Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, 7400 km (4598 mi), 2018 Mazda CX-9 (2.5T GDI)

First timer here.

API SN-RC and all previous categories
ILSAC GF-5
ACEA A1/B1-10, A5/B5-10, A1/B1-12, A5/B5-12

Oil was in service from May to Oct (six months). Temps ranged from 30c to 10c. New OEM oil filter and AEM dry flow engine air filter were used. I drive it fairly aggressively on a daily basis, but rarely go WOT (maybe once or twice a month, just to stretch its legs). Mileage on the vehicle was 29127 km (18099 mi) at the time the sample was taken. I regularly change the oil every 7000-7500 kms, and I use a new OEM Mazda oil filter (PY8W-14-302) every time. It's fueled with Shell 91 only. During the last fuel fill before the oil change, I added a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner and ran the tank to almost empty, then changed the oil (and took this sample).

The car has a CorkSport air intake modification and a throttle response controller. Nothing out of the ordinary to report as far as ownership. The CX-9 has over 30000 km right now and appears to be running perfectly fine so far.

Previous oil change (not reported) was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with 6750 km (4194 mi), new OEM Mazda oil filter with AEM dry flow engine air filter in use.

UOA was performed by Bureau Veritas in Edmonton, AB.

Code

OIL PUP 5w30

MILES IN USE 4.6k

MILES 18.1k

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/16/19

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM
IRON 15

COPPER 3

LEAD 1

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 51

NICKEL
MANGANESE N/A

SILVER
TITANIUM 2

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 64

SILICON 21

SODIUM 1

CALCIUM 2415

MAGNESIUM 13

PHOSPHORUS 663

ZINC 728

BARIUM
VANADIUM
ANTIMONY 1

INSOLUBLES N/A

WATER
FLASHPOINT �F N/A

SUS VIS 210�F N/A

cSt @ 212�F 8.4

VISCOSITY INDEX 179

PDF copy of report attached.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 58
Last edited:
Good looking report, Silicon may be a bit high?
If it was my newer turbo car, I would run an SN+ oil such as PP. Specifically formulated for reducing LSPI.
The give away is the low Calcium additives in the SN+.

I think PUP has now been reformulated with lower Ca higher Mg, at least it claims to be SN+ now. But this report looks more like non-SN+ version, I think.

One of these days I will remove the PPPUP from my signature line...when I figure out what to replace it with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NuttCase
Thanks for posting. Is the KV of 8.4 within specification for a 5W30?

No, a 30 weight starts at 9.3 cst @ 100c.

Originally Posted by Danno
If it was my newer turbo car, I would run an SN+ oil such as PP. Specifically formulated for reducing LSPI.

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually switched to Castrol Edge 5w30 when I took the sample. I plan to have another UOA done around the same time next year, after 2 or 3 more oil changes with Castrol Edge.

I really wish the lab provided more insight on the results of the UOA. Fellow Canadians, do you have any recommendations on other labs to use for a UOA?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sm1ke
Originally Posted by Danno

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually switched to Castrol Edge 5w30 when I took the sample. I plan to have another UOA done around the same time next year, after 2 or 3 more oil changes with Castrol Edge.

I really wish the lab provided more insight on the results of the UOA. Fellow Canadians, do you have any recommendations on other labs to use for a UOA?

Oil analyzers has a lab in Edmonton, the only downside is that it actually cost more in total with shipping vs Blackstone.

They were very fast to process the UOA and they use gas chromatography for a precise fuel dilution number.

Oil Analyzers INC.
5140 75th St.
Edmonton, AB T6E6W2

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
Oil analyzers has a lab in Edmonton, the only downside is that it actually cost more in total with shipping vs Blackstone

Never mind about that BSLabs isn't worth their price. OAI gives more and better data; use them.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Oil analyzers has a lab in Edmonton, the only downside is that it actually cost more in total with shipping vs Blackstone.

They were very fast to process the UOA and they use gas chromatography for a precise fuel dilution number.

Oil Analyzers INC.
5140 75th St.
Edmonton, AB T6E6W2

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Never mind about that BSLabs isn't worth their price. OAI gives more and better data; use them.

Thanks guys, I'll use them for the next one.

Iron at 15 ppm might be high for only 4600 miles, algthough without seeing Blackstone Lab's universal average, it might be normal for that engine.
Originally Posted by sm1ke
The car has a CorkSport air intake modification and a throttle response controller.
Silicon isn't radically bad, yet it would be worth it to check the air intake modification for sealing around the edges. Better breathing could just suck in more siilicon dust to some extent, as any air filter will let some in. What kind of throttle response controller is that? Never heard of that mod, and am curious what Mazda thinks of it.

Recommend switching to a better oil filter. Fram Ultra XG6607 filters better than Mazda OEM type.

Last edited:
What kind of throttle response controller is that? Never heard of that mod, and am curious what Mazda thinks of it.

Sorry for the extremely late reply, lol. The throttle response controller is a Sprint Booster. The car is about to crack 100k kms and it's been working perfectly fine the whole time.

Back