Any feedback on the new Frontiers?

I’m looking at getting a new “midsize” pickup in the next 6-12 months. I’ve driven the new Frontier as a rental and was actually quite surprised at how well it rode, and how smooth the engine/transmission combo worked together.

But, how are they working out as far as reliability/durability? Do we know anything about weaknesses in the 3.8L, or the new 9sp transmission? Squeaks and rattles in the interiors? Any problems that folks are reporting back on?

I´m shopping and if you equip a Frontier vs a Colorado, the Colorado will nickel and dime you much more on the packages.
....also, the Pro4x seems like the best **** value out there. Many are raving over the LED lights the upper trims get. The steering is a little heavy feeling, and the turn radius is not that great. The seat comfort and the LEDs seem to win over people.

@JTK owns one - so hopefully he weighs in.

It has a lot of goods and a few bads if the boards are to be believed.

It uses a virtually identical driveline (sans engine and trans) to the previous generation. There are a few updates, but this is good news because it was rock solid. I own the older model.

The new engine is a modernized VQ with GDI. The VQ line is one of Nissan's best engines so hopes for it are high. Its also been around since 2020 - they put it in the old chassis for 2 years - so odds are good if it had any real problems we would already know.

The transmission is a 9 speed mercedes trans - Jatco licenses the design and builds it themselves. It hasn't had any real problems except a parking pawl recall - which was a machining issue not a design issue. So I think these are being replaced now.

The huge downside is the parking pawl has given the vehicle a huge black eye with Consumer reports, so there rating this vehicle at the bottom of their list. I almost consider this a badge of honor - all my best vehicles were on the bottom of their stupid list.

Clubfrontier is pretty active, so you might want to peruse over there for a while.

The huge downside is the parking pawl has given the vehicle a huge black eye with Consumer reports, so there rating this vehicle at the bottom of their list. I almost consider this a badge of honor - all my best vehicles were on the bottom of their stupid list.
This truck is a sleeper for sure! Again identical driveline, which IMO for a Truck, you stick to what works, not redesign the wheel every 7 years. I only looked at Nissan cause the 22 Tacos came with POS driver seats.

I own a 2023 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. I bought new in October 2022 and have about 6700 miles on it. I've owned Japanese cars most of my life from Nissan, Subaru and Mazda but I've also owned a few Fords (for comparison). Ask me anything (on the truck)? :)

I like the truck. Very smooth driving, good power and delivery. We use ours quite a bit for long range camping (added a SoftTopper). We've had one experience towing a pop-up around 200 miles round trip which the truck did with ease. The suspension is great in a truck like, not car like, way. It feels solid and substantial. The LED headlights are a must.

The gripes, for me, are few. The transmission does buck a bit at low speeds. The cruise control will drop gears into high rpm to regain 1-2 mph. That's about it.

We have these at work and I am disappointed.

Ride quality and handling are mediocre at best and fuel economy sucks.

I am however pleased with the sound system. And performance in a straight line is competitive. Although sensitive throttle off idle takes some getting used to.

It was a great lease deal for 18 months, this time last year. The craze has simmered, but i assume with all the other options being ground up changes, this one can be had for a discount.

I've put 33K miles on my 2022 so far. Mine is a crew cab, short bed 4x4 S-model.

Like said above, time will tell how well the VQ38DD and jatco copy of the MB 9G tronic do. I enjoy the power train. Good power, performance and economy. It does vibrate at idle a bit and the ride is stiff and jarring with just the driver in the truck. Super smooth with some weight in it. Most of your maintenance is easy to DIY. The transmission requires a specific plastic tool kit for draining, filling and level check and a fluid pump for filling. Doesn't look too bad though.

The hydraulic r/p steering is stiffer than you'll be accustomed to, but you get used to it.

Braking and handling are excellent.

I find the base halogen reflector headlamps to be excellent. So much better than other trucks I've owned.

Zero squeaks or rattles inside or out. Some of the body panel gaps are huge, but they're consistently huge if that makes sense.

If you choose the rare crew cab long wheel base/bed that can be had in the SV model, the turning radius is annoyingly huge for the size of truck. My FIL has a 2017 frontier configured this way. Short wheel base does not have this problem.

My only complaint with my S model is the only way to adjust the side view mirrors is by pressing against the glass with your digits like a caveman and there's no defrosters in them. Oddly, the mirrors are loaded with blind spot warning sensors and LEDs. First world problems.. 😂

I would recommend this truck and would buy another.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Seems to be that most owners have the same impressions I do from when I rented one.

I didn’t mention the model I rented was a Pro-X 2wd. So, the upgraded suspension probably helped it to ride better.

I noticed Nissan doesn’t recommend extended OCI’s on these. Are the newer VQs hard on oil?

I like these as well and plan on looking at them as well as the new Tacoma. I really like the red model with the 90’s looking wheels. It does come with a roll bar looking thing which may have to go if I ever get an old man cap for my work tools.

I did see on a Facebook group some odd failure were the rear axle broke where the tube meets the center housing. Looked like it was one who cast piece. (Never crawled under one. No idea.) Worth looking into. The front cowl can plug up as well and allow water to puddle inside the floor like a heater core failure. Another odd issue.

Thanks for the replies. Seems to be that most owners have the same impressions I do from when I rented one.

I didn’t mention the model I rented was a Pro-X 2wd. So, the upgraded suspension probably helped it to ride better.

I noticed Nissan doesn’t recommend extended OCI’s on these. Are the newer VQs hard on oil?
VQ has been hard on oil ever since it came out in 1994, (back then it was 2.0/2.5/3.0L engine sizes worldwide). That's why many users kept OCIs on the shorter end (5k or below), and upped the viscosity to a 0w40/5w40/10w40/15w40. I believe Nissan was recommending 3250-3750 miles per OCI. And that was with MPI engines. Add in the GDI to the mix - and it's pretty clear that extended OCIs are not a good idea.

Idk when I'll be able to afford the new Frontier, but thankfully the previous 4.0L/6MT/4WD versions are coming down in price and getting closer to my budget. Yay. Some call it outdated, I call it proven perfection.

Last edited:
I wish they had the 4cy manual transmission as the 6 is thirsty. With GDI you have to change oil more often . If you can fit a catch can on the PCB it will pay off.

I also read somewhere that the Frontier have a very high percentage of parts made in the USA.

Back