2022 Mazda CX-9 - HPL PCMO 10W-20 - 7,211 Miles

Posting for @OhioTech.

This is a followup UOA to this one in June.
2022 Mazda CX-9 - High Performance Lubricants PCMO 10W-20 - 4,987 Miles

Here is the VOA for this oil.
High Performance Lubricants PCMO 10W-20 VOA

In previous OCIs, this engine has exhibited a high amount of fuel dilution. A decision was made to switch to HPL PCMO 10W-20 as it is straight base oil with no VII and holds up well to fuel dilution. This OCI was run about 50% longer than the previous OCI. The engine did see a bit of short tripping and idling with some long distance drives mixed in.

Iron (Fe) total content increased slightly from 14 to 15 ppm.
Iron (Fe) accumulation rate per 1,000 miles dropped from 2.81 to 2.08 ppm.

Copper (Cu) total content dropped from 26 to 8 ppm.
Copper (Cu) accumulation rate per 1,000 miles dropped from 5.21 to 1.11 ppm.

Silicon (Si) total content dropped from 28 to 18 ppm.
Silicon (Si) accumulation rate per 1,000 miles dropped from 5.61 to 2.50 ppm.

Fuel dilution increased from 2.9% to 4.3%.
Fuel dilution per 1,000 miles increased from 0.58% to 0.60%.

Code:
Vehicle: 2022 Mazda CX-9
Engine: 2.5L 4-cylinder turbo GDI
Total miles: 12,319
Miles on OCI: 7,211

Wear Metals (ppm)

Fe - 15
Cr - 0
Ni - 0
Al - 6
Cu - 8
Pb - 1
Sn - 0
Cd - 0
Ag - 0
V - 0

Contaminant Metals (ppm)

Si - 18
Na - 4
K - 0

Multi-Source Metals (ppm)

Ti - 1
Mo - 557
Sb - 0
Mn - 0
Li - 0
B - 0

Additive Metals (ppm)

Mg - 1850
Ca - 1117
Ba - 0
P - 683
Zn - 805

Fuel - 4.3%-GC
Soot -  Water -  
KV100 - 8.1 cSt
TBN - 7.81
Oxidation - 28
Nitration - 15

William Stox Mazda CX-9 HPL PCMO 10W-20 2nd OCI - Redacted.jpeg

Wear metals look pretty good to me considering its a DI turbo 4 cylinder in a pretty large vehicle. That's ignoring the fact that this is still a young engine. Even more impressive.

I have to wonder if a sampling error is leading to higher fuel readings since wear is not trending with fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Whether it was 1/2 quart or 1 quart, that's not bad for 7,200 miles on these engines. I've noticed they tend to use some oil, even those made well before the TSB notice on consumption.

Sump capacity lists 5.1 quarts. I put in 5 quarts, run it for a day, the low oil light comes on. Add the extra 1/2 quart from the prior interval - ran ~6100 miles - light came on again. Topped with 1/2 quart.

Never seen the stick above about 1/3 on the marked area when hot! I figure it probably holds closer to 6-6.5 in reality, based on the stick - and if I put that in the sump, it probably would have no makeup.

It uses 6 quarts by the time the interval is through, average mpg lifetime is roughly 24.8 mpg. I got 28.5 going to Manteno for the open house.

4B00E0F4-1C38-4352-A19F-186D9C93FDB2.jpeg
DB1DE294-FABA-4694-85C4-BC077AFE4C84.jpeg

So, I compiled a spreadsheet - where the residual is taken into account, as well as the amount of various elements in the VOA.

After 12K miles (2nd interval on the new oil, still has ~8% of the original 5W-30 in the mix), the only statistically relevant wear numbers are:
1 ppm/1K copper (watching the trend, I expect this to be near 0 total on the next change as surface oxidation completes, and leaching stops).
2 ppm/1K iron - this would be acceptable if it continues - I suspect based on trending it will actually be lower next sample.

Everything else came up less than 0.5 ppm/1K. Basically, statistically irrelevant!

Not bad for a base stock with a good slug of polar Ester that will show elevated metals because it will keep them attached/in suspension!

Also not bad considering the fuel dilution seen!

Edit: also thought it worth noting that the original oil at 4.6% dilution went from 9.5 cSt to 8.1 cSt. At ~16% mix, the 2nd sample at 2.9% dilution, with an oil starting at 8.4 cSt, was 8.0 cSt. The 3rd interval, Oxidation went up 1 number - but with a higher 4.3% dilution, and ~8% of the original oil, cSt was back up to 8.1. I expect the next change to be closer to 8.2 or 8.3 even with the dilution, and no difference to current in the oxidation. I was told at the open house that gasoline attacks VII badly - I didn’t really realize how much that would affect the KV100!

