2022 Mercedes-AMG SL engine assembly at the factory

Really interesting video of a R232 4.0L V8 biturbo engine being assembled. The video is linked to start at the "One Man, One Engine" part. Maybe the most amazing part is how quiet the tools and factory are, with background conversations in the area being clearly audible in addition to all the ambient sounds!

That is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. I've seen a few other videos of engine assembly. It is always fascinating.

I suspect the impression of how quiet it is, is artificial. They have filtered/muted the sound. I've been in a few auto assembly plants, and there is a lot of noise. It isn't super loud. You can easily carry on a conversation with others. But there are a lot of busy noises.

While the electric torque guns are not real noisy, the do make more noise than shown in the video. I've never worked around hydraulic torque guns, so I can't speak for those. In real life, you would have heard the automated vehicles that transport the engines during assembly when they moved. I suspect there would have been a fair amount of sound coming from the engine test station. Solenoids operating valves and such.

Then of course all the background noise. Beeping coming from AGV's or forklifts. Clatter and banging as parts are assembled. Whirring of motors. Exhaust fans. Carts banging as supplies are taken on and off at each assembly station.

One man one engine, bad idea for manufacturing. Assembly line is better because someone else in line may catch a goof up from the previous person. No human is perfect and will make mistakes, many of those One man one engines have failed through the years that has been happening. Yes and so have assembly line engines failed too. Any sort of assembly failures or other manufacturing failures are usually caused by distractions of one sort or the other. Distractions ? like someone asking a question, needing to finish fast for a bathroom visit, family problems, bad commute to work, the boss just finish griping at you etc.

One man one engine, bad idea for manufacturing. Assembly line is better because someone else in line may catch a goof up from the previous person. No human is perfect and will make mistakes, many of those One man one engines have failed through the years that has been happening. Yes and so have assembly line engines failed too. Any sort of assembly failures or other manufacturing failures are usually caused by distractions of one sort or the other. Distractions ? like someone asking a question, needing to finish fast for a bathroom visit, family problems, bad commute to work, the boss just finish griping at you etc.
Yup. Down stream inspections can be very important, especially in a manual assembly operation.

Hopefully, they have added a lot of error proofing. I would imagine that the engine is kitted, with the exact number of parts. One engine build process I saw, included sensors in each part bin, to verity that all components has been removed from the appropriate bins, before allowing the assembly operation to proceed to the next step. I noticed him scanning in a number of the parts. I would also imagine that the torque guns are counting and recording torque values for each fastener.

And if one doesn't reach the specified torque, there should be some failsafe. For example, the torque gun stops functioning, without the tech acknowledging on the OIT (operator interface terminal) that the last fastener didn't meet torque. Then the torque gun should go in reverse, and the operator has to remove the fastener that didn't meet torque. Perhaps he is allowed to try to torque the same fastener again, and perhaps not.

There are plenty of error proofing methods that are much more effective than down stream second set of eyes inspection.

Yeah and no matter which assembly job we are talking about, believe me, after a few months or so, a person would be very tired of it.
It could become a super day dream job, where your mind escapes and thinks about what the next big week end plans are.
Same old thing jobs every day over and over can wear a person out, opens up for all kinds of mess ups.
Those kind of jobs need to let the workers take time off if they need to.
This is the reason for alot of the robotic operations in auto assembly.

Back