2022 Ford Maverick first drive review by Alex on Autos

Not that anyone needs to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall more than once every 10 years or so.

I'll take the F350 rental truck for 27 bucks when loading up for "home projects" at the big box store.

Remember guys, this is a frame-less, Front wheel Drive 4 cylinder Ford Focus or Bronco Sport with a bed instead of a hatch.

But I am sure the buying population will go nuts because they think even a cheap fake truck is worth 27 grand.

Regardless of my grumbling and hesitancy, it is a brilliant move by Ford.

Did he really says that some people are calling this America's first truly compact pickup truck at the 0:30 mark? I think some may have forgotten what put the Asian manufacturers on the automotive map here in North America.

What's all the hype on this truck? It looks like a rehash of the Explorer Sport Trac from 10-20 years ago. About as useful for hauling stuff as the crew cab pickups with the ridiculous 4 foot beds. If you need something for hauling stuff, why not get a pickup, and if you need something for carrying people, get an SUV. This is just a compromise like the Honda Ridgeline and the old Chevy Avalanche, neither of which were a large sales success.

Last edited:
Did he really says that some people are calling this America's first truly compact pickup truck at the 0:30 mark? I think some may have forgotten what put the Asian manufacturers on the automotive map here in North America.
Yep, the mini-truck! I remember when those were everywhere.

One thing I find interesting with the Maverick is the internet Buzz is not negative about it. People hate the ridgeline, but everyone seems to love this. If they truly plan to make the $19000 hybrid XL model in any sort of volume, it'll be a massive success.

Maybe in 3 or 4 years when we've recovered from the new house purchase I'll consider one. FWD and snow tires has never let me down.

Yes he is. Right here in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
He is thorough, but he can get very wordy with constant unrelenting jabber that can be wearing.
I would absolutely watch his videos though if I was considering a vehicle.
The most entertaining guys ar on throttle house. And they do not seem beholden to anyone.
A lot more upbeat than The Savage Geese with his dour pronouncements

Yeah, that's hyperbole.

Don't forget the Japanese trucks grew in size after the late 1980s. The Toyota Tacoma is much bigger than its 1970s ancestors. The old Ford Ranger that ended production in 2011 was the last small pickup that was still considered "compact", and even it wasn't quite as small as the original Japanese pickups. My 2011 Ranger SuperCab is about 1-1/2 feet shorter overall than my dad's old standard-cab Chevrolet Silverado with 8–foot bed, so it wasn't "small".

I noted in another thread that the new Maverick is actually roughly the same size as the old extended-cab Ranger and larger than the old standard-cab version. The wheelbase is just a few inches shorter than that Ranger SuperCab. So the Maverick really isn't a tiny vehicle at all.

Not that anyone needs to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall more than once every 10 years or so.

I'll take the F350 rental truck for 27 bucks when loading up for "home projects" at the big box store.

Remember guys, this is a frame-less, Front wheel Drive 4 cylinder Ford Focus or Bronco Sport with a bed instead of a hatch.

But I am sure the buying population will go nuts because they think even a cheap fake truck is worth 27 grand.

Regardless of my grumbling and hesitancy, it is a brilliant move by Ford.
I don't know-you read the various vehicle forums on the Internet and it would seen that people buy 4 x 8 plywood every day. But yes-I would agree. I think a few are going to buy this thinking major "truck like" traits and are going to be sorely disappointment. I'm not taking away the good things about the Maverick-but it is what it is and should be used as such.

I don't know-you read the various vehicle forums on the Internet and it would seen that people buy 4 x 8 plywood every day. But yes-I would agree. I think a few are going to buy this thinking major "truck like" traits and are going to be sorely disappointment. I'm not taking away the good things about the Maverick-but it is what it is and should be used as such.
I frequently buy plywood. A lot of it.

You want to know what is a LOT easier to load plywood into than my 8' bed f350?

My 4x8 utility trailer behind my DD car . A maverick with a small utility trailer will do 99.999% of homeowner tasks.

He is thorough, but he can get very wordy with constant unrelenting jabber that can be wearing.
I would absolutely watch his videos though if I was considering a vehicle.
The most entertaining guys ar on throttle house. And they do not seem beholden to anyone.
A lot more upbeat than The Savage Geese with his dour pronouncements
Yeah Alex is a bit anal ain't he ?

LOL. He's from Redwood Estates.

JeffKeryk can appreciate that one.

I frequently buy plywood. A lot of it.

You want to know what is a LOT easier to load plywood into than my 8' bed f350?

My 4x8 utility trailer behind my DD car . A maverick with a small utility trailer will do 99.999% of homeowner tasks.
You are an exception. All the "keyboard reviewers" always mention the plywood thing and they don't even own a house....

When Covid first became a thing, this may sound silly, but after buying a little extra food like canned goods and freeze dried, I bought a few sheets of cabinet grade plywood. I’m being serious here, no sarcasm… yes, I stocked up on plywood. I figured if I got stuck at home for a few weeks, it would give me something to do - shelves, or end tables, or something. They eventually became a set of tweed-covered baby PA subs. At least for a bitoger, plywood and drywall consumption isn’t out of the question!

I don't need a new truck because I am happy with my 2017 Canyon but if I were in the market I would consider the Maverick hybrid because of the MPG. I've had full size trucks when I needed a full size truck. I don't need one any more. My boat is smaller (dropped from 25 ft. to 15 ft.) and the only other thing I tow is a 10 ft. utility trailer with my zero turn on it. Like others have said, a utility trailer solves a lot of cargo carrying problems.

The only caveat I would have about the Maverick is I could not use a FWD truck. I would never even think about trying to pull a boat out of the water on a steep, wet boat ramp with a front wheel drive vehicle. Ford needs to offer the hybrid Maverick with AWD before I would consider it.

Back