Last edited:
How did you come to the conclusion that there is exactly 1.162 residual quarts of oil in the engine? Seems like at best, there are some assumptions in this number that would therefore affect all your other "inferences", no?

How did you come to the conclusion that there is exactly 1.162 residual quarts of oil in the engine? Seems like at best, there are some assumptions in this number that would therefore affect all your other "inferences", no?

That is the difference in the “service fill” and the “initial fill” listed in the engine service data. It’s 1.1 liters.

As we use quarts for everything, I converted to quarts to make it easier.

Why is OhioTech posting for RDY4WAR?

:unsure:
RDY4WAR generally posts my reports.
I created an account at his request, and have started to participate some here.

I found it helpful to eliminate some background noise in the raw data.

Is it perfect - probably not - but it is a lot closer than looking at the raw numbers.

RDY4WAR generally posts my reports.
I created an account at his request, and have started to participate some here.

I found it helpful to eliminate some background noise in the raw data.

Is it perfect - probably not - but it is a lot closer than looking at the raw numbers.
yeah, sorry, didn't read the first line where he said he was posting for you lol

yeah, sorry, didn't read the first line where he said he was posting for you lol
Of some interest, potentially - I’ve run this spreadsheet on a few different oils, from a few different platforms - some trends show up as I’m doing this - the Magnesium is usually within a very tiny margin of expectations - a couple ppm variance.

Calcium is always depleted somewhat (40-70 ppm seems normal, but most of these samples are in the 5-8K range). Zinc depletes at 4-5X the rate of phosphorous, and both end up lower than the expected value.

Boron, if included in the formulation, also depletes. This makes me think it’s useful - but the oils with less boron show higher rates of depletion of phosphorous in relation to zinc (closer to 4 instead of 5).

Moly depletes.

Near everything else ends up exactly where you expect.

I have a small dataset so far, but I’m working on getting more data to work with!

It is good report, but I can’t wrap my mind around that fuel dilution.
So, right after buying it, I went looking at UOAs for the engine - tons of 5W-30 Blackstone reports showing KV100 in the 8s… that screamed dilution to me!

I discussed this with @RDY4WAR - he agreed that looked a bit suspicious.

That lead to me asking if he knew of an oil with a roughly 2.9 HTHS, extremely resistant to dilution, with a solid HTFS.

His response back kind of shocked me!
Think Merlin in Top Gun when Maverick says “I’m bringing him in closer”.

Then he explained it has a good slug of Ester, no VII for the gasoline to attack… and here we are!

So, right after buying it, I went looking at UOAs for the engine - tons of 5W-30 Blackstone reports showing KV100 in the 8s… that screamed dilution to me!

I discussed this with @RDY4WAR - he agreed that looked a bit suspicious.

That lead to me asking if he knew of an oil with a roughly 2.9 HTHS, extremely resistant to dilution, with a solid HTFS.

His response back kind of shocked me!
Think Merlin in Top Gun when Maverick says “I’m bringing him in closer”.

Then he explained it has a good slug of Ester, no VII for the gasoline to attack… and here we are!
Yeah, looks good. I can’t remember seeing that engine with such dilution. Are those mostly short runs?

Yeah, looks good. I can’t remember seeing that engine with such dilution. Are those mostly short runs?
Define "short"?
If I take it to work - 7.5 miles - 11 stop lights, 4 stop signs - no limits above 35 - hilly terrain (NEOH)
If my wife drives it - 2-5 miles to "town" for whatever she needs, and back.
Aside from that, generally we take it on any longer trips, usually at interstate speeds.

The dilution rate is relatively consistent, and given that I've seen many upon many reports with heavier American 5W-30's (starting cSt 10.5-12) ending in the 8.0-9.5 cSt range - I doubt that it's unusual for this engine!

I'm rather more impressed with the fact that I expect my next interval to finish with a cSt of 8.2 or 8.3 - when the oil starts at 8.4!
I truly did not grasp how great an affect gasoline would have in terms of attacking the VII in the oil - the factory oil would have had a starting KV100 of 9.5 assuming it's Idemitsu, which is very likely. It fell to 8.1 with 4.6% dilution. The base oil likely has about a 7.1 cSt viscosity - so 4.6% gasoline "sheared" the VII, for lack of a better term, 60%?

We see PuP at 8.4 in 4.6K...
More of the same - factory oil was SN version of Idemitsu in 2017 - Starting KV100 would have been around 10.7 cSt.
Edit: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2019-mazda-cx-5-2-5t-m1-5w30-7422-mi.322218/
This is the smaller/lighter CX-5 with the same engine - and SN+ Spec M1 - 2019 PDS for this shows starting KV100 of 11 - here we see it finished at 8.7!
I easily believe the dilution numbers!

This is what I was seeing on this vehicle when I asked for a recommendation - the 5W-30's being used weren't exactly staying in spec!

Last edited:
Back