New to Mercedes

We were looking for a mid-size SUV for my wife to make hauling our grandson around a little easier. Thought we were going to come home with a late model BMW X5 with low miles. Instead, we ended up with a CPO 2021 Mercedes GLE 350 with 20k miles. Pre-owned sales manager made us an offer we couldn't refuse after we went across the interstate to drive a 2022 X5 with 28k miles. Got the GLE for 8k less than the X5. Of course, being an aggressive driver, I loved the turbo inline 6 and handling of the X5, but it was going to be my wife's car. The turbo 4 in the Mercedes was surprisingly sufficient for my wife's style of driving. She may or may not have quickly exceeded the interstate speed limit by a significant amount on the test drive. She liked that smooth Mercedes ride, and the price convinced us to try our first Mercedes. We're keeping the BMW 528i for a spare because at 112k miles, I didn't want to be offended by what they might offer as a trade-in.

I thought I'd miss the V6 in my 2014 Mercedes when I got my '18 in my sig.
My salesman said "No. you won't!" and he was correct.
Good fuel economy around town, great power, and 36 mpg highway. Top speed 133 and gets there pretty quickly. What's not to like?
That engine is rev happy, and the 9 speed trans is perfect!

I looked at a few BMW's as well when I first went to Mercedes. Was moving from a Caddy DTS at that time. The most annoying thing for me was lack of shoulder room, cramped seating position. They weren't very quiet on the highway either IIRC.
MB beat them in every case.

Congrats on your choice!
Oh, BTW, maintenance cost on mine,other than oil changes, has been exactly $0.

Only one I've taken. I'll try to do better, but I'm hot from working in the garden.

GLE 350.JPG

Congratulations! I turned to the Dark Side in December 2022, when I traded my 2014 M235i for a 2020 C43 sedan. Absolutely no regrets.

I really want to love a bmw enough to overlook the firm seats which I’ve never been able to get quite right. Volvo ownership spoiled me. I was quite impressed with seat time in a Mercedes a short time ago - but rather terrified to own one as a diy guy when it comes to maintenance. How’s Mercedes doing nowadays in reliability?

I really want to love a bmw enough to overlook the firm seats which I’ve never been able to get quite right. Volvo ownership spoiled me. I was quite impressed with seat time in a Mercedes a short time ago - but rather terrified to own one as a diy guy when it comes to maintenance. How’s Mercedes doing nowadays in reliability?
Mercedes reliability has gone down in recent years.

As far as reliability, I've read all the horrible reviews, but mine have been good, no issues.
Personally, I would avoid the C Class. A friend has one and broke door handles (cables?) and such.
I'll stay with E class and up.

My wife thinks that the sport seats in the C43 are more comfortable than the BMW sport seats in her X1 and the ones in my Club Sport, but she has never found the BMW seats to be uncomfortable. The only BMW seats that we both didn't like were the base seats in our old E90 328i.

Beautiful SUV. Supposedly the 3 point star stands for the domination of land, sea and air. Leave it up to the Germans! :p

Knock on wood, my C43 has been problem free at. 36,500 miles. Tire wear has been a bit more than I expected but I tend to drive enthusiastically.

IMG_8316.jpeg
IMG_1242.jpeg
IMG_3268.jpeg
IMG_2387.jpeg
We bought a 14 glk250 Blu tec in 14 with 7k executive lease miles, from a dealer We loved it until the emission systems started throwing codes and we spent close to 2k and then the def went crazy smoking at 40k so we traded it in at a dodge dealer for a ram.I’m not at home but on vacation in newland NC otherwise all the incidental information would be available but now we are getting the xt5 caddy when we get back it’s being transferred from a Illinois dealer.Hope it makes her happy because she never stops reminiscing about the merc.I put stoptech slotted rotors and EBC green stuff pads on it for all the traveling we did.The 2.1 twin turbo diesel was great till it wasn’t.
IMG_2932.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful SUV. Supposedly the 3 point star stands for the domination of land, sea and air. Leave it up to the Germans! :p
I think this isotoxal star was loaned from the Celts. In Celtic culture it symbolizes land, sea, and air. The domination part must be a Teutonic addition.

View attachment 221469View attachment 221470View attachment 221471View attachment 221472We bought a 14 glk250 Blu tec in 14 with 7k executive lease miles, from a dealer We loved it until the emission systems started throwing codes and we spent close to 2k and then the def went crazy smoking at 40k so we traded it in at a dodge dealer for a ram.I’m not at home but on vacation in newland NC otherwise all the incidental information would be available but now we are getting the xt5 caddy when we get back it’s being transferred from a Illinois dealer.Hope it makes her happy because she never stops reminiscing about the merc.I put stoptech slotted rotors and EBC green stuff pads on it for all the traveling we did.The 2.1 twin turbo diesel was great till it wasn’t.View attachment 221473

My wife liked Mercedes car but we never seriously looked at one until the local Mercedes dealer hosted a reception for a friend's charity. While there I looked over several cars; a few days later I noticed that Mercedes also sponsored The Five (my wife and several of our friends think Greg Gutfeld and I were separated at birth). I took that as a sign that I should consider an M-B- and the rest is history.

My wife liked Mercedes car but we never seriously looked at one until the local Mercedes dealer hosted a reception for a friend's charity. While there I looked over several cars; a few days later I noticed that Mercedes also sponsored The Five (my wife and several of our friends think Greg Gutfeld and I were separated at birth). I took that as a sign that I should consider an M-B- and the rest is history.
I am not knocking Mercedes only that the diesel emissions was prone to problems.And I would get a new one or Audi or Volvo but I found the models that fit my specifications for storage and height were all mild hybrids and no way am I gonna be a Guinea pig on possibly my last new car.We still have reservations but the caddy is very nice tows some but super overpriced.Has to fit here!
IMG_1068.jpeg

Last edited:
Mercedes reliability has gone down in recent years.
Mercedes was at it peak in the 1990's, making the best possible cars that were designed to go 400,000 miles.

Sadly, in the recent Consumer Reports magazine issues I've seen that rate car maker reliability,
Mercedes had one of the worst reliabilities of any car manufacturer.

I have just over 103k miles on my '14 E350. The only reliability issue I have had, is the seat cushion covers tore, so I had to replace both the driver and passenger seat cushion covers. That's it. Not a single other reliability problem.

I do most all my own maintenance and, for me at least, I find my E350 a joy to work on. Hopefully you will find the same with your GLE350.

Congratulations. Hope your wife really enjoys it. My wife wants here next car to be a Mercedes SUV. We are still trying to decide if the newly redesigned GLC300 would be big enough for our needs, or if we should look at the GLE.

Last edited:
I am not knocking Mercedes only that the diesel emissions was prone to problems.And I would get a new one or Audi or Volvo but I found the models that fit my specifications for storage and height were all mild hybrids and no way am I gonna be a Guinea pig on possibly my last new car.We still have reservations but the caddy is very nice tows some but super overpriced.Has to fit here!View attachment 221515
ALL diesel cars have issues with SCR. It got better recently, though, including Mercedes. They all share most of the parts, NOx sensors, heart elements in DEF tanks etc.

Back