted corner bumpers are a negative though.

Think I'll just keep throwing parts at my 1990 Ranger XLT with 88k miles on it. Its easy to get in and out and is getting 21mpg around town on its 2.9L. After a hip replacement I just can't make it in all these tall trucks.

Back