2022 Mitsubishi Outlander

Range Rover models in America barely seem to run at all.
I liked that Mitsubishi had the guts to slap their name on the hood of the 8+ model year old Outlander just like Range Rover! Fake it till you make it? To be honest I'd rather live with the Outlander, I can't afford german cars, let alone british...

I have recommended a lot of Outlanders over the years. The GT models with the 3.8 Liter V6 is among my all time favorite engines.

However I also recommend a 30k interval for the transmission fluid because the CVTs are a bit more sensitive to age and wear. If you're ever going to get it done anywhere that isn't a dealership, make sure the shop has a mechanic who has been through a certification course for Nissan CVTs.
The Outlander only got the 3.0 V6 which needed premium for 220hp!? with a timing belt too... We might've got one if it had a better engine as I liked the size and 7 in a pinch seating is a bonus.
The Endeavor had the 3.8, and atleast for one guy at work, was the most reliable vehicle he's ever had. Zero problems in 300k km. Just tires and brakes and lots of gas.

I prefer timing belts myself. No biggie. I have a test drive scheduled when they hit the dealer. Mitsu has that on their website.
I hope the oil change ordeal stays easy and simple like before.
I assume the 3L is gone ?

The 3.0 is gone. Nothing wrong with timing belts. I had a few cars with them but the 92 Mitsu Expo was the first one for me that they had to remove the engine to change the belt. That gets to be an expensive job. That 1.8 4 cyl engine ran for about 360,000 miles before the transmission conked out.

Here is the engine for the Outlander. Nissan PR25DD.

The Nissan Engine in my 2014 Rogue was a garbage QR25-DE

I would l rather have a Mitsu 2.4 L engine anyday I think :)

Well, at least I would not want another QR 25 DE:

Nissan_QR25DE.jpg

Those 2.4 motors would run forever. The biggest problem with them in the Outlander was power. Some didn’t like the acceleration. They came with the CVT so that didn’t help matters any. The top of the line model GT had the 3.0 V6 with a six speed Invecs automatic. A really nice package.

My English teacher in 12th grade had three Mitsubishi Outlanders and one she had serviced at the dealership and they put in one of the spark plugs upside down so it had a horrible misfire she had me look at it I pulled the plug out with a magnet checked the gap and put it back in correctly and it ran like a charm then. She still has me service her vehicles now lol.

My English teacher in 12th grade had three Mitsubishi Outlanders and one she had serviced at the dealership and they put in one of the spark plugs upside down so it had a horrible misfire she had me look at it I pulled the plug out with a magnet checked the gap and put it back in correctly and it ran like a charm then. She still has me service her vehicles now lol.

I wonder how they did that?

It's different, but it's still another CUV. I wish they would bring back a proper body-on-frame Pajero/Montero/Shogun again with real off-road abilities, as well as iconic vehicles like the 3000 GT VR-4 and Starion that will live up to the name and reputation.

As far as Mitsubishi build quality goes, I will say this; I got no rattles/squeaks or broken/cracked trim pieces on my 21 year old Pajero with over 300,000 miles on it. My other vehicles are not far behind age wise, but have nowhere near the same mileage. While I got no broken/cracked/torn interior parts on them either, there have been some annoying squeaks and rattles I've had to deal with. Heck, if anything, the seat foams are still well intact and like new, which is something I've replaced twice already on the Mercury and GMC for the driver's seat. Then again, Ford and GM's build quality of the 80s, 90s and 2000s aren't anything to write home about either. Of course this does not mean the same is true for every single Mitsubishi vehicle, but those guys know a thing or two about hard wearing interiors.

They literally dropped it down in the cylinder and didn’t thread it in. And had the boot setting just on top of it.
Yes had some passive - aggressive mechanics over the years. Or, just too many drugs.
I would say maybe < 1/4 of all mechanics out there are truly good - Just like Dr's and Dentists,

Last edited:
Agreed Falcon
I'd like to see some upscale trimmings and road noise isolation and some more frame rigidity.
Don't know much about the new 2.5L but I would have liked to see 200 HP.
No that's overtuned, Nobody drives at 6000 rpm.

Advertising Wars are NOT making cars faster, just more SLUGGISH in day to day driving.

Even my little-but-massive EcoSport SUV is way overtuned at 166HP - 83HP per litre, NA.

I have no idea I guess they got lazy. There is probably a reason that dealership closed down now. They also had the lube techs doing plugs there so that may have been part of it.
But they put a vehicle outside that has a MIL on? I can understand forgetting to tighten 1 plug, and I could conceive that the one they forget was dropped upside down. It all depends what was going on in the workshop at the time... should be caught when starting the engine though.

But an engine running on 5 iso 6 or 3 iso 4 cylinders, and a MIL on? That's not just careless, it's negligent.

Back